cb versues heatmore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainergeneral

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
was serious thinking from where i am at here in ontario that cb was the one to go.... now I have recieved the info. from heatmore finally and it looks good,all stainless which they are claiming to be the best,, and local to me ,,but I still like the spray foam insulation of the cb...on my way to check out other people that are using them,,,, as they send you a contact list of people in you area that has them..... can everyone give me their pro's and con's of the two different units as I would like to get one ordered.. thanks.. any bit of info. is welcomed.

Dont do the stainless. Welds will crack unless the anealing process is correct. None of the stainless boilers are anealed. Go with the thickest steel one you can find. I understand the shaver is .380 thick. Better yet, go with a good EPA wod stove, save 75% of the wood you'll burn with a boiler and pollute 80 % less

I am also looking at heatmor, and aquatherm. I haven't heard about stainless cracking like this. Has this happened to anyone here?

Dont do the stainless. Welds will crack unless the anealing process is correct. None of the stainless boilers are anealed. Go with the thickest steel one you can find. I understand the shaver is .380 thick. Better yet, go with a good EPA wod stove, save 75% of the wood you'll burn with a boiler and pollute 80 % less

+1

Look at a heatsource 1 there better then a heatmor.... Stainless just last longer thats all there is to it! if they cracked all the time they wouldnt be around any more. Thats a big myth.

Look at a heatsource 1 there better then a heatmor.... Stainless just last longer thats all there is to it! if they cracked all the time they wouldnt be around any more. Thats a big myth.

No myth guy. My brother owns a welding shop. Never done a repair on a steel stove, 4 stainless boilers in the last 3 years, all welds

Owb

No myth guy. My brother owns a welding shop. Never done a repair on a steel stove, 4 stainless boilers in the last 3 years, all welds

Ok, i did alot of research on this when i bought mine, i too was torn between heatmor and cb. Firt on the stainless, yes cheap stainless will crack, welds will break, etc. Does heatmor use cheap stainless no, i believe it is mixed with nickel to prevent this, also they carry a lifetime warranty on the stainless, yes it is somewhat pro-rated but, at least they are going to help you out 25 years down the road. Insulation, let me ask this. When you put spray foam over metal as the metal cools, heats, wouldnt that cause a sweating issue under the insulation? Therefore causing the cb to rot from the outside in? Also, when the mild steel needs to be re welded, how are you going to get all that crap off there to reweld so it doesnt burn all off and make a big mess? I will tell you that on my heatmor i have had ice on the edge of the roof in mid winter, dont worry about the fiberglass it works fine. Fire brick, heatmor has fire brick, better heat transfer and storage of heat. When i was researching i found a site were a guy had put fire brick in his cb and gained in effency big time. Ash auger, grates, Heatmor has all of that, nothing comes out of my stove unless it is completly burnt to a fine powder, it takes me about 2 minutes to clean it out. My bro in law has to remove his wood on the inside, and shovel out his coals, and throw all the ambers, etc away with his cb. Last year we both bought our owb, during the course of the year i have maybe one wheelbarrow full of ashes, him he had at least 3 in January when i took him wood. Sand bottom, what a nice feature, there is nothing in the bottom to rott out but sand, and the grates (cast iron) or auger pan (stainless steel) on a heatmor. On a cb you have mild steel with wood sitting on it along with the acids of the wood. There are no fancy electronic stuff on my heatmor that can go bad, basically all it is is a wood box with three thermostats that i can go up town and replace if i needed to, can cb say that? Forced air induction in the burn chamber, cb will tell you that it will blow your heat right out the chimney, yes i am sure some heat does go out the chimney, i am also pretty sure it goes out the cb chimney also. One thing with air induction is if you run out of seasoned wood you can put in the greenest crap you can find and it will burn. I have no worries about running out of wood with my heatmor, if i get low i find a tree and cut it down. My bro in law always has to have dry wood for his cb, he claims it wont burn green,. i dont know i always sell him dry seasoned wood it cost him more than green. I sell alot of fire wood and i can honestley say that the heatmor guys use less wood all the time, and most of my heatmor guys heat two houses with them rather than one! Finally if stainless steel was such a bad product why wood cb want an xtra 1,000 over the cost of thier std mild steel? Could it be that they figure if you are going to pay the xtra 1000 for stainless that you are better off buying a heatmor now that you are at about the same price? One last thing, I dont care if you have a cb, heatmor, woodsman, etc, there is none of us that will telll you that you did not make a good decision on your purchase. You just saved yourself thousands of dollars in heating cost! And you are no longer supporting the middle east with your heating dollars. Anyone can be a good decision, but try to make the best. This is just my opionion, based on my exsperiances.

I did quit a bit of research this spring,which means I just talked to a lot of folks who owned a central boiler or a heatmor, I didn't find anybody who was unhappy with either one. Not one person. I ended up purchasing a central because the dealer is local. I wouldn't be afraid of a heatmor or a central. I did stay away from the e-classic because in my case a regular old OWB is more efficient. (less wood handling and better use of the wood I have on my property)

C B in Ontario

Who is the CB dealer that you are talking to ? I had mine installed last year and may have some feedback for you. I am 60 km SE of Peterborough.

