Chain prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one is angry. Post the part number of the bar we are
talking about, or chain loop, and we will see if the price is online
with the others here.
Fish

Nothing personal pea

Just the facts , as subjective and biased as they are.

Grew up in Illinois by Saint Louis Missouri.

I went in the Navy and met the other half on the California shoreline.

Illinois sure is a simpler place than Los Angeles unless it is the fond memories of my youth speaking here.

I have several bars on closeout I bought from GBBAR. BAr prices sure do vary from place to place. The local shops sell them for 2 or more an inch and the chain stores for less than a dollar an inch.

Prices change when you get up over 3 feet.

It's all a balance, you save money you sacrafice service, you CAN'T have it both ways. If you go for the internet route enough and so does your whole town then the service guy is gonna disappear. Go buy online if you feel that's the right thing to do. Does anyone remember having an auto speed-shop in their town? They used to be all over the place then Jegs and Summit and P.A.W. and Mid-west started undercutting them mail-order.....no more speed shops. When I need a saw part or a mower part for that matter, I want to be able to get it today from a human being, call me all the names you want.

You have to sacrifice service for price is the kind of thinking that caused the demise of the local Speed Shops. I know, I was in the autoparts business for 20+ yrs. The specialty shops thought that they could charge anyprice they wanted and if you didnt like it you should buy elsewhere. Well guess what the consumer did. And the world passed over these high and mighty shop owners and now they are gone.
The small equiptment dealer is now seeing this,and if they dont change they will be working for Dominos Pizza as the delivery boy.
The 2002 Oregon dealer cost(spring/summer 2002) for a 72lg-72 is $9.32 with a sugested retail of $15.53. that is a 40% mark up.
I would gladly pay that price.This chain on the net is approx $12.00. Why is it that the local guys all want between $28.00 and $30.00 for this chain
Why does the same dealer want to charge $10.00 for a 3/8" x7 rim when his cost is only $2.44. What grandios service accounts for this added cost. Oh gee he had it in stock,well thats why its worth a fair 40% mark up. 67%-75% is just way out of line.
Wake up, the handwrittings on the wall. If you dont evolve you will be gone.
I ran a successful autoparts store in Hartsdale NY and we worked on a 33-40% mark up on instock items.On special orders I made even less,because I didnt have to stock the item and I got deliveries 3 days a week. I considered the special orders easy quick cash, so I made less. The walk in customer got the same treatment as my wholesale customer. They used catalogs for information but came to me to buy thier parts, because I treated them right, with price and service.
When I left that store the owner went back to the more traditional method of sales.Wholesale customer as god and walk in as money. three yrs later he was bankrupt

I agree with you all

This makes sense to me.
I think people get a little short sighted in stepping on someone to make a point or saving a buck or two.
I am as guilty as the next guy but I try to buy from people who help me pursue my goals and dreams.
The majority of local shops here in Los Angeles exist because someone needs the part now and it will cost much more than to wait a day or even a week.

I worked in the aerospace industry and the military needed a part so they paid our engineers and mechanics thriple time and paid the company twice the normal profits on a part trhat would normally cost a few thousand dollars. This part was very important to them and a local shop with a part in stock is very important if it is gonna cost you a job or a day wage for the crew.

The bottom line for my operation is the "bottom line."
My customers want to pay the least possible, and all my suppliers want to make me pay the most possible. Fuel costs keep going up, and every other year or so the insurance companies get themselves a 5 percent or so raise. My employees expect to get raises. You can only pass so much overhead and increases on to the customer before they too will go somewhere else. It's all about survival. If I can save (for example) $5.00 on a chain, it's worth it in the long run. With 3 bucket truck, 2 chip-truck, and a crane crew going thru (let's say) 5 chains in a week, that adds up to $1300 in the course of a year. That's a Husky 3120XP, 2 months insurance premiums, 3 tune-ups for the trucks, or a month's worth of fuel to me. I'm not in business to keep the saw shop guys going, I'm in the business to keep ME going.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Erik
[email protected]

:blob2:

gatkeper1, You have to sacrifice service for price this is true. What kind of service can you get from your keyboard? Paying TOO much for service is the other end of the spectrum. I know that many parts suppliers use a variable rate to set mark up, where the lower the cost the higher the mark-up, a five cent screw might retail for a quarter while an engine assemly with a 5% markup might be a healthy profit. It takes about the same amount of time to look up the part number and order either the screw or the engine. When the power equipment dealer starts delivering pizzas ALL of our power equipment will be disposeable. No manufacturer will support a parts inventory for the small percentage of users savy enough to perform their own repairs, a few maintenance items maybe but no more than that.

fish,
This is the web site I got the bar from. I think the model # is GB EX20-50SG This is a 20" bar for a 7700 Green Machine Chainsaw. $25.95
If you have time to check it out let me know what you find. You can post it or your welcome to e-mail me. Have a nice day.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/

sedanman i agree mostly. but if it comes to that, a lot o people will go back to the way it was the turn o the century.
somethin breaks u keep workin at it until u can fix it uself. its my bet lots of small engine mechanics got that way because they were good at this.its also why i stay
away from these unadjustable carbs. but if i live long enough to wear out my saws ,im betting i can figure the things out sooner or later.
somehow i got a feelin the s--- is gonna hit the fan as to the world situation in the not to distant future. this could make being able to get by somehow ,a very valuable art. and i do think its almost an art.by the way i hope im wrong.:)

Latest posts

Back