CDL question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
over 26001 Cdl required also If you pull a trailer even with
a pickup that is tandom duals a class A is needed.

FYI,,,, IF THE TRAILER IS OVER 10,OOO GVW,,,, AND THE TRUCK IS UNDER 26,OOO GVW..........

YOU NEED A CLASS "A" CDL,,, IF THE CGVW ( COMBINED GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT ) EXCEEDS 26001 POUNDS....

THATS ON THE STICKER ALSO

Straight Truck - class B
combination - class A
bobcat trailer would be a combo

CLASS B,,26,001 TRUCK PULLING A TRAILER UNDER 10,000 !!!!

CLASS A,, 26,001 TRUCK PULLING A TRAILER OVER 10,000!!!

CLASS A,,, ANY THING UNDER 26,000 PULLING A TRAILER OVER 10,OOO,,,, IF THE STICKER ON THE DOOR,,, STATES THAT THE CGVW (COMBINED GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT IS OVER 26,001 )

CLASS B,,26,001 TRUCK PULLING A TRAILER UNDER 10,000 !!!!

CLASS A,, 26,001 TRUCK PULLING A TRAILER OVER 10,000!!!

CLASS A,,, ANY THING UNDER 26,000 PULLING A TRAILER OVER 10,OOO,,,, IF THE STICKER ON THE DOOR,,, STATES THAT THE CGVW (COMBINED GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT IS OVER 26,001 )
I have an A cdl don't see a reason not to get it instead of a b

beware of the sticker on the door!!!! not always TRUE, case in point, all you 1/2 ton pickup truck owners, the weight of the truck, with a full tank of fuel & a passenger & you already exceeded the gross vehicle weight(or close) this is just the unladen weight!!!!!

A lot of advice is being given here, one could give many scenarios which would take up many pages, bottom line get a copy of the Federal motor carrier regulations & your states cdl handbook!!!!!

AXLE rating does matter, the trailer over 10,001 being towed & need for Class A is unclear (just get an A) combination vehicle is not a 5 ton dump with a trailer carrying a bobcat even if it weighs more than 10,001.

#1 it is still under total GVW`s #2 unless connected by a 5th wheel the vehicle is not a combination(unless the potential of a combined weight of 80,000 is possible regardless of point of attachment) PA D.O.T will be sending me a definitive answer(at least they said so) due to the fact I hold an instructor cert. (dont really instruct anymore, but keep it good).

*what I state will be for strictly PA & may carry into other states, but check into it all states enforce differently*

good luck, LXT..........

beware of the sticker on the door!!!! not always TRUE, case in point, all you 1/2 ton pickup truck owners, the weight of the truck, with a full tank of fuel & a passenger & you already exceeded the gross vehicle weight(or close) this is just the unladen weight!!!!!

A lot of advice is being given here, one could give many scenarios which would take up many pages, bottom line get a copy of the Federal motor carrier regulations & your states cdl handbook!!!!!

AXLE rating does matter, the trailer over 10,001 being towed & need for Class A is unclear (just get an A) combination vehicle is not a 5 ton dump with a trailer carrying a bobcat even if it weighs more than 10,001.

#1 it is still under total GVW`s #2 unless connected by a 5th wheel the vehicle is not a combination(unless the potential of a combined weight of 80,000 is possible regardless of point of attachment) PA D.O.T will be sending me a definitive answer(at least they said so) due to the fact I hold an instructor cert. (dont really instruct anymore, but keep it good).

*what I state will be for strictly PA & may carry into other states, but check into it all states enforce differently*

good luck, LXT..........
Question what does state have to do with
a fed controlled issue? Everyone just needs to get an A cdl maybe
they would learn to stop tailgating and getting in blind spots!

Question what does state have to do with
a fed controlled issue? Everyone just needs to get an A cdl maybe
they would learn to stop tailgating and getting in blind spots!

States can be stricter & therefore may regulate differently, the federal laws are the minimum so to speak!! I agree just get the class A, however some may not want to take the road skills test. many that have an "A" in the tree care realm can barely drive a bucket & chipper let alone a Semi.

personally I think employers/employees should have training classes pertaining to CDL, not just sit in a room & watch videos, real hands on stuff!!
Ive drove just about everything & every combination thereof, but the places that we in the tree care field must go are the hardest areas a driver could ever want to access.

