Cbn wheel heating tooth when sharpening please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you talking resinoid or bonded?
Electroplated CBN. I would assume the CBN crystals react the same whether it's electroplated or deposited onto a different base metal. Electroplated is the only kind I have experience with. We have always gone with a larger grit to minimize heat too.

Electroplated CBN. I would assume the CBN crystals react the same whether it's electroplated or deposited onto a different base metal. Electroplated is the only kind I have experience with. We have always gone with a larger grit to minimize heat too.
A good number of the CBN wheels for chains are resinoid. Like the diamond wheels in carbide grinding.
The bonded wheels are about 3x as much.

Brake cleaner would be better for degreasing the chain.

When you are not just sharpening chains for yourself that's not real cost effective.
Brush the cutter off with a cheap small paint brush and brake clean the wheel whenever it gets too gunked up.Hit it with the white stick after.

I drank the Kool-Aid and purchased a pair of the Diamond Wheel CBN wheels several months ago. So far, I am not a convert. Less grinding dust produced, but still easy to overheat the cutters and lift the chrome. Still trying them; maybe I, or the wheels, need to break in a little?

Too fine of a wheel will burn quick.
The best wheel I have for damaged cutters is a 60 grit, near 10 yrs old now.
I have a couple of 120's, don't care for them much.
I like an 80 grit for touch ups on most chains.
I do have a 150 grit for rakers.

Fastenal orders the Norton ones for me.
Looked through the Fastenal site and could not find any. But then again, I often have trouble with their site.

Looked on MSC Industrial and found all kinds, in a variety of grits and sizes:
e.g "Made in USA - 220 Grit Aluminum Oxide Rectangular Dressing Stick - 4 x 1/2 x 1/2, Very Fine Grade, Vitrified Bond" MSC #:01865690, $3.05 ea.
Others up to $10.32 each.

They also have a bunch of coarse, silicon carbide stones which are good for dressing conventional (vitrified aluminum oxide) chain grinder wheels:
e.g. "Made in USA - 24 Grit Silicon Carbide Round Dressing Stick - 6 x 1/2, Very Coarse Grade, Vitrified Bond" MSC #:01865666 8.96 ea.
I would put this in a vise and snap it into 3, 2" dressing bricks, instead of paying $8 each through many catalogs.

Philbert

I use an abrasive belt Eraser. Works just as well for grinding wheels as it does belts. Worked just fine to restore original performance for my CBN from diamond wheel that was getting clogged from dirty/oily chains too.
Their Cheap and last for many years.
bbbac7db8ae79080777ee077c0c580ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an abrasive belt Eraser. Works just as well for grinding wheels as it does belts. Worked just fine to restore original performance for my CBN from diamond wheel that was getting clogged from dirty/oily chains too.
Their Cheap and last for many years.
bbbac7db8ae79080777ee077c0c580ae.jpg

Is sure does work better, I just tried one. Thanks for the tip

I ended up buying one also. Thanks for the recommendations!

Latest posts

Back