Chain Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zr900

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I normally buy my chains in loops because i don't want to mess with making my own as i don't use that many.

My Husqvarna/Dolmar dealer sells Oregon or Husky pre-boxed chain for $1 an inch for the first chain and $.50 cents an inch for the second chain, so $36 bucks for 2 24 inch chains.

I went to the local Stihl dealer and looked at chains and his price is $26 for the first chain and $13 for the second, so $39 for 2 24 inch Stihl chains.

So my question is: Is it worth the extra $3 to go with the Stihl chains?

I'm a stihl guy and like stihl chain anyways I would pay more for stihl chain.But We sell both at the same price here.

I normally buy my chains in loops because i don't want to mess with making my own as i don't use that many.

My Husqvarna/Dolmar dealer sells Oregon or Husky pre-boxed chain for $1 an inch for the first chain and $.50 cents an inch for the second chain, so $36 bucks for 2 24 inch chains.

I went to the local Stihl dealer and looked at chains and his price is $26 for the first chain and $13 for the second, so $39 for 2 24 inch Stihl chains.

So my question is: Is it worth the extra $3 to go with the Stihl chains?

It's only $3. Buy a couple and try it for yourself.

Those prices seem pretty close for Stihl chain off the top of my head, no having my price list in front of me.

Chain Price?

I just bought a loop of Stihl .404 75 DL .063 to go on an old McCulloch 300 with 24" bar I bought. I think the number was 77RM6 or something like that. Of course it was special order and the first two that came in were 70 DL even though the package read 77. One loop was $36 + tax.

I find Stihl chain is the best but It costs me about 3x more than oregon so I usually buy oregon. I buy from baileys by the loop. You can't go wrong.

Last edited:
For 72DL at the local Stihl dealers, it's $25 for the first chain, and $25 for every chain thereafter. Full list price around these parts. Bubble packs only.

There is a Jonsred dealer about 40min away, he'll make chains from Oregon or Carleton bulk rolls, but again, the price remains the same, one chain or many, $18 for Oregon 72DL.

I'm looking for other sources, learning to make my own loops from bulk just adds another skill to my toolbox.:cheers:

I have found that Baileys 30RC chain works great. do you all find the Stihl chain lasts longer, or cuts better?

I did the math and the baileys deal is 15.5cents per drive link. That is cheap. The only way to beat that is buy a roll yourself and make them up. You'll have roughly 13cents a drive link in a chain. I wonder what Baileys pay for a roll themselves? I'll bet they have less than 10cents a DL in a roll. Still not a much profit there.

I have found that Baileys 30RC chain works great. do you all find the Stihl chain lasts longer, or cuts better?

I think stihl RS holds its edge just a little better than Baileys chain. The key word is (little) Maybe 5 or 10% longer cutting time before a touchup is needed. It sure is not enough to offset the fact you can get 2 or 3 loops of Baileys Woodsman pro chain for 1 loop of Stihl chain.

Last edited:
I did the math and the baileys deal is 15.5cents per drive link. That is cheap. The only way to beat that is buy a roll yourself and make them up. You'll have roughly 13cents a drive link in a chain. I wonder what Baileys pay for a roll themselves? I'll bet they have less than 10cents a DL in a roll. Still not a much profit there.

I go with Baileys also, much less expensive.

Oh.. by the way howdy neighbor! Amanda is not far from me, I live in pataskala.

The last time I priced a 93 driver 28" Oregon chain at the local saw shop they wanted $32.55 for it. That's $0.35 a drive link. That's why I buy it by the roll.

Andy

I just ordered some chain from Amick's. They have good prices on chain. 2 loops of 72LGX 66dl for $10.99 and a loop of 91VX 56dl for $9.90. Best thing about Amick's is he will ship up to 5 chains for $4.85 Priority. Beats shipping at Bailey's by a wide margin.

Matt

Latest posts

Back