Cedarus Deodar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Spent most of today slabbing a cedarus deodar.
2 sections, one 12 ft long about 12 - 14" in diameter, one 16 ft long, 14 to 18" in diameter. Sensational smell and definitely the softest thing I have ever cut.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is the 16fter
attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers

Nice. a lot of cedrus deodar grow in the Seattle area, as well as cedrus atlantica and libani.

Deodar is native to India, Atlas cedar (atlantica) to North Africa, and libani to Lebanon!

I love the trees, hate cutting them down, but the wood is awesome.

Ask bturner to post pics of the 54 inch deodar he got from a local tree service. (It fell in a storm) He made some awesome bowls from it.

Lovely stuff Bob,

I take all the cedar I can get. Mills easy, smells great, and is quite a durable outdoor builder. :cheers: The dust flys!

Nice wood! I love our local western red cedar but the odor is nothing like those exotics. The Junipers here smell similar and have beautiful rose-streaked wood, but finding even an 8" dia. juniper is like striking gold.

Are your guide rails made from Superstrut/Canstrut rails? I don't know if you have another name for that stuff down your way, but here it's mostly used for mounting electrical boxes, especially in industry. I've been considering using it myself but it's rather heavy. Of course, my 14' D. Fir 2X10 isn't exactly light... Your setup looks fairly easy to assemble and adjust though - mind if I blatantly steal your ideas? :cheers:

Last edited:
They grow in Seattle?
What do the trees look like when they're standing and alive?
Try this, http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=456

Are your guide rails made from Superstrut/Canstrut rails?
Correct. We call it Unistrut.
I've been considering using it myself but it's rather heavy.
Yep it's heavy alright but I've tried using some light weight (3/64" thick x 3/4" square) SHS, but over period of about 3 months use it bent. I thought about using an aluminium ladder but I like to adjust my rails to suit the length and width of the trunks. The channel comes in 1/16" and 3/32" thick and I went for the thicker ones so the can span any log bows without bending.

Your setup looks fairly easy to assemble and adjust though
The hardest thing about making the setup was getting all the holes to line up. I've had to carry a power drill with me to open up some of the holes.

Unlike a ladder, the rails can twist relative to each other so I carry a roll of string to check for twisting using the crossed string method. It doesn't work quite so well for narrow long logs but there are other ways of check- it all takes time though.

mind if I blatantly steal your ideas? :cheers:
Sure - they're not all mine anyway :)

That's a strange looking tree to be called a cedar. Needles like a Larch, bark like a Hemlock, and upright cones like one of the True Firs. Weird tree.

The hardest thing about making the setup was getting all the holes to line up. I've had to carry a power drill with me to open up some of the holes.

Unlike a ladder, the rails can twist relative to each other so I carry a roll of string to check for twisting using the crossed string method. It doesn't work quite so well for narrow long logs but there are other ways of check- it all takes time though.

I carry a cordless drill and impact driver set whenever I go cutting. The impact driver beats the hell out of driving lag bolts by hand. Up here we can get low-profile Superstrut that's only 1" high but the same width and sidewall thickness - it cuts down on the weight a lot but I don't know if it would have enough strength to stay straight. I'm actually making a Mini-Mill / Beam Machine combination type mill out of it right now; it should be done within a week and once I try it out I'll post it.

For adjusting the length/width, I've been tossing around a different idea that I THINK might be a bit easier and more versatile, but I'd like your opinion. Use some bar stock, maybe 1-1/2" x 1/2" to tie them together, and machine a groove in them so that one rail can slide along it to set the width. Much like how it appears your end angle iron pieces are attached (hard to tell in that photo). The bar stock would add a bit of weight over the allthread you're using but there would be no holes to line up - just loosen the bolts and slide the rails to length and width, then snug them up again. It would also add some rigidity and might help with the twisting. Even aluminum bar stock might have the necessary strength and would cut down on weight a lot. Alternatively I guess you could use some lengths of the low-pro strut I mentioned earlier and that would save you having to machine a groove too. I don't know if I'm doing a great job of explaining what I mean, but it's kinda hard to take pictures of an idea before it's built. ;) Basically though the cross braces would attach like those on the Alaskan mill with the added capability of variable width. What do you think?

