Case for a MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyFXDWG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone found a case that a 660 will fit in? I searched and it seems some people might have modified the Husky Powerbox to fit one. Anyone have pictures of a case they modified to get a 660 in? I would like to protect my investment in the back of my truck.

Thanks,
JP

CASE for an MS660

Jeremy,

I own a 660 and was wondering if you found a case that this saw will fit in to.

Someone please help

660 saw case

I just built two boxes, one for a Shindaiwa 757 and the other for the 660. I haven't put hardware on them, but they look awkward. Square doesn't work. It would be better to give them to my kids for storage.

I see a Poulan PRO case for Large saws, but they don't post any dimensions. Wondered if it would fit a 660?

Box for Stihl saw

Although I have the smaller version, MS650 with a 36" bar the only box that it will fit in is my pick-up box. It's great for transport but not for storage.

Awe geepers! A saw case for a MS660?!?! Hand over the man card - two point deduction!

Case out of wood is too hard to make. How about getting a seamstress to sew up a Chainsaw Cozy(tm).

Or how about just cover it up with one of these like Grandma did?

images

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Ms660

Jon C, nice job on the oak. I only run a 32. I've never made a vertical cut like you show, I just make a horizontal scab cut and then roll the log 90 degrees and make another Horizontal cut. When i start boarding out the log, my thrust plate is running on that smooth cut and it really increases my speed. Oak bark is hard and it really dulls the chain quick. Good to see that 650 oils that 36 inch bar.

Any trouble with the saws decompression valve leaking (whistling) when you were in that Oak at full throttle??

What chain are you running? Can you share how you grind the cutters and what raker depth you are running?? I run 10 degrees on the top plate with a ten degree tilt on the vise. I'm probably between .027 and .030 on the rakers. I'm using Oregon Rip chain and its round ground. I'd like to know more about how square ground runs.

About the case, I'm really not a pansy, I just like a way to secure/ store the powerhead when I finish milling and break the saw down.

you might as well get a drees for the 660 if your going to put it in a case. Saws like that just dont belong in a case. What i do is buy the big DZ truck tool box and line it with carpet and use the bar covers. I Can fit 5 big Saws in there and still have room. In the shop i built a rack out of 2x4s to put my saws on.

Yall dont know how hard it is to hold in my true feelings regarding this thread, but I promised Gary that ide "keep my trap clapped". I cant speak my mind when you boys go to gettin dumb. . . . . . .

:censored:

660 storage

Verardic; Rolling logs and set-up can be time consuming, smaller logs it's not bad but that one was too big to be moving anymore than I had too. I have had no problem with my decompression valve whistling at any speed. I should be using the aux. oiler but I have my oiler maxed out and try to cut green wood. I ran the Oregon rip chain at first but changed to the Granberg rip chain. A much better chain that I would recommend trying. Worth the few extra bucks and less strain on the motor. 10 - 10 with 27 to 30 is about what I sharpen as well, any more than 30 thou on chip breaker is too hard on the saw. I agree with 385XP on transport and storage. I have to store my saw up out of reach, just safer. I have added a new toy, a 18" band saw ( resaw) with a tilting table so I can easily quarter saw once I get the wood to a size I can put on the saw. Saves a little on the field sawing and gets much better lumber.

I had an idea to make a case for the big saws a while back, but it turned out to be far too expensive to make in small volumes. If someone really wants one though, I think I still have the plans in the toolbox at work.

Big saw case thread

i was thinking about making a wood box with and building in walls shaped like each of my 3 saws ill be packing. 066 440 026. then line it with carpet. this would keep all the saws from bounceing around the bed of the truck and themselves.

I used a similar method to what David Saltas used. My wife wanted the Stihl MS 660 out of the hallway where it has sat since March when I used it to cut some 30 inch red oak up for firewood. I wasn't about to store a $1000.00 chain saw ($1,300.00 with extra bar and chains) in a shed where it could be stolen!
I bought a Plano XXL Storage Trunk size 37 3/4 inches by 18 1/4 inches by 14 inches (exterior measurements) from Home Depot. I used a 3/4 inch paddle bit to drill out the top and bottom of the cut for the bar and cover and a 3/8 inch paddle bit to cut out the top and bottom for my 36 inch bar and cardboard container. I cut out the material between the top and bottom of the pilot holes with a jig saw with a metal cutting blade. Look at the attached pictures. I had to make the hole for the bar and sheath a little longer with the jig saw but the cut out for the 36 inch bar was perfect with the first try! I measured up 1 1/2 inches from the bottom for the 3/4 inch paddle drill hole for the bar and cover and made the cut right next to the side of the molded indentation for the handle. Make sure that you make the holes for the bars on the end opposite the wheels. I placed the cuts for the 36 inch bar and cover so that it sat on top of the inside cover for the wheel.
You get a big roomy storage container for your MS 660 and can secure it in the back of your truck and can stack things on top of it when stored in your home.

262925d1353286405-img_0552-jpg

262926d1353286420-img_0553-jpg

262927d1353286434-img_0554-jpg

262928d1353286448-img_0555-jpg

262924d1353286387-img_0556-jpg

Last edited:
I used a similar method to what David Saltas used. My wife wanted the Stihl MS 660 out of the hallway where it has sat since March when I used it to cut some 30 inch red oak up for firewood. I wasn't about to store a $1000.00 chain saw ($1,300.00 with extra bar and chains) in a shed where it could be stolen!
I bought a Plano XXL Storage Trunk size 37 3/4 inches by 18 1/4 inches by 14 inches (exterior measurements) from Home Depot. I used a 3/4 inch paddle bit to drill out the top and bottom of the cut for the bar and cover and a 3/8 inch paddle bit to cut out the top and bottom for my 36 inch bar and cardboard container. I cut out the material between the top and bottom of the pilot holes with a jig saw with a metal cutting blade. Look at the attached pictures. I had to make the hole for the bar and sheath a little longer with the jig saw but the cut out for the 36 inch bar was perfect with the first try! I measured up 1 1/2 inches from the bottom for the 3/4 inch paddle drill hole for the bar and cover and made the cut right next to the side of the molded indentation for the handle. Make sure that you make the holes for the bars on the end opposite the wheels. I placed the cuts for the 36 inch bar and cover so that it sat on top of the inside cover for the wheel.
You get a big roomy storage container for your MS 660 and can secure it in the back of your truck and can stack things on top of it when stored in your home.
Here are the rest of the pictures:

262954d1353289657-img_0564-jpg

262955d1353289674-img_0557-jpg

262956d1353289689-img_0560-jpg

262957d1353289707-img_0562-jpg

View attachment 262954

View attachment 262955

View attachment 262956

View attachment 262957

Last edited:
Back