Chain cleaner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Selfridge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Twenty plus years ago I used some sort of liqiud to clean chains of pitch and build-up. Now that I am getting back into chainsaws I can not remember what I used. What are you pro's using?
Thanks, Bruce

I agree w/Steve, don't buy something special. Have two chains (at least) and soak the fouled one in gas, or kerosene, overnite. If you have an air compressor blow it out, if not, take a brush to it. Wouldn't hurt to spray it with some 10w before putting it back on your bar. I've got a bar on my 357 that has permanent stain s from cutting Osage Orange or Bodock , as it's known around here. Still thereafter cutting and blocking 4 or 5 oaks.

Sorry Guys, I don't agree with using gasoline or kerosene as cleaner. This is much too dangerous, think about it , using a flamable liquid for cleaning? I clean my chains with Castrol Super Clean. Just spray on, let soak for a couple of minutes and then hose off. Works great, and best of all it is not flamable and bio degradable. If you have sensative skin, you should wear gloves as it can be hard on your skin.
After cleaning, soak it in some light chain oil overnight.

i've used easy off oven cleaner for 25 years. they have a fumeless one now, doesn't work quite as well, but will still take off the toughest burnt on pitch, and won't hurt the chain a bit. i usually lay my loops on a garbage sack, spray it on, fold the sack over the loops, and hose 'em off in the a.m. no scrubbing at all. i also use it on my bars. i have been falling and milling ash for the last couple weeks, and it gums up chain real bad, it will clean them perfectly with minimum effort. try it.

Hi There, I think the best cure for a gumed chain is to run the saw full bore out of the cut for awhile. White ash is the only wood I have seen that will dry out a chain, but others have different findings. A well lubed chain that is sharp is our best defence against even the biggest wood along with a modified powerhead.
Keep the big chips flyin'
Husky Lover
John

chain cleaner

Just wondering if any of you guys have tried brake fluid, it also will unlock a seized piston if let soak long enough;)

Just dont use a wire wheel to clean chains. I tried it 1 time.1st chain ended up having to get 3 fingers stitched up.

Carb cleaner and an overnight bath in bar oil keeps em running smooth for me. Works great on the bolt and chamber of an M-16 too!

Hi fellas,

I don't have too much experience with pitch. I cut some cedars now and then, but no other softwoods. I do cut alot of ash. It leaves a brown tar like substance on the sides of the chain and the area of the bar next to the chain. I've tried brake clean, carb cleaner, and laquer thinner with no results.

I use SIMPLE GREEN mixed with warm water, and a few drops of dish detergent. I soak the chain for a few minutes, and then carefully take an old plastic bottle brush and scrub it a few times on each side, lightly. The bar and saw work pretty much the same, except that you can't soak them.

I give my clean chains an oil bath afterward.

Pinesol

A good soaking in Pinesol solution, then hose off and blow dry works pretty good.

However I've handled thousands of chains and have not ever cleaned very many. Most of them just get sharpened and then run with the pitch still on there.

Latest posts

Back