Cedar Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to taking down one of my Cedar trees that I have marked for milling material. No pics of the tree standing but it was roughly 30-35' feet tall and right in the middle of the jungle (the woods look and feel like a rainforest right now) LOL. I got two nice logs and the top still has a couple of nice posts in it. Doubt I will mill anything today but wanted to go ahead and post some pics of the logs. View attachment 71937

View attachment 71938

View attachment 71939

View attachment 71940

OK, I couldnt resist the temptation to slice off a couple of boards, then I said "What the heck" Ill go ahead and square it up while Im at it, then after sharpening the chain I figured "What the heck" again, Ill go ahead and finish it up while Im at it. I ended up with seven nice boards at 5/4X12"X8'-6". The un-edged boards will end up at about 9 or ten inches wide after edging. These will be used for decking on a little trailer that Im fixing up to haul firewood on. The last picture is of the pile of sawdust that will be spread out in the dog kennel. Thanks for looking. View attachment 71955

View attachment 71956

View attachment 71957

View attachment 71958

View attachment 71959

Very, Very nice........your going to hurt Woodshop, when he hear's
what you are going to use that nice cedar for. ;)

Dustytools; Those are some nice looking logs and they made pretty boards. I'm with Woodshop, to nice to use for decking on a trailer. Wouldn't care if my woods looked like a jungle if there where a few cedar logs in there like that.

Nice logs Terry! Did you see any rot in the middle of them? All the ones I got ahold of before that were that big had some rot in the middle of the butt log.

Ian

Nice logs Terry! Did you see any rot in the middle of them? All the ones I got ahold of before that were that big had some rot in the middle of the butt log.

Ian

These boards came from the upper log and were totally rot free. The base log looks like it may have a slight bit in the bottom but it doesnt look like it goes too far into the log.

Last edited:
Very, Very nice........your going to hurt Woodshop, when he hear's
what you are going to use that nice cedar for. ;)

LOL, I actually thought about Woodshop when I took this baby down last night. It does seem a shame to use them for a trailer bed but It is light, weather resistant and pretty tough stuff, which makes it a real good candidate. Besides I have more where this came from, the other log is a Monster. I have four more in one of the hay fields that my FIL wants me to remove, they arent this big but they are still nice ones.:cheers:

Nice Pix Dusty,

Looks like great stuff. Wish mine was the red version! I'll make due with the white but it's no where near as pretty as that red. :cheers:

This is a western red cedar tree that I milled up over on the coast not to long ago, all siding.

It took a bit of whittling but we got it done with out any real problems.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The western red cedar seems to be slightly different then your eastern red cedar.

Dusty,
I bet it smelled great around your place while you were milling that stuff. Beautiful wood.

Surprised to hear you guys talking about rot. We used to make fence posts out of ERC. They'd supposedly last a lifetime. I doubt that. But, they were certainly rot-resistant. That trailer bed ought to last a good long time.

Nice work, nice wood, nice pics... I wish I had some cedar of my property especially that big!

Good job!

Dave :clap:

nice cedar there dusty. great millin' job too. pretty slick of you to make your FIL think you're doin' him a favor takin' those others down LOL. nice sequence of pics. thanks.:cheers:

Good looking logs and boards Terry what saw did you use on the mini mill and do you like it.:chainsaw:

Thanks Kerry. I used the 361 on the mini-mill. Ive been hooked on the mini-mill ever since I used yours. I sliced a couple of boards off before I edged the log so that I could get a little more width out of them.

Beautiful, and the log shape really allowed for maximum use, not much waste from canting. That trailer bed will be right purdy.:clap:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ive got it stacked and stickered sitting on the trailer right now. The sideboards will come from the larger log which will hopefully be milled this coming weekend. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back