Central Boiler Owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAwoodchopper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Would you recommend one ???? Any problems with anything ??? Anyone using the forced air kit ?????? I am 95% sure I am going with the Dual Fuel CL6048, I was going to get the Protage & Main but changed my mind...... Will be ordering it the end of this week...

Why did you change your mind?

Dunno what a P & M is....my CB5036 has been awesome, I did my own install, with another make of hydrocoil....make sure you do/have done a heat loss, size your coil to meet the load at 150 deg. or so water, or oversize by 20%...you'll be golden.

Dunno what a P & M is....my CB5036 has been awesome, I did my own install, with another make of hydrocoil....make sure you do/have done a heat loss, size your coil to meet the load at 150 deg. or so water, or oversize by 20%...you'll be golden.

Mtfallsmikey makes a good point, have a heat loss done. I did not do one and should have. I made out OK though. My dealer and the sizing chart (for newer homes) that CB provides hit the nail on the head. According to the sizing chart my home built in 2003 at 4600 sq/ft was near the top of the 5036 range. My dealer had both the 6048 and 5036 in stock and could have sold me either but said in the long run the 5036 would use a lot less wood and initial cost was a couple grand less too. I use set-back T-Stats to prevent all zones from calling for heat at the same time. Last Winter during a below zero spell, the 5036 worked very well and had no problem keeping up with the set point at 185F. I will note however that during these periods I did go outside once more around 10:30PM to throw in a couple more big chunks of wood for the overnight. Most days I load 2x a day though. I do not have dual fuel (my Weil-Mclain oil burner will kick on if the CB goes below 140F) and I have natural draft. With a CB I do not think the draft kit is required and is just an additional expense and another item to break. Keep it simple save your $$$ and do not go with the draft fan kit. Good luck.

Scoot, you have the prototype OWB/HX/hydronic heat install...everyone should see the pics of it. I've been amazed with that much sq. ft., and the corresponding heat load, that the 5036 keeps up, but well-thought out design and installation makes it all come together.

I spent 11 months doing research before I purchased my OWB. I started out with AquaTherm and after finding this site I ended up with a Central Boiler.

Read everything you can on this site that pertains to OWB. Use well insulated underground pex. I’m sure all OWB are good in their own way but the Central is simple and less parts. I went with the oversize heat exchanger with the 009 pump and very happy with it. Make sure you have a good dealer that you can sit down and talk to. My dealer sold me my pumps, most of my valves and several clamps for less than I could get them for on line or at any of the home centers so compare prices. My heat exchangers were purchased on ebay. Most of all, read all of the postings on this site. There is many good ideas on here so when in doubt, ask, ask, ask. I’m glad I did. Good Luck!

Scoot, you have the prototype OWB/HX/hydronic heat install...everyone should see the pics of it. I've been amazed with that much sq. ft., and the corresponding heat load, that the 5036 keeps up, but well-thought out design and installation makes it all come together.

It would be tough without the timed T-Stats. Like I've said before, we don't typically hang out downstairs at night so that zone kicks back to 50F at 6:20PM. At 6:40PM the upstairs calls for heat to bring it back up a few degrees in the bedrooms. Also at this time Dishwasher/Laundry/Baths for kids may be going on. I have an 80 Gal super store for DHW so plenty of DHW. In the AM the upstairs zones kick down around 6:40 AM and First floor kicks on to 68F at 6:50AM. The key here if it is very cold out, is to go out and load the CB around 6:30-7:00AM so it's ripping for AM showers and first floor recovery. The first floor never takes more than 20-25 minutes to come back and rarely has it gone below 55F overnight. If anyone needs pictures here's the thread:http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=76966

Last edited:
Have the 5648 for about 5 years now. Highly recommend CB. Only problem was a solenoid for the draft door. I bought the dual fuel model because I leave sometimes for a few weeks in the winter and used the burner to keep the unit from freezing. Should have saved my money and just put in anti freeze from the start which I ended up doing anyway. The oil burner is not very effecient in such a unit, used quite a bit of oil for what it did. Keeping 400 gallons of water hot takes a lot. Also agree with oversizing the HE. Do not know anything about the draft kit, certainly have never found any short coming that I even thought I would need it.

