carlton bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachcomber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
been lurking for awhile here, great forum. im looking at the 33'' carlton premium sprocket tip bar at baileys and want to know if i can make it fit my 044. the bar is for the big mount 14mm studs and is 404 pitch. my 044 is 12mm studs and 375 pitch. is there some sort of aftermarket spacer? will i have to change the drive? thanks.

To the best of my knowledge you can't buy an adapter to run the big mount stihl (also the same as a big mout domar with different oil hole location) on a normal small mount Stihl.

It would not be hard to make one if you have access to a mill.

Changing over from 3/8 to .404 is just a matter of swapping the rim sprocket out. If your clutch drum does not have a removeable rim sprocket, then you will need a new clutch drum. Just make sure to get a clutch drum with a removable rim instead of the sprocket as part of the clutch drum. Rim sprockets are cheap, Clutch drums are not.

Also, that long bar is alot of bar for a stock 044. you might have oiling problems as well. 404 is a lot larger tooth and will take a bigger bite out of the wood which takes more HP to run it. i personally would not run 404 on a 440/044.

The other thing you could do, is buy the bar, then buy a 3/8 replacement tip. Then you will have to run 3/8 .063 gauge chain, but you would not have to change your clutchdrum/rim setup either.

Last edited:
My big slot 44" GB bar came with a simple adapter so that it could also fit smaller bars.
The simplest DIY adapter is to find a steel spring with a 12 mm id and 14 mm od and cut a couple of turns off and use these to pad out the bar bolts.
The next simplest is to use a piece from a 14mm siam tensile steel bolt and drill 12 mm holes in it.
This is best done with a lathe.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies, looks like the 4o4 aspect of the bar makes it a deal breaker ,i like the spring trick bob

Hello , a 3/8 would cut faster because of its smaller size ,with less waste of wood . In the past i have run my 460 on a home made mill its light and fast youll like it .

been lurking for awhile here, great forum. im looking at the 33'' carlton premium sprocket tip bar at baileys and want to know if i can make it fit my 044. the bar is for the big mount 14mm studs and is 404 pitch. my 044 is 12mm studs and 375 pitch. is there some sort of aftermarket spacer? will i have to change the drive? thanks.

Best advice is,

get a saw that will fit that bar,

you can not have too much power when milling.

I picked up a 32" Carlton bar at bailys, 3/8 drive on close out sale for 36 bucks, for a husky. Now I need to make the slot bigger or cut the shoulders off the bar nuts . Lol.

My big slot 44" GB bar came with a simple adapter so that it could also fit smaller bars.
The simplest DIY adapter is to find a steel spring with a 12 mm id and 14 mm od and cut a couple of turns off and use these to pad out the bar bolts.
The next simplest is to use a piece from a 14mm siam tensile steel bolt and drill 12 mm holes in it.
This is best done with a lathe.

Morning Bob,

Never thought of using a spring. I machined a piece of stainless steel bar stock to the od needed for the 50" stihl bar I adapted to my mill and bored it out to the .375" diameter bolts I have on the mill. Then used a parting tool to cut a bunch of them, never know when I might loose one in the field. Tweaked my back again so I haven't done much milling this year.

jerry-

Back