Ms 880 carb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just fyi , sometimes a hamfisted screwdriver turner can waller out the tiny aluminum seat that the needle sits in by forcing it into the housing to hard or if the needle is loose it'll damce around in the seat . Essentially you have to setthe needle in farther to offset the larger hole.
Carb might be shot, I would see if you can get another one to test on the saw. There's knock offs of those carbs for about 50$ ,just for testing.
The MS880 was also rev limiter coil too, so it would be better to era on the side of safety and not burn up a 1500.00 saw over a 150.00 carburetor.
The needle seats look fine, no scratches, etc. But, if I can't find the needed pts I'll have to replace the whole thing. $130 from my local Stihl gal so not terrible on a $2500 saw.

The needle seats look fine, no scratches, etc. But, if I can't find the needed pts I'll have to replace the whole thing. $130 from my local Stihl gal so not terrible on a $2500 saw.
So is the carb on the saw actually a WG? It is interesting that the IPL that you show shows no o-rings, washers, or springs but that could just mean that it is a an older version.

As far as these parts go there are probably other non-Stihl versions of the carb that use the same 3 missing parts.

I would call Walbo tech support in Cass City Michigan and see if they could get you a generic IPL for the WG series. From here you'll have Walbro part numbers for the missing parts and you can go to a distributor like V.E. Petersen to get them. Tech support might also be able to tell you if these 3 parts are used on any other Walbro series other than the WG.

So is the carb on the saw actually a WG? It is interesting that the IPL that you show shows no o-rings, washers, or springs but that could just mean that it is a an older version.

As far as these parts go there are probably other non-Stihl versions of the carb that use the same 3 missing parts.

I would call Walbo tech support in Cass City Michigan and see if they could get you a generic IPL for the WG series. From here you'll have Walbro part numbers for the missing parts and you can go to a distributor like V.E. Petersen to get them. Tech support might also be able to tell you if these 3 parts are used on any other Walbro series other than the WG.
Peterson was the 2nd call :p
Finally got a better response from Walbro today.
Turns out this carb does not have springs. The caps do the work of the springs. The needles come with o rings installed. Rings are not available separately from Stihl

Needles are backordered so I'll know next Tue whether they can even be ordered. The caps are available. Owner ok-ed a new carb so I ordered that today.

I may wind up with a spare carb if the needles and caps actually show up :p

I also found out that Stihl bought Walbro, crazy.

I may wind up with a spare carb if the needles and caps actually show up :p
Your existing carb may have other issues... Based on the above setting information the stock setting is 1 1/2 turns out on the H screw. Yours is currently running at 1/2. This either means that the H needle seat is worn/munged or the H fixed jet inside the carb has been drilled out.

I also found out that Stihl bought Walbro, crazy.
Got a press release? Stihl bought Zama about 5 or so years ago. Don't know why they would need a second carb manufacturer.

The needle as in the adjustment holes for your settings could be messed up? Id just get another carb to try.

The needle as in the adjustment holes for your settings could be messed up? Id just get another carb to try.
Ordered.
the needles are fine. The o rings are shot.
Your existing carb may have other issues... Based on the above setting information the stock setting is 1 1/2 turns out on the H screw. Yours is currently running at 1/2. This either means that the H needle seat is worn/munged or the H fixed jet inside the carb has been drilled out.

Got a press release? Stihl bought Zama about 5 or so years ago. Don't know why they would need a second carb manufacturer.
i was told by my Stihl dealer. I’ll ask tomorrow if she has anything official.

kinda what I was thinking. Whoever futzed with this one screwed it up.

How did you get on with this in the end?
I have an 880 with the same carb & it doesn't want to idle right. Been through the carb several times, it was pretty spotless from the get go tho. I can spray carb cleaner in the L adjustment hole & it will come out the low speed & transitional holes so I'm reluctant to pop the welch plug, but I'm not sure what else to do.
I found the o-rings were a little loose for my liking so I removed them, wrapped a few rounds of Teflon tape around the shaft & popped em back on... did the trick nicely (I didn't have anything that small on hand either)

How did you get on with this in the end?
I have an 880 with the same carb & it doesn't want to idle right. Been through the carb several times, it was pretty spotless from the get go tho. I can spray carb cleaner in the L adjustment hole & it will come out the low speed & transitional holes so I'm reluctant to pop the welch plug, but I'm not sure what else to do.
I found the o-rings were a little loose for my liking so I removed them, wrapped a few rounds of Teflon tape around the shaft & popped em back on... did the trick nicely (I didn't have anything that small on hand either)
The needles were bent and the threads in the carb body were buggered...replaced the whole carb...problem solved

Thanks, I don't think that's the issue with mine.
I'll have to get a kit for it so I can check under the welch plug I guess.
Did Walbro ever end up providing you any usefull information?

Thanks, I don't think that's the issue with mine.
I'll have to get a kit for it so I can check under the welch plug I guess.
Did Walbro ever end up providing you any usefull information?
Contacting Walbro was a joke. I was told it was a Stihl product and they had no info on them. Sheesh…🙄

do you have a sonic tank? If not, get one…works great to dislodge tiny particles deep in the carb body. Is it a perfect solution? No, but a lot better than just squirting carb cleaner in the holes :p
i run the carb body and parts in Berryman’s carb cleaner…in the bottle, not the spray can. It can be filtered and reused.

I've got an ultrasonic cleaner, bought it out specifically for this the other day only to find there was a pin hole etched in the bottom of the tank... so now I have something else to fix...

Back