CB reception much better if antenna mounted on headache rack/roof of pick-up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone ever move your CB antenna from mounted on the hood of your pick-up truck (like radio antenna is) to high up on the top of the headache rack or roof of the truck?

If yes, did you get much better reception? Or not much of a difference?

(In particular, on hilly winding forest service roads.)

FYI - Headache rack...
View attachment 202671

Memory serves, the wavelengths CB operates at are fairly long, so they're very directional and have a pretty sharp drop-off with distance. I think higher is better on account of the fact that it prevents shadowing by the cab. To do CB best, you need a Standing-Wave meter to trim the antenna to the exact length of I think 1/4 of the wavelength, which comes out to something like 3.something feet. If you use two antennas in parallel, you have a half-wave antenna, which gives you better reception, but is more directional still: if you are facing perpendicular to a signal, it'll come in crystal clear, but if you are parallel, it will be attenuated. A single antenna is probably a better bet on winding logging roads, duals on highways. I'm sure there's lots of information out there from the good ol' days of CB radio; this is just what I remember from growing up in W. Washington and from ET "A" School.

Tried lots of different setups back during the big days of CBing. Had a big ford with the large mirrors on each door and had antennas on each, but found that what "Madhatte" said was true. So next tried a large whip, about 6' tall, type mounted on springs attached to the rear qtr. panel just before the tailgate. It worked real good but sometime you had to stop driving for the signal to clearup. Last put one on the top of the cab. As I recall it was just about 3' tall. It seemed to work the best overall, but not as good as the door mounted pair when the direction was perfect. Not to mention how the door mounted ones kept getting beatup by branches on narrow logging roads or skid roads. It's pretty tough working in those narrow canyons sometimes to get any signal at all. I have noticed, now that I'm thinking about it, that lots of the trucks are using the door/mirror mounted on each side setup. Seems to me I remember talking to the drivers and some use two CBs. One hooked up to the pair of door mounts and another on the single mount on top of the cab.

yes high and center. you will get a more even groundplane if in the center of the truck.

also i'm not sugesting you do anything illegal. but you can get a big linear amp and make your antenna glow. :msp_wink:

also i'm not sugesting you do anything illegal. but you can get a big linear amp and make your antenna glow. :msp_wink:

WORD! We used to geek out on CB's when I was in high school. . . We'd play CB tag all the time. My buddy had a system that was less than legal. He could broadcast great distances, and "walk" on anybody around.

He got skip out'a the east coast sometimes. :dizzy:

There's a lot to CBing if a guy wants to get into it hardcore.
images

Oh, man, them side-band linear amp guys. I remember 'em well. They'd flatten three regular channels up and down the dial, and you couldn't even call 'em on it because they were between bands. I remember "CB Tag" as well. If you had the duals on two rigs, you could triangulate to the target pretty quickly.

ya, we used to do a thing called a squashfest, one to monator , everybody else would key up. the strongest would squash everybody else. used to be a good reason to head up to the hills on a friday night. burnt up a couple radios doin that.

I was in to CB years ago. It was a lot of fun. I have been a licensed ham now since 1986.

Anyhow, higher the better as they said. And, the roof of the truck will help the ground plane since it is a vertical.

The wavelegth is 11 meters. So, 1/4 wave would be 1/4 of that. So, since most people don't want a 8 foot 6 inch inch whip banging around, the shorter antennas have a loading coil in them either at the bottom or spiral wrapped up the antenna. IMO you are still beter off with the longest model you can stand to look at or keep from being knocked off.

I always had the antenna on the roof, and went through a few antennae. We have brushy roads, and there are a few antenna parts scattered about the woods. Parking garages are hard on them too. Thadumpsprong, thadumpsprong. Then the only space left to park a full size pickup in is a compact space.....:bang:

I used a 102" stainless steel antenna mounted to the rear bumper.Worked pretty good. I now just have one mounted to the front fender. I probably only use my CB once or twice a year now, and only when I'm on road trips. There used to be so much BS going on in the Seattle/Tacoma area I never turned it on.

The wavelegth is 11 meters. So, 1/4 wave would be 1/4 of that. So, since most people don't want a 8 foot 6 inch inch whip banging around, the shorter antennas have a loading coil in them either at the bottom or spiral wrapped up the antenna.

That's right, I remember now -- the coil wrapped around the fiberglass was what you were trimming on a FireStik. Geeze, you'd think I'd remember that.

Mainly I just want to be able to receive well. Listen for loaded log trucks on their way out. They can't stop suddenly due to all that weight. So anyone going in had best be parked on the side of the road by the time the log truck passes by (and announce that to the log truck before he gets to you. Like: "Pickup in the clear at mile 2".)

Around here there will be a sign at the beginning of the forest service road like "CB 3", then miles and half miles are painted on trees by the side of the road. They announce their position by what mile marker they are at.

I never drive my truck into any parking garages, don't have any around here. (I have a little car I drive when going to the city.) But I do go under low trees sometimes with the truck.

I'll move the antenna up high and in the center. Perhaps I can make some sort of hinged contraption. Then be able to lower the antenna if I need to go under low trees.

102 inch fiberglass whip with small ball and spring mount(large spring is too strong and will break mount plate or antenna).A steel whip will give better reception in clear conditions but almost none in bad weather.best mounting location is rear center of cab roof,this will be closer to overall center of vehicle,purchase a swr,trimer, tuner and install inline with radio,about $30.00but well worth it. As far as log trucks,most around me won"t talk 1mile,CB shops are a thing of the past and most knew nothing,as most drivers don't need long range communication they don't have good radios anyway,you may be just as well off with a cheap magnetic mount or a hand held

...A steel whip will give better reception in clear conditions but almost none in bad weather...

Well I guess that rules out that antenna for the Pacific Northwest! (Rain and clouds most of the time, except in the summer.)

Back