CC's or HP - which one is more important?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isipwater

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
When looking for a chainsaw to purchase, which is more important to consider, CC's or HP?

What is the difference?

The reason I ask is that, I have noticed that pro chainsaws tend to have more HP when compared ranch chainsaws with similar CC ratings.

So, should I be paying more attention to the HP or CC rating when getting a new saw?

cc is the displacement determined by the stroke and cylinder diameter and adjusted to that unit of measure. It is an exact number.

Horsepower is essentially torque times revolutions per minute. Both torque and horsepower in the chainsaw world seem to be listed as a maximum, usually with information as to what rpm it occurs at. That is a bit more vague charts of horsepower and torque vs rpm don't seem provided.

In a nut shell cc determines length of bar, HP determines how fast you can cut. This might be over simplifying it but that should get you in the ball park.

Horsepower numbers seem to be inflated by manufacturers and weights are under inflated.

They may have different methods of testing to come up with their HP numbers.

Really it all comes down to putting a saw in your hands and running it as opposed to looking at charts and graphs.

The pro saws are lighter and make more power per cc than the rest. They also are built better. Less plastic they are made to be run everyday. I prefer to run a pro type saw just for the better response and higher rpms that they turn. If you buy a pro saw it will last for years so the extra cost over the 10 or more years is really not that much

Depends on what you are cutting. in big wood torque will trump chain speed any day of the week.

I am with Steve, you can have all the CC's and HP you want, but if you are running a dull chain it won't matter.

Back