Last edited:
For adjusting the length/width, I've been tossing around a different idea that I THINK might be a bit easier and more versatile, but I'd like your opinion. Use some bar stock, maybe 1-1/2" x 1/2" to tie them together, and machine a groove in them so that one rail can slide along it to set the width. Much like how it appears your end angle iron pieces are attached (hard to tell in that photo). The bar stock would add a bit of weight over the allthread you're using but there would be no holes to line up - just loosen the bolts and slide the rails to length and width, then snug them up again. It would also add some rigidity and might help with the twisting. Even aluminum bar stock might have the necessary strength and would cut down on weight a lot. Alternatively I guess you could use some lengths of the low-pro strut I mentioned earlier and that would save you having to machine a groove too. I don't know if I'm doing a great job of explaining what I mean, but it's kinda hard to take pictures of an idea before it's built. ;) Basically though the cross braces would attach like those on the Alaskan mill with the added capability of variable width. What do you think?

I think I know what you mean but a diagram would be useful.

Obviously the cross members can't go on top because the mill needs to slide on the rails but underneath also has some complications.

On about my 3rd set of rails I did use cross pieces of 1/4 x 2" solid steel stock. Even this setup still twisted for lengths over 10ft. It looked like this;
attachment.php

To support the rails I made a dozen or so adjustable length spikes that ride in the rail and stick into the log.
attachment.php

The support provided by the spikes was not all that good and (as seen before on this site) I think bolt heads riding direct on the bark would be better. However, the reason I gave up on this is because I mill a lot of weirdly shaped pieces of wood, when there are variables lengths of metal (Spikes dangling down from the rails) one really needs to know where they all are and after two accidents where I ran the chain into the spikes I threw them into the metal scraps bin. There was also an awful lot of mucking about sliding on/off the spikes.

I have since settled on this setup as I think it is the most stable when cutting the first slab.
attachment.php

I try and arrange the inner edges of the rails to sit on the log and the all thread cross pieces to sit on, or in grooves in, the bark. I usually put the rails on the log and adjust the width, and then adjust the end pieces to suit, mark the where the all threads cross the log, remove the rails and cut grooves in the bark with a CS for the all thread to sit in. Of course not all logs will have all three contact points available. In some cases with longish distances between contacts I place wooden wedges under the rails. This has worked well and if the chain runs into the wedges its no big deal.

Here is a view of the adjustable ends - these work very well, especially being able to screw those bolts into the end grain.
attachment.php

I have slabbed some crooked short (6 ft) logs where only these end pieces have been supporting the rails - this worked fine because the rail is heavy duty.

Working in a yard means not having to carry my rails too far but if ,and when, I go bush I will have to make myself a lighter set of rails.

Cheers

Last edited:
They grow in Seattle?

What do the trees look like when they're standing and alive?

Nikko

I'm out of town. Give me some time and I'll post some pics of some that we've pruned.....

One of the most technical removals we've done was a 54" dbh atlantica that took 2 plus days to complete....those photos are not digitized....

The rail system looks pretty good Bob.

I've been using the ladder but it can a bit unwieldy on smaller logs and it's always as wide as it is. (no width adjustment) Looking too make a small log rail system like yours. I like the slot in the end pieces for that adjustment. My Brother is an Electrician (papermills) so he might be able too hook me up with the unistrut?

Interesting wood fellas, wish we had some around here on east coast. From the looks and sounds of what you are saying though, it does look similar to some of the cedars grown here. Nice job on the pics and explanation of your rail system Bob.

The rail system looks pretty good Bob.

I've been using the ladder but it can a bit unwieldy on smaller logs and it's always as wide as it is. (no width adjustment) Looking too make a small log rail system like yours. I like the slot in the end pieces for that adjustment. My Brother is an Electrician (papermills) so he might be able too hook me up with the unistrut?

I just went to one of our local electrical contracting companies that do work for heavy industry. They're a pretty big company and also sell to the public. It was $18 CDN for a 10 foot section of the low-profile 1" stuff, I would expect the 1-1/2 to be a bit more. Your bro might be able to find some for free/cheap from work though, and failing that could probably get a contractor's discount at an electrical or steel supply.

I just went to one of our local electrical contracting companies that do work for heavy industry. They're a pretty big company and also sell to the public. It was $18 CDN for a 10 foot section of the low-profile 1" stuff, I would expect the 1-1/2 to be a bit more. Your bro might be able to find some for free/cheap from work though, and failing that could probably get a contractor's discount at an electrical or steel supply.

+1 That's what I was thinking.

Latest posts

Back