Case Splitting Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got a freebie 365xp that the previous owner dropped a tree on.

The recoil and clutch cover are toast, oddly enough the top cover is fine but the case is busted around the rear A/V and cover mounts.

I've never been into one this deep before, is it worth DIYing a tool or should I just buy the C-clamp type splitter?

Additionally, do I have to replace the crank bearings after the cases are split?

Got a freebie 365xp that the previous owner dropped a tree on.

The recoil and clutch cover are toast, oddly enough the top cover is fine but the case is busted around the rear A/V and cover mounts.

I've never been into one this deep before, is it worth DIYing a tool or should I just buy the C-clamp type splitter?

Additionally, do I have to replace the crank bearings after the cases are split?
Depends on both. How many cases are you going to do? They can be split with heat and dead blow hammer, just use care. If bearings are smooth and shinny, can also be reused. 6202 c-3 bearings are not that expensive, but use good ones.

Depends on both. How many cases are you going to do? They can be split with heat and dead blow hammer, just use care. If bearings are smooth and shinny, can also be reused. 6202 c-3 bearings are not that expensive, but use good ones.

I probably won't do that many, but it'd be nice to have the tools.

I went ahead and order the C-clamp tool and cases from Huztl.

I'll check the bearings when I get it apart, the saw is in good shape, I just didn't know if the process of pressing the cases apart ruined them.

Got my shipment from Huztl last week. Case splitter worked like a charm.

What's the best method for assembly? Heat the cases/bearings and freeze the crank?

The huztl case came loaded with bearings and seals, but I'm hesitant to use them, unless the quality has improved. Should I just get new ones from the dealer, or is there a decent aftermarket source?

No splitter needed, but you’ll need a 2 jaw puller or a bearing puller.

Heat case up to 325* on grill/toaster/oven. Drive pins out and remove all bolts first. When it’s hot, take out with welding gloves and wack the crank with a mallet.

The case will literally fall apart. The bearing have a tendency to stay on the crank with this method and you’ll need to pull them off.

No splitter needed, but you’ll need a 2 jaw puller or a bearing puller.

Heat case up to 325* on grill/toaster/oven. Drive pins out and remove all bolts first. When it’s hot, take out with welding gloves and wack the crank with a mallet.

The case will literally fall apart. The bearing have a tendency to stay on the crank with this method and you’ll need to pull them off.

It's already apart, I just bought the splitter.

I played around with it some last night, tried to heat the bearings a little and did get them to slide on, but I had some trouble keeping the rod where it belongs. Had to take it back apart once, and the chinese bearing is already rough. I ordered new bearings and seals on ebay, will give it another shot when they come in.

Back