LXT................

States can be stricter & therefore may regulate differently, the federal laws are the minimum so to speak!! I agree just get the class A, however some may not want to take the road skills test. many that have an "A" in the tree care realm can barely drive a bucket & chipper let alone a Semi.

personally I think employers/employees should have training classes pertaining to CDL, not just sit in a room & watch videos, real hands on stuff!!
Ive drove just about everything & every combination thereof, but the places that we in the tree care field must go are the hardest areas a driver could ever want to access.

LXT................
Hey I would rather back a semi than any chipper but I can put either were I want them. The hardest thing I have ever seen is my uncles farm wagon has a chuck wagon front end pivots and will confuse the experts trying to back that jewel:laugh:

Hey I would rather back a semi than any chipper but I can put either were I want them. The hardest thing I have ever seen is my uncles farm wagon has a chuck wagon front end pivots and will confuse the experts trying to back that jewel:laugh:

For sure I grew up in IA and spent years driving and backing those things.
The only way is with a narrow front end tractor or a skidlaoder. Also a fun fact on the subject if you have a CDL and choose to rent a Penske truck they will give you a discount. Also state farm gave me a credit on my personal insurance that made it cheaper with my cars. Just a FYI.
Jared

Cdl

When talking CDL There is one important Rule

State Regs

I know the federal dudes run the CDL program but each state has it own little things they tack on.

In Oklahoma they go by the 26,000 GVW. Everything added together

If a regular trooper stops you he will look at the tag on the door,-Usually-

However the size and weights dudes can axle you out and also check you for axle wt.

If you really want to get screwed up call your highway patrol and you will get several answers.

Oh did I say anything about air brakes???

Oh, and try to get a straight answer if you are blind in one eye!!!

When talking CDL There is one important Rule

State Regs

I know the federal dudes run the CDL program but each state has it own little things they tack on.

In Oklahoma they go by the 26,000 GVW. Everything added together

If a regular trooper stops you he will look at the tag on the door,-Usually-

However the size and weights dudes can axle you out and also check you for axle wt.

If you really want to get screwed up call your highway patrol and you will get several answers.

Oh did I say anything about air brakes???

Oh, and try to get a straight answer if you are blind in one eye!!!

Weight pads are the devil for equipment hauling good luck to those of you who do that sort of work currently. My misplacement cost me $500.00, oops should have moved it forward.:angry:

Jared

Hey XLT there is nothing that you have said that I don't agree with. I also keep up with our CDL drivers and in our Quarry operation we must travel across a county road with 65 ton haulers. And through in some explosives for good measure and things can sure get confusing in a hurry!!!!

How about the ice drivers wonder who regulates them have
not seen scales on the show must be too cold for the weigh boys!
They also are lenient on driving times there as 42 hours strait is
pushing the envelope a bit!

How about the ice drivers wonder who regulates them have
not seen scales on the show must be too cold for the weigh boys!
They also are lenient on driving times there as 42 hours strait is
pushing the envelope a bit!

GREAT POINT!! I guess if you can pull it, you could go through it!!!!. How do you fish a truck out of the ice????

Well, as the driver,, thats your job, to make sure your in compliance......have anyone mentioned "MEDICAL CARDS? "

another good topic!!!!

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials

speaking of medical cards how often need renewed?

Boy you sure are asking all of the right questions. Usually they are for two years but the doctors can write them for any amount under that if they are any medical problems. They give you a complete physical and vision test along with a finger stick to check your blood sugar. You do need to fill out a questionnaire and you want to go easy on the booze question or the doctors could drill you on it. If you want get me a fax # and I could send some info to you. However it would be best to go to the DMV so your state laws would reflect the correct info.

Well, as the driver,, thats your job, to make sure your in compliance......have anyone mentioned "MEDICAL CARDS? "

another good topic!!!!

YES it is our job!! only problem is: the regulations arent always clear & concise!! Look nowadays many are self employed & the ole pickup is the $$$ maker,johnny law just decided they`ll increase revenue by regulating a lil more stringently without considering all the scenarios!!!!

next pickup truck owners will be paying a road tax & need a sticker & permit(if a work vehicle???) already being considered!!!!

LXT...............

Back