Chain prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Commercial Cutters

Commercial Cutters (Direct) is a flesh and blood business who also happen to do internet sales of whatever they can. If you walk into the store you will be greeted by a friendly and knowledgeable person who will shoot the breeze or take care of any problem you bring to the door. You will see the full line of Stihl, Husky, and Echo products on display and any of those items are available immediately from inventory barring extremely unusual circumstances. You got a question, call them on the toll free number, 1-800-611-8466, give them a chance to help you out. The internet prices are the the same as the carry out prices so people local to them also benefit if they need something ASAP. I think the way they are doing business is a glimpse into the future. BTW, 20" loops of 72 or 73LG are $9.95, you can`t beat that deal spinning your own unless you buy your bulk chain in the right place and you spin enough to amortize the cost of the tools. Russ

Bill G

I'm not referring to paying unreasonable prices. I mark my chain up about 25%. My problem is with single users wanting to buy wholesale all the time ; how do they expect we servicing dealers to be there for them.

No one likes to be price gouged. I have a little saw with a 10" bar. I have had this saw for 13 years. I went in to a place and got them to make me up a new chain for it. They charged me $15.00 (for a saw with a 10" bar!!!!!) Thats crazy!
I went into another place looking for a 20" bar for another saw. They said it would be $56.00 I got one off a web site for $25.00 plus shipping.

Tony
I would happily buy my chains from a dealer who only worked on a very reasonable 25% mark up. Hell I would happily buy from a shop who worked on a 33% mark up.Unfortunatly where I am in NY that is not case. I cannot buy a 72LG-72 or a 33LG-78 for under $28.00,so I buy off the net or spin my own. The world has gotten smaller and the ways of doing business have changed, the dealer who lives in his own tiny little world catering to his big buyers while sticking it to every walk in customer is not going to survive.Every customer should be treated like gold. The old rule of thumb was:when you win 1 customer over you win 3, lose 1 you lose 10. After 20yrs in retail/wholesale business,this still holds true
Greg

Reasonable vs. Rediculous

I understand how the world has become a smaller place with the internet / phone etc.

I think both the consumer and the seller are changing to meet this new wave of instant commerce.

I think loyalties for both the consumer and the shop owner have diminished over the decades. I know this might offend some of you guys out in the hills but in the city this is very true.

I think a shop that sells saws (unless you are in the middle of a logging town) is going to have to expand to more products or expand and sell on the internet.

Stores like Walmart, Home Deport are there to push product and offer no advice and they are packed with people out here.

When I bid on a job costs of materials and labor are important to determine the cost. Will my clients understand the costs are higher because I pay more for the products I use? Because I have to feed my family. Not in Los Angeles where you go to the street corner and pay an "worker" $40 bucks for a gruelling 8 to 12 hour day.

I think the saw industry has seen its golden years long ago in the USA and it is going the way of the computer.

I spin my own loops and buy mail order.

As far as buying bars cheaper, bar quality has a lot to do with
the price difference. Local dealers on chain expect to double
their money, at least, as with all of the other aftermarket goods.
I sell loops cheap to commercial cutters as they buy a lot of chain
and will shop around, plus if they do business with me, that is
always good advertising, and they will eventually bring their saw
work to me, when they have given up trying to fix it.
People would likely be outraged if they knew the retail price
vs. the dealer price of the bulk of their small engine parts[after
market]. The online suppliers are a little cheaper on the parts
because of their volume, but their profit on any given part is
still high.
$205 for a 100 ft. roll is a price thatis hard to beat, and I
wouldn't even try to beat it.

Having the correct bar sprocket and chain in stock has to be worth something. A man that will not allow me enough profit to keep the door open is no good to me. If your loosing a little on every deal to try to beat others reported prices, your running for nothing, just as well cash out and do something else.

I like to quote Lincoln's sentiments when as young storekeeper he posted a sign to the affect "I cannot be concerned that the man down the street charges less. I must trust that he knows best what his goods and services are worth".

I do realize that selling rolls af chain is very competitive. I sell the loggers rolls made to loops at very little mark-up for the reason Fish stated.

My general opinion changes when someone buys a high service item like a saw off the internet if close to the deal at a local shop.

Not to agrue, but Oregon usually offers 2-3 bars of varying price and quality for any one application, as does GB. So if the part numbers are the same, and the price dramatically different,
then that is one thing. But in capitalistic and Darwinistic terms
the strongest will survive, so if you can find it cheaper, and it truly
is the same product, then have at it. I just got back from Walmart
and Kroger, as I cannot pay higher prices to support my local small-town stores on principle, so I am not advocating anyone
not buying the "same" product more cheaply elsewhere, just
wanted to say Oregon makes a range of bars of varied quality,
using consumer/crap labels vs. commercial/homeowner/farm/
occaisional use, etc.

If my uncle were here he would say this "Jesse James rode a horse and took money. Now he runs a chainsaw dealership."

fish,
Yes i'd say the bar at the dealership was made of solid gold. They were the same just the old gouge olla at the dealer.

I am sure that many of you who work for someone else (not self employed) have NO CLUE to the real cost of doing business. I'm willing to bet that the small business owner make a whole lot less per hour than his customers. The power equipment shop where I hang out is open 6 days a week and we do saw repairs (I do small jobs) on tuesday and wednesday nights until 10:00pm. Take the cost of the building, utilities, advertising, insurance, employee pay, benefits, stock on hand, etc, etc, etc, then factor in the internet "stores" cutting everyones throat, and the box stores and stand there dumbfounded when the dealer won't match the 2 for 1 deal you deal you can get online.....AMAZING! My full time job is in a car dealership, average return on investment for new car sales.....ONE PERCENT! All because the guy down the street will sell below sticker. If Tony tells internet buyers to go scratch I applaud him!

Originally posted by pea
sedanman,
Maybe you could go back to college if you not happy with your job.
Uh-oh. This thread is taking a nasty turn. I don't wanna check back for the answer to this................ :eek:

Oh, I don't mean to offend anyone. I just ask a question about where is a good buy on bulk chain. Didn't mean to make anyone one mad at me. This is a good site with a lot of good people. I enjoy reading here.

I understand pea

Education makes you kind of ignorant cause you forget the golden rules in college.

Especially the last decade where ethics are assessed a value and if it was cost effective to have ethics and morals then have them otherwise do what you can to maximize profits.

Also, people who attend college are more likely to have less children.

It is amazing how college shows how much value is missing.

No wonder this society is great, it is so disposable.

Oh ya I loop my own chains

I feal for the small shop owners and I support my local guy when I can because he gives me good deals and has always been good to me. I could save a few clams mailordering, but I wont mostly because I just plain like the guy. There is more to value than the lowest price IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back