Certified Tree Expert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what the "DCA" is. the bill has passed in the senate, it is not voluntary, it will take several years to put in place and who knows if and when they will actually police the new license.

the DEP will establish "THE NEW JERSEY BOARD OF TREE EXPERTS"
GET YOUR CHECKBOOK OUT and START SIGNING CHECKS .......... post # 9 tells you how to look up the new licensing

So they will create another professional board, the same as they do for doctors, electricians, plumbers, hairdressers, etc?

Up to our eyeballs in Ohio with poor quality treework! I do not see any certification coming soon and 2010 is already shaping up to be a ridiculous year for low bidders! It chafes me no end how badly these morons bid jobs... thankfully their follow-through is equally poor. On the same note I have been really fighting to keep my cool with some of the unrealistic expectations of customers wanting estimates thinking now is a great time to get treework done for dirt cheap. I have been telling them that the tree can stand till the next bad storm brings it down on the house and if you think that my insured professional quality work price is out of bounds now you are gonna ---- yourself when you see the price to crane that tree off of your house and clean up the mess then. Have a good day!

Up to our eyeballs in Ohio with poor quality treework! I do not see any certification coming soon and 2010 is already shaping up to be a ridiculous year for low bidders! It chafes me no end how badly these morons bid jobs... thankfully their follow-through is equally poor. On the same note I have been really fighting to keep my cool with some of the unrealistic expectations of customers wanting estimates thinking now is a great time to get treework done for dirt cheap. I have been telling them that the tree can stand till the next bad storm brings it down on the house and if you think that my insured professional quality work price is out of bounds now you are gonna ---- yourself when you see the price to crane that tree off of your house and clean up the mess then. Have a good day!

X2

I would be all for required licensing if I thought it would do any good. People here are not concerned about licensing or certification. Cheap work is king here. I have only had one client ever ask me about certification (which I'm not certified). I told them the truth and it made no difference. It is a commercial account that I still have today. I would jump on the mandatory licensing and certification in a heartbeat if I thought it would do anything to regulate the industry and curb the weekend hacks. Problem is, no one wants it here. People want to be able to hire who they want to (cheapest bidder) and do what they want with their trees. Not to mention that it is unenforceable and would do nothing but bleed money from people who are trying to run a legitimate service.

Wow!!! if the states start to license & require what New Jersey is implementing then what would the need for ISA & the TCIA be? personally I think a license/registration is good but its not going to eliminate the "hacks".

Recently in the local paper in my area a couple new companies just sprang up?? I love their ads, they range from "we`ll beat any written bid" to claiming to be "the best climbing arborists in the area"...then theres the guy that just says ---- tree service, reasonable, insured!!

they`re coming outta the wood work!! I am up for a license/regulation...but whos gonna run the show? secondly: we have to remember this is still America & the right to free enterprise must not be infringed upon!!! I have work! & feel very blessed, but am thinking seriously about a change in livelyhood!

If good paying jobs dont start opening up we are in for a long ride of how low can you go & survive!!

LXT................

i took the prep courses a few yrs ago for the NJCTE but never took the test. Steve Chisolms wife was my teacher as well as other guest speakers from Rutgers etc. Was educational and feel its a good program. They have always scheduled the test itself during my most busy seasons spring and fall. Its an all day affair and I can not possibly take off when work is strong. The prep courses were in the winter, which is when the test should be. The test itself is much harder to pass than ISA, very similar to Massachusetts Certified Arborists (MCA). However, you can not claim to be a certfied arborist in NJ with the NJCTE cert.
Sadly, most who want to see credentials ask for certified arborists stats and not the NJCTE. Even though the NJCTE has the knowldge a certfied arborist and then some. I have both NJCTE and ISA cert arbs on my staff.

As far as regulation, there is ZERO in NJ, and like others mentioned I do not see it becoming regulated any time soon.

Wow. It sounds like we are kind of lucky here in MD, in that they do enforce the law. (The most business-unfriendly state in the country though). The hacks can be hard to catch in the act, but a lot of them run ads in the local newspaper, and you can just cut out the page and turn it in to the natural resources police. They will call the phone numbers listed and check up on the company, and will issue them a cease and desist order until they are able to get a license. They also like tips on where the hacks are working, they will actually check up on them. I feel like a jerk, turning some of these folks in, but hey, I spend a LOT of money in licenses, fees, permits, continuing ed, DOT compliance, taxes, and insurance, and I think they should have to as well.

wow. It sounds like we are kind of lucky here in md, in that they do enforce the law. (the most business-unfriendly state in the country though). The hacks can be hard to catch in the act, but a lot of them run ads in the local newspaper, and you can just cut out the page and turn it in to the natural resources police. They will call the phone numbers listed and check up on the company, and will issue them a cease and desist order until they are able to get a license. They also like tips on where the hacks are working, they will actually check up on them. I feel like a jerk, turning some of these folks in, but hey, i spend a lot of money in licenses, fees, permits, continuing ed, dot compliance, taxes, and insurance, and i think they should have to as well.

of course they should. Customers think they are getting a estimate apples to apples and its not even close. Not only do they not pay all the fees, but they ususally don't have the knowledge that goes with a proffessional company.

you know ,some kind of legislation or inforcement needs to be in place to keep the dopers and drunks out of the trees.its hard to bid against someone who will do a job for the price of a case of beer or a bag of pot or an 8ball of crack.you know what i meen??

flitch, ya man, cough,cough I hear ya :laugh:

Back