Carriage mill build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdad07

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I don't have a ton of progress yet to share, but I figured I would start to post the pics as I go. Tonight I am posting what I have done on the base. Picture an axel about 5' from the rear of the mill, a tongue running the length of the mill with a hitch on one end, and finally three RV scissor jacks on eash side of the mill for support in the middle as well as leveling purposes. Going to be a Cadillac of chainsaw mills when done, I hope anyhow.
sawmillandHomelite001.jpg
sawmillandHomelite002.jpg

Go Jimdad Go!

I looks like your off to a good start. Can't wait to see how it comes along. Don't forget to post update pics as it comes together.

There are some great pics and ideas on the site. I've talked my brother into helping me put one together but it's coming along at a much slower speed than I would like. Check around with the search feature until you find some build posts. There are some pretty good ones. I think it was a fellow named TJ who posted a really great build that details a lot of design ideas that are just great.

I'm in full envy mode over all the hardwoods you folks have out there.

Hope your cuttin wood soon.
Old Blue

Looks good.

What are to gonna run the mill down?

How long is the carriage?

Hoping to use an old Homelite C-9 for the power head at this time until I can buy a utility motor. The carriage will run about 32" in length and the length of the whole mill will be 18'.

Got some more done on the mill tonight. It's going pretty slow, trying to work on it after dark in the driveway. I got the cross members on that the axel will attach to. Also got everything squared up as I went. I'll take some more pics tomorrow night and put them up.

Got some more done on the mill tonight. It's going pretty slow, trying to work on it after dark in the driveway. I got the cross members on that the axel will attach to. Also got everything squared up as I went. I'll take some more pics tomorrow night and put them up.

Jim,

Looking good so far. It's the pits having to work in the dark, at night, after work. You need to be retired. :) Post those pictures when you have time.

jerry-

Was not able to get more done on it this weekend, been working on the BIL's all weekend.

Jim,

Know the feeling...

I finished a teak shower table for our master bath, just need to get some teak oil Monday. I stay away from the local home centers on the weekends when all the weekend warriors are there. Also re-organized all my milled wood I have stored here at the house. I have a neighbor who wants to commission me to build him a table for him from either a huge Doug Fir slab I have or from one of the Blue Oak slabs I milled.

jerry-

Here's the table I finished Saturday minus the teak oil.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That teak is some nice wood. I have a bunch of mahogony deck board scraps that a carpenter gave me a while ago that would be perfect for that kind of project, they are good 5/4 boards with some good length on them. Looking good as always. BTW, I haven't seen BobL on here in awhile, anyone know if he is alright?

That teak is some nice wood. I have a bunch of mahogony deck board scraps that a carpenter gave me a while ago that would be perfect for that kind of project, they are good 5/4 boards with some good length on them. Looking good as always. BTW, I haven't seen BobL on here in awhile, anyone know if he is alright?

I saw a few posts from him commenting on something, but I think he has been spending most of his time completing his new shop. People's priorities change from time-to-time. I'm sure he will be back.

Did you ever see if your friend new my BIL Charlie in Three Mile Bay?

The teak wood came from a local boat harbor repair shop. It was thrown in a dumpster and my buddy found it. He made a table for himself and I made this table. I still have some left.

jerry-

I saw a few posts from him commenting on something, but I think he has been spending most of his time completing his new shop. People's priorities change from time-to-time. I'm sure he will be back.

Did you ever see if your friend new my BIL Charlie in Three Mile Bay?

The teak wood came from a local boat harbor repair shop. It was thrown in a dumpster and my buddy found it. He made a table for himself and I made this table. I still have some left.

jerry-

Not yet Jerry, been running and hadn't thought of it to be honest with you. I will be seeing my buddy here pretty soon at work.
Amazing what people throw out.

:popcorn: Sounds good so far Jim :clap:

That looks great Jerry, the oil really set it off. Still haven't had a moment to get back to the mill, been working at the BIL's house still, almost done.

That looks great Jerry, the oil really set it off. Still haven't had a moment to get back to the mill, been working at the BIL's house still, almost done.

Jim, know the feeling. One SIL divorced her husband and he was as useless as can be and the other BIL is an idiot and I talk to him as little as possible. Charlie is cool!

Keep plugging away and get to that mill.

jerry-

Latest posts

Back