Thanks for the info MS310. I too have been looking at CB Woodmaster & Heatmor. Was 99% sure about going with Heatmor, now Iam 100% sure
Thanks again :clap:

cb/heatmor/woodmaster

Thanks for the info MS310. I too have been looking at CB Woodmaster & Heatmor. Was 99% sure about going with Heatmor, now Iam 100% sure
Thanks again :clap:

Now i want to say again, this was my thinking on everything that i looked at. I only looked at cb/heatmor/woodmaster. I never researched any other ones because there is not dealers in my area for them. As far as the wood consumption goes, this is what i see. I do know i love my heatmor, and the dealer was/is awsome! I would like to get into selling OWBs but, if/when i do it needs to be a product that i feel is the best and as of right now my terriotory for heatmor is taken.
Thanks for the reps guys!

cb versues heatmor

:clap: Thanks ms310. I feel better about our purchase also, We just put the css100 on its pad this past Sunday. This "Labor" day weekend will be full of labor installing the heat exchanger, connections, pulling the insulated pipe thru the underground conduit and connecting to the HW tank. I compared both Heatmor and CB models, visited people who had both. Also looked at Taylor and Shaver. Though, could not find any Shavers in this area. Those who own any of these units all said the same thing...their only regret was that they did not install the unit earlier. We selected the Heatmor for its simplicity and the dealer was more knowledgeable and accessible. We have an oil furnace now and hope we do not need to fill the tanks this year. I am glad I found this site.

Installation

Just a thougt when you guys install, check with the guy you are buying from tho, i wish i had done this. First make sure that you can devert the water around your (brain fart) "heat exchanger" in your furnace. This way you can heat your hot water all year long if you want to. I origanally did not do this and i reran it this spring so i could run it year around. I am glad that i did, i burn all my junk wood in it this time of year. Secondley this is where you want to check with the installer or dealer. I wish i would have put my "heat exchanger" at the bottom of the furnace between the filter on the return side and the furnace. Why? For me i would run water from the well threw it, to cool my house in the summer and then dump the water to my pond via sump pump hole. It would need to be at the bottom so i could install a drip pan to catch all the water. With it being on top of the furnace in a horizontal position i can not come up with a way to do this and still be able to force the air threw the drip pan,,, heat exchanger. I will probabley move it to the vertical position at the bottom of the furnace next spring. One more thing i have found that you should keep in mind is that there will come a time when the Owb will go out, mine has done this twice, usually do to wood blocking the fan that puts air into the fire. Anyway when this happens the furnace will kick on, and your wife will call you saying something smells like the house is on fire! What is actually happening is that the furnace is burning any dust, lint that is caught in the heat exchanger. It will not catch your house on fire but, will scare the hell out of the wife if she doesnt know what is happening.

have a heatmor, been using it for 5 years...hummm no cracks on mine....
ohh and it does a sweet job of heating the house

cb versues heatmor

Never thought about putting the exchanger on the return side. I will check it out. We treat our well water, so running it through the exchanger for cooling sounds good. I will check with the local dealer.

The local dealer is a heating and plumbing contractor. I may have paid a little more getting everything through him but I'm glad I did. I got all the by-pass valves you suggested along with every elbow, connection, pumps and a complete hand drawn pipe configuration to follow. He warn me about the wood or ashes blocking the fan. He stated you want to try to keep a 4 inch thick bed of hot coals, about half way up the fire brick. When he gets calls about a fire going out and will not light, it is usually because there is too many ashes blocking the fan. Once he gets people to understand you do not need to pack the stove full of wood to get a 12 hour burn, everything goes as planned.

I'm not going to tell my wife about the smell, I like to hear her call in a fit of panic. A little excitement will not hurt her. Hope she doesn't read this.

Thanks for the insight!

Just a thougt when you guys install, check with the guy you are buying from tho, i wish i had done this. First make sure that you can devert the water around your (brain fart) "heat exchanger" in your furnace. This way you can heat your hot water all year long if you want to. I origanally did not do this and i reran it this spring so i could run it year around. I am glad that i did, i burn all my junk wood in it this time of year. Secondley this is where you want to check with the installer or dealer. I wish i would have put my "heat exchanger" at the bottom of the furnace between the filter on the return side and the furnace. Why? For me i would run water from the well threw it, to cool my house in the summer and then dump the water to my pond via sump pump hole. It would need to be at the bottom so i could install a drip pan to catch all the water. With it being on top of the furnace in a horizontal position i can not come up with a way to do this and still be able to force the air threw the drip pan,,, heat exchanger. I will probabley move it to the vertical position at the bottom of the furnace next spring. One more thing i have found that you should keep in mind is that there will come a time when the Owb will go out, mine has done this twice, usually do to wood blocking the fan that puts air into the fire. Anyway when this happens the furnace will kick on, and your wife will call you saying something smells like the house is on fire! What is actually happening is that the furnace is burning any dust, lint that is caught in the heat exchanger. It will not catch your house on fire but, will scare the hell out of the wife if she doesnt know what is happening.

Well thanks for all the info guy"s . Going to look at heatmore sat. morning in woodville ontario , hopefully better than the dealer from Frankford and his brother in Bancroft. quote : we do not have time to stop into your house on the way home to see what you might need.... mind you this is 10 min. out of their way.Looking toward the heatmore all the time now..

Who is the CB dealer that you are talking to ? I had mine installed last year and may have some feedback for you. I am 60 km SE of Peterborough.

Hi - I just Live north of Lakefield and work at g.m truck plant,,The dealer is the Cheser brothers from frankford.... they also have a store in Bancroft.. all help is appreciated.. thanks

I have been using a CB for 10 yrs.No problems.I would look at how each one operates.Not familiar with heatmor.But if you look at the CB hardly any moving parts compared to the others.

Back