cavity in a maple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A friend at work has a maple tree that had some amateur pruning done on it. The limb was flush cut, and now has a cavity in it that fills with water. The cavity is probably 6 inches deep, and the tree about 24" in diameter. He is wondering whether he should fill the cavity. Another guy here starting to talk about cement and I just shook my head. What do you guys think? I'll see if I can get some pics. Here is a crude drawing of what the cavity is shaped like.

All these posts got me wonderin.This is prolly a stupid question but what if ya fill em with like wood chips and elmers wood glue?Ok so the chips would rot away faster maybe?Do you think it would be worse that doin nothin?We already know the only way to make it stronger is to cable.That seems like a serious cavity in the maple and i been noticing some nasty ones lately.(Grr no word on my camera yet,I really miss her lol)Flame away.

Mike Barcaskey said:
definitely not cement. I believe most current wisdom is to let it be. CODIT will deal with it.

I explained CODIT to him very briefly. The concern is that the cavity will continue to fill with water. The cavity is shaped in such a way that water WILL pool in it. I told him to build an awning over it.:laugh:

drill a small hole through at the lowest point, angled down, and push in a small piece of copper pipe (1/4") the copper is soft and you can pull it later, but it keeps the cavity dry while it closes.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
drill a small hole through at the lowest point, angled down, and push in a small piece of copper pipe (1/4") the copper is soft and you can pull it later, but it keeps the cavity dry while it closes.
-Ralph

Do you mean like this?

Ralph, that has also been discredited. One of the Shigo books I read really harped on not doing it.
The problem with filling it with anything is that you will never get the cavity dry and clean of all pathogens. When you fill it you are just sealing them in to keep doing their dirty work.
Someone on here a while back made a good case for using the expandable foam and painting it for cosmetic purposes.

Mike Barcaskey said:
Someone on here a while back made a good case for using the expandable foam and painting it for cosmetic purposes.

But wouldn't that seal in the pathogens?

I know about 10 pin oaks, 48-50 something DBH tht all have this installed (years ago) never pulled. cavity is sealed. trees are fine, no, magestic. big houses, cobblestone street. just another ??????? city street without these trees.
Mike, this may be heresay, but I consider shigo a very learned person, but, people still go to different doctors for second opinions. nothing against him or his research, but other opinions are out there. just not as vocal.

Any foam I ever filled a tree with was quickly shredded out by birds. thick aint over it, screen in the foam, everything. Now I just let nature take its course.

make the drain come out the same side as the cavity. just go through the lip, if you will.
-Ralph

Mike Barcaskey said:
Ralph,
been on a Shigo kick lately, read 3-4 books of his. Probably need to find someone else, broaden the horizons.
That's a great post, to avoid dogmatizing the man's words. Also, read the diclaimers--he says not to believe his words through just reading, but to experience the principles in the field. Despite Ralph's andecdotal observation, I'm not going to start drilling to drain cavities. I would consider it if species, condition, location etc. indicated that was a reasonable strategy.

On most trees I don't think it is. Ralph does not know that those oaks would not have sealed over just as well without the draining tube.

treeseer said:
Ralph does not know that those oaks would not have sealed over just as well without the draining tube.

true.
But Guy does not know that these oaks would have sealed without it either.
-Ralph

Drain tubes, cement ... and copper BS???!!!

WTF! Oh yeah, make sure you scrape it out good too like they used to, get in there with the tip of ya bar and buff it out some till ya down to some decent wood.

Are we back in the 70's again, now where's my flares and afro?

Pics!

Here are some pics of the actual tree. Let me know what you think.

rb that is an ugly canker, but you should know by now the first job an arborist has is to Find the Flare! That tree is buried and the infection is likely related to roots.

If he's near you, we can take a quick look at it wednesday. But first tell him to get that crap off the trunk.

treeseer said:
rb that is an ugly canker, but you should know by now the first job an arborist has is to Find the Flare! That tree is buried and the infection is likely related to roots.

If he's near you, we can take a quick look at it wednesday. But first tell him to get that crap off the trunk.

He's probably 20 minutes from me. How does he remove the canker?

Latest posts

Back