Carlton SP7015 vs Rayco RG50

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John464

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone have either of these machines? If not how about another brand similarly powered self propelled? Getting demo's on each shortly and would like to hear some real world experience.

Planning to trade in a Vermeer SC352.

No contest

Anyone have either of these machines? If not how about another brand similarly powered self propelled? Getting demo's on each shortly and would like to hear some real world experience.

Planning to trade in a Vermeer SC352.
Rayco 50 -49hp
carlton 7015-60hp.
rayco hydraulic power transfer to wheel
carlton, direct drive to wheel [no hydra. power loss]
Rayco, lever controls, poor visability, better wear a mask!
carlton,remote control, away from chips and dust, see what your grinding.
No contest...Carlton
If rayco ever put a remote on their super 50 it might be a competition.
New carlton 7015 32-35k
Rayco super 50 over 40k
Only rayco plus is more dealer network for warranty work.

howel,

thanks for the great summary! The local Rayco dealer also wants me to try the new RG66. I believe it has 66hp? One main reason Im considering Rayco is because of the dealer. They are also a Bandit & Timberwolf dealer who've I purchased many machines from and they've alwasy been great. They use to sell Carlton but dropped them because of Carlton's handling of warranty work.

Ive never had a grinder with a remote, might be nice!

Last edited:
I agree with howel67264. I have a Rayco RG 50 and I also have a Carlton Track machine with remote. The remote feature is fantastic. If Rayco ever went to a remote machine Carlton would have more competition. I like the Rayco machine other than the swing out control panel. The Rayco trailers are junk because they are not made very heavy duty. There is no Rayco RG66. Its called the Rayco RG 50 Super.

Sp 7015

I have the 7015 and its a real powerhouse. The sandvik wheel is the only way to go, dosn't throw many chips at all and very smooth. Just my two cents.....:blob2:

My Carlton 4012 with a 33HP Kubota and Sandvik Wheel will out cut the Rayco RG50. I know this is hard to believe - but I demoed both, have owned a lot of stump cutters and ground a ton of stumps. My Carlton with 4WD was $23,000, Rayco 50 with 2WD was over $35,000.

Over 100 Hours on it since March and I am still impressed.

I didn't get the remote but will next time!!

Last edited:
Bigstumps,

that is impressive! If you were considering the RG50 I assume you were also considering the Carltion 7015. What made you decide to go with a smaller machine?

Bigstumps,

that is impressive! If you were considering the RG50 I assume you were also considering the Carltion 7015. What made you decide to go with a smaller machine?
I considered the 7015, I went with the 4012 because it was cheaper. I do just enough stumps to justify buying one, if I did more stumps I would have gotten the 7015.

Bigstumps,

Carlton brought out both the 4012 and the 7015 track. I have a big tow behind and was really wanting to replace my Super Jr. I was impressed with the track but I didn't need the power since I have the tow behind for my big stuff.

I never used my small grinder near as much as I do now. I no longer fear the 30" stumps!!

Thinking of getting the track next spring - or sooner depending on Hurricanes!!!

Ahh I see. Two machines is nice, but I think you would be even happier when you get that big self propelled 7015. A large machine that can get in tight spots on its own and blasts through stumps is ideally what I want. Not sure If I need it though. Been running around with two Vermeer 352's the past 3 years and there hasn't been a stump job I couldnt do. However, since our recent acquisition of a grapple loader Im having guys stand around watching the stumps get ground since the wood flies in the truck so fast now. Before, we could be grinding stumps while the guys were loading the wood(manually).

Decisions...Decisions....

Yea, I have realized tow behinds are a thing of the past. I built my business on the tow behinds and they are nice for the giant blow overs in a storm.

I am finding with the little 4012 I'm pretty fast compared to backing around a yard and trying to avoid all the obsticles. A lot easier on the truck parking in the street!!!! Maybe I'll finally get a nice truck without scratches all over it!!!! (even more money!!)

I agree with howel67264. I have a Rayco RG 50 and I also have a Carlton Track machine with remote. The remote feature is fantastic. If Rayco ever went to a remote machine Carlton would have more competition. I like the Rayco machine other than the swing out control panel. The Rayco trailers are junk because they are not made very heavy duty. There is no Rayco RG66. Its called the Rayco RG 50 Super.

agreed on the trailers.

There was a 66 though....I used to build them..... They might not have it now, but they did a run of them for at least 8-12 months

The Carlton will beat the Rayco andy day of the week. They've never let me down and overall I think they're the best stump grinder made after using a Rayco and Brush Bandit. I wonder what the Morbark is like though?

The Rayco dealer let me have a brand new Rayco RG50 on Thursday as a trial in hopes I would cut the check the check come Monday. I put about 4 hrs on the machine. The machine was picked up and brought back to the dealer today.

My biggest gripe was that swing out shield was so close the machine. I grind in shorts, no pants for me on 90+ days when just working levers. Well with the Rayco I would need to wear pants. My legs were slightly bleeding from chips and rocks hitting them. And the dust from standing so close to the wheel.
Also they were so little of small teeth on the wheel. Looks much more wimpy than my 352's equipped with Tomahawks.

It did grind a bit better than my 352's, but not enough for me to comprehend the big difference in price between the two. I also thought how long it would take to break even on a $36,000 stump machine. Thats a lot of stumps!

I called Carlton direct to have a local dealer contact me last week. No response yet. There may not be a local dealer...so Im not sure what to do at this point. Perhaps may try the Sandvik on the 352's to get another few more years out of my current machines?....

Last edited:
No Contest

Carlton all the way!!!!!!! My competition has a rayco and he is always broke down. I get a lot of his jobs because he dosent show up because his equipment is broke!

John,
Try one of these dealers:

Seely Equipment 1325 Rte. 34, Farmingdale (800) 866-0156
(I use them for all my Carlton parts)

Cherry Valley Tractor 55 West Rte 70, Marlton (856) 983-0111
(I'm not sure if they still carry Carlton, I know they carry Rayco)

This Choice Is A No Brainer. Carlton Is The Only Choice As Far As Im Concerned. I Hav The 4012 Kubota With The Remote. I Couldnt Imagine Anthing Else. My Average Stump Size Is 3' And This Machine Goes Thru Them Like Nothing. Get The Remote Youll Never Go Back! Also Dont Skimp And Get The Sandvik! As Far As Waranty With Carlton Ive Never Had A Problem At All... Got A New Exhaust Within Days As The Last One Broke At The Weld(design Flaw) The Exhaust Is Too Heave And Is Not Suported. I Recieved A Replacement Hose Within Days After Seeing Excess Wear On A Hose. So Far Amazing Warranty Service.

Latest posts

Back