Chain Brakes for Sissies Struck a Nerve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are there for a good reason, so by all means don't remove or deactivate them. Don't trust them to the point of taking chanses though, as anything mechanical, they can fail.

Having said that, I don't mind cutting with saws without brakes....:)

The first saw I ever worked with was a top handle Homelite without a chain break. I believe it is the only saw I have ever used that didn't have one. I don't like to modify any safety feature on any of my saws. I have seen an old timer using a saw with the chain break taken off back in the early 90's. He is the only one I have ever seen work with a disabled chain break. I have never had one get in the way or bother me when I'm cutting. I like to use it on the rare occasions that I leave my saw running and step up a foot or two to cut another limb as well as when I hand a running saw off to another crew member or vise versa. I've never heard of the chain break being engaged by inertia. I can't remember ever having one kick back and the chain break automatically engage. But then again, I've never had one kick back really bad... Knock on wood...

In my life I have owned more saws without chain brakes than with them. I remember the first time I owned a saw with a hand guard, not a brake, thinking that was great.

I use the brake a lot as I do a lot of clearing and walking through rough ground with the saw running.

So what year was it that chain brakes became mandatory?

Latest posts

Back