chain about wore out pics required

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikemike

loud pipes save lives
Reaction score
This is the original echo safety chain for my top handle it still cuts good and il use it till a tooth goes flying off. Glad i still have 6 other chains to run on my saw.20150514_073544.jpg20150514_073306.jpg Luckily its not a big saw or this chain would be in the trash.

I just did one O-72 for a guy as a back up back up chain with less then that. I swear you could not touch this chain up 1 more time as it was to the back of cutter on the angle this last time.

I got many like the OP chain posted in the retired chain section for parts.

I got many like the OP chain posted in the retired chain section for parts.
I was going to start a chain wear section in my 'Challenge Chain' thread. Most of the used chains I get in come without a history, but the wear tells part of a story.

I have received chains like Bikemike posted - worn down to the nubs (I call them 'EOL' or End-Of-Life chains) with tie straps and drive links that almost look new. I have also received chains that maybe have been filed once, where the tie straps are worn almost to the rivets, and the drive links look like they went through a garbage disposal.

The chain wear diagnosis section of the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual ( Pages 50-55 http://www.oregonproducts.com/maintenance/manual.htm) helps to interpret some of this wear. Usually things like chain tension or worn sprockets.

Philbert

Does anyone do like the manual for my British motorcycle mentions. Push the chain mark a spot then pull the chain and note the difference. Do a certain number of links and once the difference exceeds some spec toss the chain. It seems a good way to rationalize tossing a few chains into the trash without sharpening them back to nothing. I realize some folks on here like their chains back to above the rivet, not me.

Some oregon chains didnt have much cutter on them to begin with . When you find tree hugger traps or nails in wood ur cutters can get pretty phucked up fast. That chain has been banged up a few times. Glad it has not happened to my carlton chain yet

Does anyone do like the manual for my British motorcycle mentions. Push the chain mark a spot then pull the chain and note the difference. Do a certain number of links and once the difference exceeds some spec toss the chain. It seems a good way to rationalize tossing a few chains into the trash without sharpening them back to nothing. I realize some folks on here like their chains back to above the rivet, not me.
That chain push pull trick is a good one sprockets can be deceiving.

It is easier than that with a chain saw. If it get streched to far you will either run out of adjustment or it will tighten and loosen and you roll it around the bar.

i throw out all my done for chains. i do run them all to the point where the teeth are about ready to break off. there's a guy where i'm from who can't sharpen a chain to save his life so the guy buys chains, runs them til they're dull, then try's to sell them on the facebook trading post for more then the local dealer sells them for. LOL

I recycle the 'done for' chains in my shop scrap metal box. But I hang on to some for parts (tie straps and drive links), to experiment with on the grinder, rust experiments, etc.

Met some guys who use a chain once, then sell them for $7 less (cost of sharpening) so that they alway have new chains. I have bought some 'used-once-never-sharpened' chains for a few bucks a piece on eBay, for 50 cents each at garage sales, and picked a few for free out of trash cans.

Philbert

i throw out all my done for chains. i do run them all to the point where the teeth are about ready to break off. there's a guy where i'm from who can't sharpen a chain to save his life so the guy buys chains, runs them til they're dull, then try's to sell them on the facebook trading post for more then the local dealer sells them for. LOL
Thats smart. Covers gas money to get them

Ever had a chain break cutting in wood??

Never had a chain break, although I have seen some cracked links, and some scary repair jobs, on loops that I would not run.

I have had chains 'jump' off the bar, and have had cutters break off - good reasons for PPE, chain catchers, etc.

Oregon and others warn of 'chain shot' with harvesters, that looks pretty scary.

Philbert

http://www.oregonproducts.com/harvester/service/chain_shot.htm

http://www.orosha.org/pdf/hazards/2993-29.pdf

http://www.cmeig.com.au/documents/CMEIGPositionPaper-ChainShotPhenomenon.pdf

Back