Certification Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeMike

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been climbing for three years. I have been studying to take my arborist certification test. I've studied the isa study guide and two other books. New tree biology by shigo and Arboricultiure integrated mangement of landscape trees shrubs and vines. Is this enough to pass the exam with? Also does this open more doors for a climber like me? I work for a company now but would eventually like to have my own business

Take the test, consider it an investment in your future. If your intention is to continue in the business and move forward, certification might open some doors later on. Just remember it is not the golden ticket to fame and fortune, you must be good at what you do, know the job and industry and continue educating yourself beyond the CA test. Good luck.

If you have the study guide, the questions at the end of each chapter are representitive of the test. In fact, some of those exact questions may be on the test.
Other than that, there is the identification part of the test, where they have samples sitting on a desk and you need to figure out which one of 5 possibilities each one is.

Yes check on ID, and review your weak areas. don't do like me and flunk a domain due to overconfidence and lack of experience (like I did with cabling).

Certification is $ in the bank that earns great interest.

jimmyq said:
Guy, you didnt pass cabling? :) now I dont feel bad for missing that domain myself. took me 4 minutes to do the section rewrite when the exam came around to my part of the country again.
Yeah I felt like an idiot; thought I knew it all and then wham, reality check. The retake was easy to do here, even back in 92.

TreeMike, does your company have a CA yet? It's a big plus for advertising; should be a plus for your paycheck too.

o.k.

Thanx for the info. My company does not have a certified ca I'll be the first one. I really enjoy what I do and anything that will further my career choice I will do. I want to have something for when I get to old to climb. That is a long time away but It couldn't help to start preparing now. I don't have any benifits or anything in fact I get paid in cash so I'm not even paying social security.

TreeMike said:
Thanx for the info. My company does not have a certified ca I'll be the first one. I really enjoy what I do and anything that will further my career choice I will do. I want to have something for when I get to old to climb. That is a long time away but It couldn't help to start preparing now. I don't have any benifits or anything in fact I get paid in cash so I'm not even paying social security.

Be careful! Cash is King and it seems great at the time, but it doesn't pay in the long run.

My two cents would be over prepare for your test, and when you pass, start shopping yourself around to some tree companies that are above the board.

My test was about 18 months ago - there were 10 plant ID specimens (photos in this case) and there is little room for error.

oh god!! another person wanting ca status, I have talked to several ISA CA`s in my area & there is serious concern for this title even landscape tech`s can get it, grasscutters,maids & even computerprogramer`s when will the ISA make a skill`s test mandatory for this certification? then we can weed out those who dont deserve it!!! many in my area state it has hurt them more than help them customers feel ca`s would waste their expertise trimming/removing trees(overqualified) & that with such certification a much higher price would be demanded thus giving work to non-cert layedoff hacks doin it for 1/2 the price, bottom line alot of ca`s are thinkin about lettin their cert. go good luck LXT....................

TreeMike said:
I want to have something for when I get to old to climb. That is a long time away but It couldn't help to start preparing now. .
Got that right. I'm mid 50's and arthritic in the shoulders but it doesn't slow me much. I cut back on climbing because the other work is interesting and more rewarding than climbing all the time. :blob2:

"many in my area state it has hurt them more than help them customers feel ca`s would waste their expertise trimming/removing trees(overqualified) & that with such certification a much higher price would be demanded thus giving work to non-cert layedoff hacks doin it for 1/2 the price, bottom line alot of ca`s are thinkin about lettin their cert. go "
lxt sounds like you're in a strange place there in PA.
It's natural for the removal work to trend more to the guys who don't know how to do anything else, as the CA's sell PHC. As for certs putting prices out of reach, that's a laugh. I've raised my prices a little since I got the BCMA and Municipal Spec, but I'm still competitive on pruning jobs. And a lot of tree owners understand that I'm a lot cheaper when you consider the long term health of their trees. ;)

