Carlton sp7015trx or Vermeer sc60xt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey Foresty

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has any one ran the two machine,s side by side (vermeer sc60tx & carlton sp7015trx)
Witch machine is more podutive ?.....I have owned and ran the carlton but have had no expereance with the vermeer. Is it as good or is it any better....good and bad point,s....any feed back please

Ive ran and wrenched on both, as a former Carlton mechanic, im gonna always lean towards Carlton as the SP7015 is really the most desirable stumper out. The Sc60tx is an ugly awkward to operate machine that can be a pain to service and repair with high long term cost of ownership. That being said the sc60tx does deliver good power to the cutter head somewhat comparable a Carlton. Most pros run or want to run a Carlton grinder.

Ive ran and wrenched on both, as a former Carlton mechanic, im gonna always lean towards Carlton as the SP7015 is really the most desirable stumper out. The Sc60tx is an ugly awkward to operate machine that can be a pain to service and repair with high long term cost of ownership. That being said the sc60tx does deliver good power to the cutter head somewhat comparable a Carlton. Most pros run or want to run a Carlton grinder.
Thanks for the information....I only have good things to say about my 2007 Carlton. I ran a revolotion cutting wheel on mine after the sandvik wheel wore out... great package. Sadly the new kubota powered machine was a bit dissapionting. The kubota engine upgrade is great but the new track base they now run is 3" taller than the old Chermack one.... not that there is anything wrong with that but Carlton have not changed the geometry of the cutting head....therefor the machine grinds 3" less only 12" deep not 15"....I also run a Bandit 2900t that is not without issuse,s.....great cutting capacity 74" swing 26" deep. But the hydrostatic cutting head absorb,s at least 25% of the 114hp motor,s power.....combine this with the additional fuel it,s notmuch more podutive.....I made my own 80hp grinder in the end.... have a look in the case studies of are website www.baileyforestryengineering.co.uk let me know what you think....I don,t understand why Vermeer have not put there sc1152 on tracks!!!!!

As far as undercarriages, I know Morbark is using Nachi, which has relocated the their hydraulic operation to Michigan. I believe that Carlton maybe using the same undercarriage as well. I agree about the Kubota power unit as I am a huge fan the oil-cooled Deutz, but some didn't care for them.
As far as the Sandvik wheel, on the first runs of them, we would always hardface weld the the edge of the wheel, esp. on the high horsepower machines like the Hurricane TRX, as well as running a few rockcrusher bits. Hydrostatic on small machines still has a long way to go, although improvements are being made, I'd still prefer the cost-effectiveness, serviceability, and power of the Carlton vbelt/polychain setup.

OK..WOW! Must know more! Clearly inspired by Carlton but taken to a new level, very impressive sir!

Attachments

• P1010050.jpg
    P1010050.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 163
OK..WOW! Must know more! Clearly inspired by Carlton but taken to a new level, very impressive sir!
I built the machine from scratch...the two track frames are Hinoa...I then made the retractable undercarrage this expands out to 52" and retracks to 35"....all the hydraulic valves are vickers C top 3...the hydraulic system is three speed fast, slow & creep.... the slew has a priorate flow divider adjustable for speed....approx 90" slew cutting depth 20" below 33" above....It runs a 80hp deutz 4 cylinder oil cooled motor close coupled to a over center cluch and 3 to 1 redution gear box....then into a 90 degree box...( would have liked to done both the speed redution and the change of direction with one box but at the time I could not find one to suit the applcation)....The cutting boom pivots on the same axis as the 90 degree gear box....then a Gates GT carbon polychain to the revoltion cutting wheel....(I dont think you can beat a machanical drive).... all the machines hydraulic functions are operated via a wireless remote system...It will out preform a 7015 or a 2900t yet is in the same size package...It would be nice if someone would develope it into a prodution !!! as I am only a one man band and don,t have the resources to do so...Having both a end user knolage in the industrie and the engineering abilaty I think its a great package..

