chain off bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balaban9331

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
was milling a big peice of maple on the weekend with my 090.41" bar.new bar,new chain.after about an hour of cutting,i noticed that the chain at the rim sprocket end was out of line with the bar.the chain was tensioned properly.i noticed that the sprocket had a lot of play in it but i figured it would line itself up with the bar/chain.what gives?also i got alot of bluing on the end of the bar which is a hardnose and i know there was alot of oil.any help would be appreciated as i wouldn't want to damage the bar.

How tight did you have the chain ? I have seen guys that had them way too tight casusing extra friction and heat on the tip.
Bill

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
A hardnose bar is designed for dirty work like cutting stumps. In exchange for the increased friction and heat you get a more durable bar that will better withstand dirty conditions without having to worry about blowing out the sprocket tip bearing.

Milling is extremely hard on chainsaws and cutting systems. The friction and heat buildup is multiplied over normal chainsaw use. Heck, they even sell auxiliary oilers so you can keep a normal bar and chain cool enough to keep cutting.

Sounds like you've chosen the wrong tool for the job. Perhaps you might want to get a bar better suited for milling.

Ditto. Get a QUALITY sprocketnose bar.

hardnose bar

rockyj,they only had a hardnose in 41".the extra oiler sounds like a good idea.
billg,i let the saw turn for a while then i adjusted tension.i don't think i had it too tight,but i'm not certain as this was the first time trying something of that length.that question goes back to my original,why was the sprocket causing the chain to ride to one side?if it was tight i would think it would stay straight.
erik,i hear ya man,but the bar is already mine.too late to return.
thanks,robert

Went through the same business with my 075 and the 30" hardnose bar. Only made about 6" worth of cut, before the chain stuck in the groove right near the tip. I hung the 30" bar in the shed, called Jeff S. and got myself a good 36" 3/8 pitch .063 bar. I recommended him to you once before for the long bars and he can order them pretty long. Over 36" does get kind of expensive, though.

Chris B.

Sure!

Now for some Cuttin' Words...

346XP...

372XP...

394XP...

LMFAO :laugh:

Latest posts

Back