You got a point tho; CA's need to be able to do and sell PHC to really make it to the next level. It takes less than a buck a day to stay cert, so dropping out has nothing to do with economics. If they drop cert and swim with the bottom feeders again, how would that help them? If the only tool you use is a saw, you're bound to wind up cutting throats. :angry:

treeseer, why would droppin their cert. put them with the bottomfeeders? just because they dont have a current cert. doesnt mean they are worse in their trade. most are complaining about the politics of it all & if you have been certified for a good many years you`ll realize the ceu`s and how to get them are exhausted, buyin the books & attending the meetings/shows, etc... gets old when you hear & read the same thing, I guess buy all the books for ceu`s then start over again. I dont know how you stay certified for a $1 a day, goto one show(in the big city) ohh yeah you get credit for it what 8 ceu`s you need 30 in 3yrs the price of parking & eating along with motel/hotel stay & days lost wages. MMmmm thats a lil expensive & if you buy the books & go that route its even more expensive. I say let your cert expire and then take the test again its a lot cheaper. LXT..............................

lxt, members can get 30 ceu's for $11.10. That's the cost of 30 stamps, used to send in 30 answer sheets from the tests in the magazines that come free to each member. Help, a good pizza costs more than that, so what are you talking about?
not cheap enough; you want em free, here they are: For those of you who have railed against certification because it was a "money grab", and the grievous expense of ceu's: First of all, I always thought you had a very weak case. And now, you have no case at all: http://on-line-seminars.com

.75 ceu's for skimming an article (or not ) and posting a comment. It can't get any easier than that, folks.

"attending the meetings/shows, etc... gets old when you hear & read the same thing,"
Yeah I agree the same thing gets old, but i went to nashville and heard a lot of new things; got my $'s worth out of it; here are some of them:

Tuning in to Trees in Nashville

“A growing tree is like a symphony: All the instruments in harmony”. Legendary educator T. T. Kozlowski spent his semesters conducting the symphonic masterpiece that is a healthy tree. Composed of roots wiggling in the dirt and leaves waving in the wind, all woven together by a myriad array of cells saturated in sugars and juices, the tree is nourished by sunshine and sent forth into earth and sky, propelled by subtle signals from chemical transmitters.

The Southern Chapter made some beautiful music called the ISA Conference in Nashville, Tennessee in 2005. Like a Kozlowskian seminar on tree physiology, or the feeling that you get from a song, the cool runnings of this conference came out of the complex interplay between all the instruments: organizing committees writing out the score, volunteers sustaining the harmony that brought people from all over the world together to celebrate the growing of healthy trees, arboriculture. It was a rewarding experience; thanks to all who played a part. Here are some snapshots:

For some it started on Saturday, when Jim Urban carried in a bunch of city dirt—pardon me, urban soil—and dished out his understanding of the ways to work with this fundamental phenomenon well enough to grow trees. Inside we defined the terms and reviewed the science and wiggled dirtworms to judge the soil’s content. Outside we saw firsthand the human-disrupted soil profiles and witnessed the results: strong trees in good earth, weak trees in mixed-up soil.

The final day of the conference featured the Society of Commercial Arboriculture’s field session look at decay detection devices. Participants got a good look at everything from rubber hammers to radar, demonstrated by the professionals that manufacture and market them. Chris Duley’s devices were his eyes. Based on Schwarze’s book Fungal Strategies of Wood Decay in Trees, Duley’s version of Visual Tree Assessment looks for symptoms of fungal activity. His book on the subject sold out the first day at the ISA booth on the trade show floor.

Concurrently Wednesday afternoon was a strong slate of educational sessions sponsored by AREA. From Virginia Tech came a study on deep planting, which documented the therapeutic benefits of the diagnostic process of RCE—root collar examination. From Georgia came an example of GPS in the classroom; a very popular class build around landscape tree surveys by students. The survey highlighted county landmark trees, helping citizens identify their cultural connection. Since employers want enthusiasm, independence, interpersonal skills, technological innovation, this course readied the students for more real-world success after school. Future classes will bring the program to elementary schools, with a grant to teach GPS to 5th graders.

Also from Virginia Tech came a study on the effects of rootball type and season on transplanting on growth of sugar maple and red oak There the fall-planted trees started sooner, but the spring-planted trees caught up. Watering twice a week proved more important that anything else. Next came Jochen Pfisterer from Germany, with an ambitious effort to classify trees according to their architecture, and specifying pruning strategies according to these innate growth habits. Pfisterer showed some remarkable examples of restoring tree crowns based on his system. His book needs to be translated into English; anyone out there sprechen Deutsch?

