Carlton Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Russell

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have two question---One I need correct answer----One I would like every ones opinion

I have two Stihl saws 028 and MS360 can these bars be used on them Bar cps 20--ss63 and bar cps 22 ss63. Now these saws are used. with these bars would I need new sproket and rims?

This I need all opinions in what I did Or Said Wrong

A business had these bars on sale. I began my email with Mr.---
and copy the information about bars as they had it printed. I asked If I would be using poor judgment in using these bars are should I use the 3/8 --50 bar. I also asked about sproket and rim Would I need different ones

I do not know if the questions were take as an Insult---stupied---crazy. My email was returned to me from the company as I had sent with nothing but my own words.

I reply and apologize. -----As the Good Lord knows I do not understand. I gave my word that I would never ask them a question again.

Tell me like you see it do not hold back on feelings I have been here on Gods Earth over Seventy Years. I can take it I have learned how to many years ago.
I am not mad with any one about this Will buy from company but not asked any Question

Doug.

:confused:

According to ther Stihl Bar and Chain catalog the same bar mount is used on the 024, 026, ms270, ms280, 028, 029, 030, 031, 032, 034, 036, 038, 039. 040, 041, 042, 044, 045, 046, 056, 064, and 066. so, if one fits, they both fit, If you are replacing the bar at least check the sprockets, some manufacturers recommend a shcedule like this, 4 chains, 2 sprockets, and one bar, these parts "should" wear at this rate, actually mileage will vary.

Sedanman

I do not have this type of informantion thanks

Now can I use the same sproket on my saw that is 3/8 pitch with a 063 gauge or would I need one with more tooths like 8 in stead of 7 plus rim . From what I have seen posted 063 is heavery chain with thicker dl The carlton bar was on sale for $ 19.95 A solid bar with replaceable sprocked. Never seen a carlton bar. would it be in the same class as stihl bar

Thanks

Sprocket tooth count is like the gear ratio of a car. It has an effect on accelleration and top speed, of the chain, not the motor. More teeth = higher chain speed with less torque and vice-versa. Guage should have no place in the descision on which sprocket to use. The weigh differnce between .050 and .063 chain is marginal in all casese except possibly racing.

Sedanman

You are correct on this answer also. I have know for years larger sprocket gives more speed and larger tires on a car will make your speed showing miles ph in the dash slower than the car is traveling==ticket for speeding. Even a bike with larger sproket===faster speed with less peddling. Your answer made me think of some times gone by that were yesterday The past.

Sedanman

You are good and I feel sure you know saws like the back of your hand. In my part of the country when that statement is made about some one it is saying they are one of the best in that field.

You are staying a way from the quality on bars that I would like to have your opinion---that ok-----Now what make of bar do you have on your saw--- Is your saw a Stihl?

Many Thanks

While .063 may be a common gauge I would not consider it that common(considering your saw sizes).You will need 3/8 pitch .063 gauge chain to match that new Carolton bar(assume you currently have .050 gauge bar and chain,3/8 pitch chain and 7 tooth rim sprocket).

.063 gauge would be more practical on a 066(chain has to endure higher torque) but overkill for a 036 or 028 in my opinion.I would not be surprized if .063 gauge chain costs a little more than .050 gauge when replaced.

To sum it up I would buy .050 gauge bars and not consider a 0.63 gauge bars for your size saws.I also consider a 7 tooth sprocket fine for your saws.

Rick

Just a note on why I think there shouldn't be so many choices on chain pitch and guage combinations. Stihl as a general rule puts .325 .063 on their mid size saws and 3/8" .050 on the bigger stuff, up to say an 066. Husqvarna generally uses .058 for everything. Small saws are not in this discussion. Obviously a .050 chassis is tough enough because you don't hear about Stihl saws killing chains. I FIRMLY believe that the reason Stihl and Husqvarna don't use standardized chain is that neither wants to admit that the other might be on to something. To answer the question of my saws, I have a dozen (maybe 2) saws, half are Stihls. All of my Stihl saws currently have Stihl bars, but won't when the bars wear out. I have had good results with Oregon Power match bars. I have a few GB bars but have not used them enough to be a good spokesman for them. From a cost standpoint only I think Oregon cutting attachments are a good value. Jeff Sikkema has great prices on GB bars too.

like sedan,ive noticed that when stihl uses .63 gauge it usually .325. if thats on the 028s i doubt its on he 036.. its probably 3/8.
in short 3/8 sprocket requires 3/8 bar an chain no matter what gauge. same with
.325. i personally think the 028 is better with .325 while 036 takes to the 3/8 better. are u confused yet.. if so then join the crowd . also good luck to u.

Sedanman--Ricksvar--Tony

You Guys Are Very Kind. Each one of you have given the answers I need to make the correct decision about the bar for my saws

As the saying goes---- if you want to know the right answer Ask The People That Know--I did

I know that I can not return the favor in helping you Guys with the answers to Questions in this field But I surley would if I could.

Many Thanks

PS as long as there are people like you Guys there will always be a Site like this one---This is why our country Stands Tall There is Some One Ready to give or Help when asked.

I would recommend a Carlton, Windsor, or a GB brand bar with a 3/8 pitch .050 gauge configuration for your saws, This will pretty much make the parts interchangeable and simplify the task of purchasing new chains. I personally used to run oregon bars exlusively, I have since started using Windsor bars. I would never go back to the oregon brand bars again, the windsor brand has stellite welded in to the bar rails for greater durability, plus the nose assy has 5 rivets instead of 1 to hold it in place. Truxt the pros to get the right answer for you, thats what I always do and it hasnt failed yet.

Latest posts

Back