Cat Rescue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John464

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got a call yesterday. Cat has been up in the tree for 7 days. The owner is distraut. Wants me to save it. Offered me $1,000 to save the cat. Thought about doing it because its an easy climb and easy money. Cat is up about 80ft with the potential to go up futher to 90ft or so. I have rescued cats before withih the 30-40ft range. However this one I am deciding to pass on because of the fear of me killing the cat. I can just picture me up there with a fishermans net or some kinda loop and either strangle the cat or the cat falls below me to its death. What happens then, our company makes the paper as the cat killer.

If anyone wants to take on the lead let me know. I'm passing on it.

What kind of tree??? Just tell her you want money up front and no promises it'll come back alive. If it was a fairly easy climb i'd prolly do it. I'm not proud of it, but i got a cat out a a tree one time. It started to claw the crap out of me so i threw it to the ground (about 25-30 ft). I'm not trying to sound selfish or mean, but my life is more valuble than a cat. I was nervouse when the cat went after me and i was only 30 ft. up, let alone being 90 ft. up and getting maulled.

And yes the cat survived the fall.

Ya, but on a serious note...where is the tree located...in the yard...

What about renting a lift...(unless you have a boom that goes that high)...they have articulating booms that what go 120 ft plus..

or what about a crane???

Just thoughts????

Canyon,

I have two lifts, one spider 76' and one bucket truck 60'. I could probably take either and climb out of the bucket to chase after it if I were to do it. Still wouldnt want to be responsible for killing someone's cat. If it falls at that height its dead or I have to wrap a loop around it would prolly get beaten up bad if it gets scared and goes crazy. Renting a crane would be no different.

Justice,

Job is location just outside of Phila, PA

Ya, you make a very valid point...and ya i agree..

think you made the right decision.

An easy 1000 sure would be nice...but i can see where your coming from.

Cat rescue done easily.

Remember, the strange guy in the helmet and jangling stuff is the scariest thing for the cat, use the fear luke, let it guide its actions.

Get up as close to the cat as you can, ask owner to go inside to get cats favourite toy/bowl/scratchpost/food etc.

Quickly get out silky and cut limb cat is on, let it sag to a limb below you. Cat will safely jump to lower limb or head down trunk as it wont want to try to go back up past you. Chances are it will run in the door left open by owner

Cut limb off, throw it down to groundsman who will quickly put it in back of truck.

Collect your money and be careful no to run over cat on your way out.

Has worked for me, but results may vary.

I've done cat rescues before.

Top ten cat rescue concepts

1) Make clear to owner risks are too great to guarantee cat's safety
2) Get paid in advance
3) Take large king sized pillowcase up
4) Get as close as possible
5) Don't be in a hurry. Spend about 10 minutes talking to the cat
6) Put the cat in the bag , wear thin gloves
7) Tie bag to harness
8) Rappel down to ground
9) Let the cat out of the bag indoors
10) Charge the :censored: out of them

I've done cat rescues before.

Top ten cat rescue concepts

1) Make clear to owner risks are too great to guarantee cat's safety
2) Get paid in advance
3) Take large king sized pillowcase up
4) Get as close as possible
5) Don't be in a hurry. Spend about 10 minutes talking to the cat
6) Put the cat in the bag , wear thin gloves
7) Tie bag to harness
8) Rappel down to ground
9) Let the cat out of the bag indoors
10) Charge the :censored: out of them

I'd add: 11) bring can of tuna with pop top........or :spam:

$1000? I wouldn't have hesitated for a second!

A cat in a tree for 7 days is going to be overjoyed that a human is up there... it will likely crawl into your arms purring. After about four days you can assume the cat is really stuck and desparate... under 4 days and it could be a nasty removal job... tag a bag and a snare.

Whether you lik'em or not, there's money in cat rescue. Why pass it up?

$1000? I wouldn't have hesitated for a second!

A cat in a tree for 7 days is going to be overjoyed that a human is up there... it will likely crawl into your arms purring. After about four days you can assume the cat is really stuck and desparate... under 4 days and it could be a nasty removal job... tag a bag and a snare.

Whether you lik'em or not, there's money in cat rescue. Why pass it up?

because of the liability issue. As much as I dont care for cats(allergic) I would feel terrible if I injured or killed it. A fall from that height is cat pancake. Someone who was as distraught as this woman could of phoned the papers , animal rights, etc. if something bad were to happen and I wouldnt want my company's name guilty by association. We do $1,000 jobs every day and involves doing tree work that for the most part always gaurantees the customer to be happy after we leave.

I phoned one of my climbers who are self employed/sub contracting climber, but the lady did find someone to get the cat. Cat is still alive and recovering as she put it.

My Dad (since deceased) got one down about 6 or 7 years ago, and Dad did not climb. He was in his 70's at the time. He put a throw line around the limb with a bow and fishing arrow, tied a pet carrier to the throw line, baited it with tuna and water, and pulled it up into the tree. Cat got in the carrier for the food, Dad lowered it slowly to the ground.

I have not had my turn yet, but I have the plan. I've got several Hav-A-Heart traps that I use for raccoon control. I have also caught several cats in them. I would bait and set one and tie it to the branch near the cat. Cat in a trap is no big challenge to deal with, whether for rescue or disposal.

You might have to make 2 trips up the tree (if you couldn't do it with a throw line), but I'll climb all day for a lot less than $1,000.

My last one was in a 50 foot hemlock. Cat was in it 3 days he kept going up as I climbed. Finally I was on 3"' of trunk, and said no more, cat was above me about 12 feet. 2 pole saw sections and a sheathed pole saw blade, prodded him in the butt till he fell, ground crew on a 12 x12 blue tarp made the perfect catch wrapped him up quick in the tarp, into the owners house. Did I mention that a red tail hawk almost nailed the cat with all the cryying and meowing. Bird had like a 3foot wingspan. No wonder you dont see any skeletons in trees.

Corey

My last one was in a 50 foot hemlock. Cat was in it 3 days he kept going up as I climbed. Finally I was on 3"' of trunk, and said no more, cat was above me about 12 feet. 2 pole saw sections and a sheathed pole saw blade, prodded him in the butt till he fell, ground crew on a 12 x12 blue tarp made the perfect catch wrapped him up quick in the tarp, into the owners house. Did I mention that a red tail hawk almost nailed the cat with all the cryying and meowing. Bird had like a 3foot wingspan. No wonder you dont see any skeletons in trees.

Corey

Nice...well you got it down safely, hope the homeowner was happy.

Back