Chain oil, etc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Stihl synthetic (white bottles) for mix and motion lotion, stihl, poulan, or generic from the back woods hardware store for the bar. One Stihl dealer told me that using motor oil will keep my chains 25% cooler but will run out twice as fast (because it's not tacky). Right now I have a gallon bottle abouit 2/3 Stihl and 1/3 Valvoline left over from an oil change. Seems to be working well. I always keep my oilers turned up too so I keep a close eye on the resevoir.

Well, I went out and bought the Husqvrna bar oil and low smoke two stroke just to try it. I;ve used other two storke oilfrom Autozone,Napa, etc. in my blowers and trimmers as well as my Homey. Just thought I'd see what you guys ran. :greenchainsaw:

I use the Stihl synthetic (white bottles) for mix and motion lotion, stihl, poulan, or generic from the back woods hardware store for the bar. One Stihl dealer told me that using motor oil will keep my chains 25% cooler but will run out twice as fast (because it's not tacky). Right now I have a gallon bottle abouit 2/3 Stihl and 1/3 Valvoline left over from an oil change. Seems to be working well. I always keep my oilers turned up too so I keep a close eye on the resevoir.

...motion lotion... ...from the back woods hardware store...

Now, that is a scary thought. I can hear banjo music coming from my computer! :greenchainsaw:

Opti 2 or Stihl HP with Chevron premium and Stihl Bio Plus (cut with used turkey fryer oil).

I am using Poulan Bar oil and Poulan Synthetic 2 stroke oil(Yes I know it is probably semi-synthetic) from wally world. The Poulan Synthetic 2 stroke oil is low to no smoke depending how cold it is, and burns really clean! The Poulan Bar oil is some tacky cr@p! It is like pancake syrup, or kink lube! LOL

:cheers: :givebeer:

Back