I built the machine from scratch...the two track frames are Hinoa...I then made the retractable undercarrage this expands out to 52" and retracks to 35"....all the hydraulic valves are vickers C top 3...the hydraulic system is three speed fast, slow & creep.... the slew has a priorate flow divider adjustable for speed....approx 90" slew cutting depth 20" below 33" above....It runs a 80hp deutz 4 cylinder oil cooled motor close coupled to a over center cluch and 3 to 1 redution gear box....then into a 90 degree box...( would have liked to done both the speed redution and the change of direction with one box but at the time I could not find one to suit the applcation)....The cutting boom pivots on the same axis as the 90 degree gear box....then a Gates GT carbon polychain to the revoltion cutting wheel....(I dont think you can beat a machanical drive).... all the machines hydraulic functions are operated via a wireless remote system...It will out preform a 7015 or a 2900t yet is in the same size package...It would be nice if someone would develope it into a prodution !!! as I am only a one man band and don,t have the resources to do so...Having both a end user knolage in the industrie and the engineering abilaty I think its a great package..

That's nuts man. I like that a lot. How much time and money did that take? A guy in my area built his own grinder out of an old ride on lawn mower but it doesn't hold a candle to this.

Damn I want one. You should really go into production of these. A wheeled version with backfill balde... I would be your first customer.

What was the weight of this study?

1bcd9b4160bb0f3c022c6af565dcad56.jpg

Trying to figure this out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry; trying to upload photo. It was my first unsuccessful attempt. I've got it now.

Thanks for the information....I only have good things to say about my 2007 Carlton. I ran a revolotion cutting wheel on mine after the sandvik wheel wore out... great package. Sadly the new kubota powered machine was a bit dissapionting. The kubota engine upgrade is great but the new track base they now run is 3" taller than the old Chermack one.... not that there is anything wrong with that but Carlton have not changed the geometry of the cutting head....therefor the machine grinds 3" less only 12" deep not 15"....I also run a Bandit 2900t that is not without issuse,s.....great cutting capacity 74" swing 26" deep. But the hydrostatic cutting head absorb,s at least 25% of the 114hp motor,s power.....combine this with the additional fuel it,s notmuch more podutive.....I made my own 80hp grinder in the end.... have a look in the case studies of are website www.baileyforestryengineering.co.uk let me know what you think....I don,t understand why Vermeer have not put there sc1152 on tracks!!!!!
Probably because (as of 2 years ago) the msrp was $73,000 already. Only have heard of 1 unit being sold in all of northern ohio...that's low demand.

I almost bought a new 7015 last year but I could not justify spending seventy thousand. It would take too long to break even on the investment. There is a Vermeer sc60 working in my area; one day I stopped to watch then smiled and drove on :) I like the new 7015 Kabota however I do not like how wide the engine is on the machine. When going through a 36 inch gate that is not completely flat this machine will scrape the Engine housing on the entryway. If your area has big gated backyards this should not affect you. The newest 7015 TRX looks to sit higher than the old Deutz version not sure if the cutting depth is the same. I ended up with a used 7015 Deutz which I am familiar with and have extra parts, filters, teeth, and figured it made sense. Between the two I should be able to make them last forever. image.jpgimage.jpg

Lol.....that's awesome...can't decide between tracks or tires? Buy one of each! But seriously...pros and cons of each? Tracks are popular around here now, but they tear the damn grass when they turn! I've been back and forth for years looking for a self propelled i liked...no luck yet. Sorry to derail.

Lol.....that's awesome...can't decide between tracks or tires? Buy one of each! But seriously...pros and cons of each? Tracks are popular around here now, but they tear the damn grass when they turn! I've been back and forth for years looking for a self propelled i liked...no luck yet. Sorry to derail.

Pros and cons wheeled unit vs Track (Duetz version)
Wheeled unit pros : weighs less, virtually no ground disturbance, tires last longer, faster ground speed.
Wheeled unit cons: Removal of tires, does not grind as deep.

Track unit pros: Grinds deeper, does better on hillsides, repositions faster.
Track unit cons: disturbs ground, leaves track marks, and sprinkler damage, machine shakes more when moving over hard surface, much heavier, track belt walks off from time to time.

The reason why the track machine cuts deeper is when measured from the top of the pivot plate it sits at 24 1/2 inches. The wheeled unit pivot plate sits at 25 3/4 inches.

If had to choose one it would be the wheeled unit. Only because the track machine upsets customers more often than not with yard damage. Each machine serves its purpose. My track grinding wheel is set up for rocky jobs. I prefer the track machine when the customer requests a deep grind or with multiple stump removal. The wheeled unit for those customers with a sensitive yard. With my work load I do not need two machines but the other is good for a back up when the other machine requires maintenance.

Always intersting to see that often no matter how advanced the equipment is, an Alpine seems to have it's place.
Thanks for the insight!

Anyone have a Kabota 7015 TRX they can measure? It would be interesting to see where it sits.

Latest posts

Back