chain brake left on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can run your saw with the chain brake on, you got no chain brake! Duh! Sorry, but, really,
Jeff :confused:

Sorry, but, really, "Duh!" back at you big boy. The chain brake really functions to stop the chain from moving once the trigger/throttle is released, and when it the saw is idling. It will not stall out the saw. The centrifugal clutch can still turn with the brake on, and when you try to run the saw with the brake on, the motor will turn and the clutch drum will heat up fast.

Philbert

Sorry, but, really, "Duh!" back at you big boy. The chain brake really functions to stop the chain from moving once the trigger/throttle is released, and when it the saw is idling. It will not stall out the saw. The centrifugal clutch can still turn with the brake on, and when you try to run the saw with the brake on, the motor will turn and the clutch drum will heat up fast.

Philbert

don't know bout dat, nu uh. If you got the brake on and the thing will spin sumtin wrong wit dat brake. Dat sum ##### designed to stop it all no matter what. If yer brake don't bring the #### to a halt in less that a heartbeat from WOT then its broke... and needs to be fixed....like pronto

Last edited:
don't know bout dat, nu uh. If you got the brake on and the thing will spin sumtin wrong wit dat brake. Dat sum ##### designed to stop it all no matter what. If yer brake don't bring the #### to a halt in less that a heartbeat from WOT then its broke... and needs to be fixed....like pronto

Maybe we need to distinguish between the motor spinning and the chain moving? I can 'gun' the engine without the chain moving.

Philbert

I took the saw to the shop. The cover that I'm talking about is the one that is over the sprockets where the chain meets the motor. The thread in the cover was stripped. Another question is - does it hurt the saw if the motor is gunned with the brake on?

you will burn your clutch out real quick with the brake on and loading the motor up

Back