Carlton SP7015 vs Rayco RG50

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbad

ArboristSite Lurker
need advise about grinders

I am thinking on getting a grinder of about 30 HP, but not sure where to put my money. I'm relatively new to this business. Can any of you comment about price, reliability, quality or any other important aspect on the following brands:
Vermeer SC352
Carlton SP4012
Bandit 2100
Rayco RG 1635 Super JR

your inputs will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sbad

Bigstumps

Bigstumps

ArboristSite Operative
I've got a 4012 with a Kubota pushing 200 hours. So far so good. I had a 1625 Rayco - it was a good machine. The power of the Kubota is way beyond the Kohler engine, the 4012 also moves much better.

Just depends how much you plan on using it and how much you want to spend.

I wish I had the Kubota years ago. I am finding I am using it a lot more than I ever used my Rayco because of its ability to get through larger stumps in a reasonable amount of time.

Any of them should make you money. The Vermeers are probably the lightest built but have the best dealer support - I don't want dealer working on machines anyway.

Sand Dollar

Sand Dollar

ArboristSite Lurker
Sbad

Bigstumps is correct when he tells you that you must know what you plan to do. If you plan to grind stumps as your main income, you want a Carlton 7015. The Carlton 7015 is good for residential and commercial application. Easy to navigate in tight areas.
Carlton 4012 is excellent for residential and light commercial use. Sandvik wheel a must.
I started a a grinding business only, reviewed all machines by both design and hands on demos. Carlton cost more, however, can't beat them. I have not needed any major parts yet but anything I needed, ie. teeth, filters, etc. I had in two days by mail. One day if I wanted to drive 2 hrs. Currently, 4012 has 1141 hrs, 7015 has 3021 hrs.

sbad

ArboristSite Lurker
Bigstumps and Sand Dollar, thanks for your replies.

I am planning on doing this part time (after 4 pm and during weekends). I am on early stages of planning and if I conclude that is viable for me I will be getting the grinder during October to November.
The little bit of research, that I have done, is pointing me to the SP4012 with a Kubota and unless I find an used machine in really good shape and low hours I will try to buy it new, I am just concern about the flow of work and being able to do my monthly payments. In this regard, I have a couple more questions that I would like an answer.

Is there any low season? I am located in southeastern Virginia.
With the Sandvik wheel how often would I need to change teeth?
What do you think about buying an used machine?
Is there any rule of thumb to determine rates per inch of a stump?

Thanks,
Sbad

Sand Dollar

Sand Dollar

ArboristSite Lurker
Sbad

Is there any low season? I am located in southeastern Virginia.

I can't say, seems like the winter to me. But slow.... some thoughts on that:
Most tree service companies get paid when the entire job is complete. That means you must be able to meet thier time needs. Furthermore, hours of operation are day light only, a grinder can kill you if you make a mistake and in the dark it is easy to make a mistake. The market ( additional money people are willing to spend ) varys like the housing market. If houses are selling, chances are you will get work. Other wise could be very slow.

With the Sandvik wheel how often would I need to change teeth?

That is determined on the amount of rocks and stumps you cut. Here in Fla the sand and landscape rock dull my teeth. i replace them every other month. found a guy who can sharpen them a a low cost.

What do you think about buying an used machine?

A good low hour used machine will serve you well and you can find them everywhere.

Is there any rule of thumb to determine rates per inch of a stump?

It is varies by grinder. I tried charging by the inch but I could not seem to get it right. So I charge $100. per hour. With experience you will be able to know how long it will take to cut a stump. I have a min. charge , regardless of size, of $55. Multiple stumps is where I can make a little more.

Hope this helps

Bigstumps

Bigstumps

ArboristSite Operative
I think Sand Dollar got everything right!

Pricing - I figure by my time with a minimum, carefull giving an "estimate" over the phone, customers don't tell you whole story and once you shoot them a price on the phone it is impossible to get them to understand it is going to be more once you get there.

Doing the job - be reliable as a subcontractor and make sure to cut the stumps to consistent depth and get all the roots, you will get a reputation and you want it to be good. Also look professional and extra courteous (where is spell check???) - you'll be able to charge more and you'll get referrals.

Part Time - This is how I started. I still like to cut on Saturdays, everyone is home and the machine attracts attention. If you are right there and people see the neighbor getting it done they are likely to get it done right now.

Slow Time - Right now I am seeing things a little soft. No work between Thanksgiving and mid January

Used Machines - Great way to start but don't try to go so cheap on the used end that you are doing nothing but fixing it. There is a lot of junk out there that has had no maintenance and will nickle and dime you to death. There are also good deals to be had and your exposure will be less. Buy my 672 and you'll be happy - actually this would not be a good 1st grinder for a part timer

Teeth - Keep them sharp. You'll save time and maintenance. If you're not mechanical don't think about getting in it. Machines take maintenance and I'd hate to think about all my hours doing nothing but making the Vermeer dealer rich.

Enjoy it! It is very different from my 1st career and I enjoy being outside running around and meeting customers. I also like seeing a finished job.

Enough mid night ramblings!!!

sbad

ArboristSite Lurker
thanks for the advise.
I can do a little bit of work with machinery and like doing maintenance on machines.
I think I definitely will get the Carlson machine and Will try to get a used 4012 with a Kubota engine (low hours) for the next month or two, please let me know if you know about any; if not I think I'll buy a new one. Hopefully I will make enough money to do my payments.
Sand Dollar, would you please forward me the information on the guy that sharpen your machine teeth?

gr8scott72

gr8scott72

Addicted to ArboristSite
thanks for the advise.
I can do a little bit of work with machinery and like doing maintenance on machines.
I think I definitely will get the Carlson machine and Will try to get a used 4012 with a Kubota engine (low hours) for the next month or two, please let me know if you know about any; if not I think I'll buy a new one. Hopefully I will make enough money to do my payments.
Sand Dollar, would you please forward me the information on the guy that sharpen your machine teeth?

If you're doing this part time, payments on a machine is not the way to go. Save up and pay cash. You won't regret it.

sbad

ArboristSite Lurker
Trailer: Open or Enclouse

Have any of you try to loading a Carlton 4012 on a enclose trailer?
I don’t have my machine yet but found a 6X12 trailer, which I would like to buy.
I know that w/o duals tires the machine is 35” but I really have no idea how difficult would be loading it on this type of trailer? And would like to hear your opinion about loading it

Thanks,
Sbad.

ibadvanced

ibadvanced

ArboristSite Lurker
trailer

As long as you aren't putting to much wieght on a single axle, why not. Just make a set of ramps that will work. I haul my SP7015 in an enclosed trailer, but its all metal, 2 axle, 7000 lbs and has a 2x6 floor with an inch rubber mat over it. Always garaged and locked up. The only problem is when it gets all dusty and dirty after a job, it doesn't get blown off going down the road...I think the advantages outway the disadvanages---just my 2 cents

ibadvanced

ibadvanced

ArboristSite Lurker
trailer

I'm not sure how much a 4012 weighs, my 7015 is 3500 lbs. but check the flooring out good on the trailer, might have to reinforce. Alot of these trailers are cheaply built----Good luck!!!!!!!

Latest posts