CDL question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesquirrel

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am looking at a truck that the seller says is under CDL however I found no trucks of simiular models that are under CDL.

It is a ford F7000 with a dump bed.

The front axle rating is 9000, the rear is 19,000, this is a total carrying capacity of 28000 if I am guessing right which is over CDL requirements.

Please advise if you know.

it's over cdl but you can down grade it with the dmv and reg it at 26000 . but if it has air brakes you will still need to take the air test

If the gross vehicle weight with a load is over 26k pounds, you need a CDL. This number will be stamped probably on the door. I am not sure by adding the maximum axle capacity will get you an accurate number. I advise calling DMV or stop a police officer for more info.

If the gross vehicle weight with a load is over 26k pounds, you need a CDL. This number will be stamped probably on the door. I am not sure by adding the maximum axle capacity will get you an accurate number. I advise calling DMV or stop a police officer for more info.
over 26001 Cdl required also If you pull a trailer even with
a pickup that is tandom duals a class A is needed.

Last edited:
If your truck grosses 26000 or your trailor over 10,000 and you get weighed, yes. Or if the GVW on the vehicle ID is over that, yes.
26001 got to add the one as that is the exact figure 26001
not 26000 that gvw is below cdl about the plates not certain but if you
pull a heavy duty trailer with dual tandoms class A is called for.
Good thing is you can test in that truck and trailer combo you
just won't get the airbrake endorsement I got the full A cdl
but did not get haz or tankers or doubles triples as did not
figure I would ever use them endorsements.

Last edited:
got my full cdl class a with hazmat,,,tanker,,,question is,,,we have a single axle dump truck,,,rated at 28000lb and haul just a bobcat trailer,,,tandem axle single behind it with a 8000lb load on,,,this is saying that the dump truck has no load on it,,,cdl a or b?

got my full cdl class a with hazmat,,,tanker,,,question is,,,we have a single axle dump truck,,,rated at 28000lb and haul just a bobcat trailer,,,tandem axle single behind it with a 8000lb load on,,,this is saying that the dump truck has no load on it,,,cdl a or b?
That is threading the needle to weather they would say
commercial truck pulling is considered combo requiring a cdl I would
need to look that up as it is a good question B is straight truck no
combo just depends on the trailer and the officer that day.

I am going to say a as combined gvw would put it over the
cdl limit and having a trailer requires combination training thus
A CDL

Last edited:
i do have my combo obviously with the A,,,our biggest truck i drive on a daily basis is a 14 ton crane truck with no trailer,,,mostly used to haul heavy logs,,,dual tandems on the crane,,,never understood why i needed the A,,,but glad i have it now

oh ya,,,all of our trucks have airbrakes

i do have my combo obviously with the A,,,our biggest truck i drive on a daily basis is a 14 ton crane truck with no trailer,,,mostly used to haul heavy logs,,,dual tandems on the crane,,,never understood why i needed the A,,,but glad i have it now

oh ya,,,all of our trucks have airbrakes

My big trucks have air brakes too they are better
except when you blow a line :cry:

Straight Truck - class B
combination - class A
bobcat trailer would be a combo

over 26001 Cdl required also If you pull a trailer even with
a pickup that is tandom duals a class A is needed.

this will depend on the issuing state!! tandem trailer(which is duals) will only require a CDL class A if a fifth wheel is in place which makes it a "combination vehicle" or the weight rating of the tow behind is of such that requires class A.

the only difference between Class A & B is "combination vehicle" Semi & trailer as opposed to Tri-axle

check with your state!!!

LXT

having taught CDL orientation , logs, weight displacement,etc...

the towbehind over 10,000 lbs needing a class A is a gray area!! FMCSR states the combination vehicle total weight may not exceed 80,000lbs gross(unless permits of course)

so the question I asked of the MC division is what takes precedent 10,000lbs or more trailer weight or total combined weight of 80,000lbs? NO ANSWER as of yet.

FMCSR has alot of gray areas that IMO just dont pertain to our industry or other industries, but will be enforced for the revenue.

ask any D.O.T man & you will get a different answer, & from one state to another wheeew good luck!!!

LXT............

this will depend on the issuing state!! tandem trailer(which is duals) will only require a CDL class A if a fifth wheel is in place which makes it a "combination vehicle" or the weight rating of the tow behind is of such that requires class A.

the only difference between Class A & B is "combination vehicle" Semi & trailer as opposed to Tri-axle

check with your state!!!

LXT
Dual Axel tandem is what I meant meaning twenty thousand
pound trailer and dot is nation wide fed regulated is it not? Grey areas is
right and they will write a ticket if they have the chance.

I am looking at a truck that the seller says is under CDL however I found no trucks of simiular models that are under CDL.

It is a ford F7000 with a dump bed.

The front axle rating is 9000, the rear is 19,000, this is a total carrying capacity of 28000 if I am guessing right which is over CDL requirements.

Please advise if you know.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't add the axle ratings!!!!!!

LOOK AT THE STICKER ON THE DOOR JAMB<<< OR BEHIND THE SEAT<<<

WITH THE RATINGS OF THE TRUCK

THE MAKER OF THE TRUCK PUTS A GROSS VEHICLE RATING ON THE TRUCK !!!!

thats what you have to go by.....

AND NO NO NO,,,,, the down sizing the of the vehicle weight,, won't cut it ,, if there is ever a issue!!!!!!!!!

it's ,,, either CDL,, or not CDL!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't add the axle ratings!!!!!!

LOOK AT THE STICKER ON THE DOOR JAMB<<< OR BEHIND THE SEAT<<<

WITH THE RATINGS OF THE TRUCK

THE MAKER OF THE TRUCK PUTS A GROSS VEHICLE RATING ON THE TRUCK !!!!

thats what you have to go by.....

AND NO NO NO,,,,, the down sizing the of the vehicle weight,, won't cut it ,, if there is ever a issue!!!!!!!!!

it's ,,, either CDL,, or not CDL!!!!
+1Exactly 26001 or over Gvw

Latest posts

Back