From Arizona came a study that showed the benefits of organic mulch straight out of the chipper box over other, more popular types of mulch. Finally, Keith Woeste of the USFS shared a forensic case study in which he was able to nail the rustler of a black walnut tree based on its DNA. You can see the whole story at http://www.ncrs.fs.fed.us/4157/

Inside and out, this was a fantastic conference. Thank you ISASC for tuning us in, and see you all in Minneapolis!

ohh treeseer, $11.10 to keep your cert? Your drinkin your own bathwater!!! 1st off arborist news is a bimonthly mag. giving you .75 - 1 ceu x 6 = giving you 4 or 6 ceu`s x 3yrs = at best 18ceu`s 12 ceu`s short!!! & your mentioned trip to nashville sounded very nice did you get ceu`s for that? bet that lil trip cost more than $11.10!!! lets not forget about keepin your own records for submitted answers out of those magazines as it seems the ISA has a wonderful habit of loosin track and not given you credit. you can blow smoke into all these new trimmers wantin this cert. get their pride pumped up,tell em they`ll make more money, & that they wont have to be with the bottom dwellers anymore(hahahah) you never did answer that ? in my last post!! you know what treeseer I hope all these new guys & older trimmers go get their cert. & after 6 to 9yrs of the political BS & finding out $11.10 wont get you to the nearest ISA conference(heck your regisration fee`s are well over $100-$200) & the membership starts fallin off(& it will) they`ll then realize that the certification they once coveted means nothin!!!! dont fret though!! the ISA will whip up a new cert. thats better yet just hang in there!! personally treeseer and seriously my finances did not improve with cert. knowledge(yes) so this make more $ when cert. is a true rumor and total BS. I could go on all day & then some!!! you keep spreadin the rumors I guess my lctt cert. will be all I have come back home bottom dwellers, come home!! LXT....................

lxt I stand corrected on that bimonthly thing, still you can get half the ceu's needed for 18 stamps that's $6.66. (uh oh will I get banned from AS for satanic references? Shudder!)

As for the rest there is that online website where they are free, so I'll correct myself; $6.66 is all you need to spend to stay certified! Keeping track of your own submissions is not onerous. Other opportunities abound; see http://www.isa-arbor.com/certification/ceus.aspx yes they cost money (some very little!) but the side benefit of that is learning, something we all can use more of.

Please pardon the bottomfeederdweller comment; misplaced perspective. If people want to make an honest living by physical work that's their business. But what will they do when their physique wears out...

tree seer can you point me more closely to the info about mulch straight out of the chipper box being better ... i mulched my elm this year with [[[yeah yeah]]] i know way to much green mulch...and it kinda mounded up ..... i just had to get rid of a load of mulch real quick like ... so i dumped it on my elm tree no where else in the yard was available .... anyhow i kept it wet to kepp the temp. down and this tree looks better than it ever has ..... id love any info on how good mulch straight out of my chipper is ....heck im giving the stuff away ....

When the live oaks at louisiana state u were declining they hired a consultant. he prescribed "bioremediation", which was dumping 6" of fresh chips on every erodedsquareinchofroot zone he could. The trees flourished.

That was the gist of the study in arizona.

Never mind the 2-4" max guideline, never mind the unproven suspicion that green chips must be composted before application.

Bottom line--The trees want their leaves, and twigs, and dead critters, and...
Back! Now!! :blob6:

my tree got about 3 tons ...i had to dig holes in to release the heat .... this tree looks great its been about 5 months since i dumped and now the pile has shrunk to about 6 inches to one foot ..... oh well the leaves are dark green and they are holding ....

Last edited:
I would be surprised if that study didn't mention the notoriously low nitrogen content of green chips. This can be easily and inexpensively straightened out by sprinkling pretty much any fertilizer evenly into the chip zone, even straight urea. This balances the nutrients so the fungus can run faster. Pretty much all higher insect life uses fungus as a food source within the pile (very few insects actually eat wood). The succession of all species of little things in the chips is enhanced as a result of this early treatment.

But we're talking about certification, aren't we.

Back