I have a CB 6048 and I love it. Heat approx 2600 sq. ft. in a house that was built in 1888. The house stays a consistant 72 degrees easily with out using too much wood. I put wood in the stove one time a day in 10 degree weather. Highly recommend CB - I am the third one in my family to get one and we have all had great luck with them. Install it yourself if you can - it is easy to do and you will know much more about the unit if you do it yourself.

5036 here....draft kit? I have more chimney than most (2 extra sections past the 2 that CB gives you so I'm close to 20ft up) but the draft infront of the door feels like there is a fan in there already. I somewhat wish I didn't have to seperate my ash from hot coals when I clean out but it's only like once a month so not a big deal and I'd rather not have to cleaning the grates like alot of them with fans have.
I get a ton of heat out of my 5036...1200sqft house and most of my shop, probably about 2500sqft most of which is 14ft ceiling with crap insulation...keep throwing wood in and it will put out a ton of heat.

Last edited:
2 thumbs up

I have had mine 2 years. I recommend CB. Get the best insulated pipe you can get. I got the Termopex and have almost zero heat loss.
Don't have forced draft. Haven't needed it.

Scott

Last edited:
ive got the 6048 as well. had to replace a pump cartridge is all, i think. get spares of cartridges, solenoid. if i had to do anything over i would have went with the high dollar pex. 5 years and no problems other than that.

5036 with forced draft. I am glad to have it when I let things burn too low. Every now and then I will find the water jacket at 100degF b/c I neglected to resupply the wood. I think that the forced draft helps recovery from these situations.

I have a 5036 myself. new to it this year, and don't regret me decision a bit. I don't know if I'd go with the forced draft option, I don't have it and have really never needed it. A couple times it's been down to just a few small coals and I've worried about it dying out, but just feed it some more wood and off it goes!

Definately use good underground pipe, I used the ThermoPex and love it, I have a couple buddies that used the cheap stuff with bubble wrap in drain tile, and they're pissed they didn't just do it right the first time, they're thinking about digging it back out and starting again.

Best of luck, if you need help there's a ton of good advice on here, just ask and somebody will know.

Another happy Central Boiler 6048 here. I load once a day in the coldest of winter heating about 2400 sf. The only time I think you may need a force draft is if you plan to run year around and burn soft wood. I fired mine up in august and was burning poplar and that wood leaves no coals so I had the fire go out on me a few times. But if your burning hard wood I would not bother with it. Also go with the expensive underground pipe like Logstor. It will pay for itself in no time.

Good Luck,

Anthony

I recently installed a 5036 with no forced air draft and am very happy with it. Our house is about 2-2500 square foot, built in the 1840's, and is your typical "old drafty farmhouse". NO insulation (yet), and lots of drafts through old hardwood floors etc. Outside temps have been around 10* at night, 20-25* in the day, and I have been seeing 16-24 hour burn times. Went 36 hours the other day when days were in the 40's and nights were in the high 30's. Love it, love it, love it!!

i HAVE THE smallest CB..3648 or something like that. Its fine for my 2300 house. I put a draft booster in the chimney because i built a partial greenhouse and wood storage building around the OWB and the draft booster helps keep the smoke out of my face and helps get green wood going.

I have the best pipe..and agree with all, its the way to go. I do lose 12 degrees on my long 150 foot run at least.

be sure to put the door so the wind can sweep the smoke away. If the door is downwind, a pocket vacume created can sometimes cause so much smoke back feed its not healthy.

I access the chimney from the second floor of this structure and run a brush down it every three weeks or so...

i HAVE THE smallest CB..3648 or something like that. Its fine for my 2300 house. I put a draft booster in the chimney because i built a partial greenhouse and wood storage building around the OWB and the draft booster helps keep the smoke out of my face and helps get green wood going.

I have the best pipe..and agree with all, its the way to go. I do lose 12 degrees on my long 150 foot run at least.

be sure to put the door so the wind can sweep the smoke away. If the door is downwind, a pocket vacume created can sometimes cause so much smoke back feed its not healthy.

I access the chimney from the second floor of this structure and run a brush down it every three weeks or so...

I think some posted pics of the greenhouse are in order!!!

Latest posts

Back