Chain recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swyman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just bought a new Stihl 460. I have looked in Baileys for replacement chain and there are a bunch of different gages in a 3/8 chain. Which one is best for all around use. Do the thicker gages last longer? Is Baileys about the cheapest place to buy quality chains? I want a chain that will rip s#*t up!

I use oregon LGX, .050. That guage is just more common. My local stihl shop will tell you that .063 stuff is better, and thats what they outfit all their new saws with, but im pretty sure they say that because they are the only local dealer with .063 guage chain, and they want you to come back and pay their outrageous chain prices.

For my region, the Stihl MS310 and bigger come with .050 gauge (except the MS880).

If you go with Stihl chain, get the .050 gauge RSC (full chisel). You might be surprised to find that some Stihl shops have good deals: buy one, get second half price; or buy two get third free.

i used to buy Stihl RSC.

then the new Oregon came out and it cuts just as well and as smooth.not to mention i get 5 or more loops for $12 each. everytime i buy Stihl chain it's more expensive than the previous chain.

If you already bought the saw, you should buy whatever gauge is on it now. You can't change gauge without changing your bar and drive sprocket too. Have fun with your new toy!:chainsaw:

Just bought a new Stihl 460. I have looked in Baileys for replacement chain and there are a bunch of different gages in a 3/8 chain. Which one is best for all around use. Do the thicker gages last longer? Is Baileys about the cheapest place to buy quality chains? I want a chain that will rip s#*t up!

Bailys woodland pro SC and RC is good stuff cheap, as long as you are ordering enough stuff to cover the shipping charges in savings.

If you're just looking for a loop or two, hit the Stihl dealer and bend over for the RSC or RM/RMC.

Run whatever gauge your bar is machined for and marked.

For the life of me I see no reason for having three gauge sizes in 3/8 other than for marketing.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Bailys woodland pro SC and RC is good stuff cheap, as long as you are ordering enough stuff to cover the shipping charges in savings.

If you're just looking for a loop or two, hit the Stihl dealer and bend over for the RSC or RM/RMC.

Run whatever gauge your bar is machined for and marked.

For the life of me I see no reason for having three gauge sizes in 3/8 other than for marketing.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

+1 and the lenth of bar would help as well

I think Borepig is on the money; keep it stock. At least until the warranty expires.

The loggers out here talk about diferent types of chains, they have their own dang language.

Full chizzle for sure.

Shop around for sure.

Some chain buzz words I've heard: anti kickback, chipper, cutter, rakes and all types of terms of endearment.

http://www.baileysonline.com/saw-chain-cross-reference-chart.asp This is Baileys chain cross ref.

Stay with .050 gauge and keep your stock bar. You want to match up with

3/8" pitch .050 gauge (Full Chisel) Stihl 33RSC cross ref it to Woodland Pro 30 RC and Oregon 72LGX Full Chisel will Rip S%&&%T up!!

Semi Chisel will stay sharper for longer but not throw chips as fast. This would be a Stihl 33RMC, Woodland 30SC, Oregon 72DG.

I dont have a large amount of chain design and usage experience, but I have cross referenced the crap out of the different styles, (and what the manufacture claims they are used for) The 2 above to me seem to be the most common bang for your buck, and easy maintenance.

You start getting into bar lengths in the mid 20s and up then you start looking at skip chains that have more spacer links between cutters.

Baileys- Woodlandpro chains is the cheapest aftermarket chain supplier I have seen, Oregon about $1 more and Stihl chains could be upwards of $5 or more than WP and Oregons at your local dealer. Then there's always Ebay.....

i run 3/8 .050 on everything but my top handles.

from 16" on the 346xp to 36" on the 395.never wished i had a problem.

I believe you mean 3/8" "PITCH" Your gauge will be either .050, .058,063 or .404. More than likely it is .050 If your not sure look at your bar? just my 2

i cut a couple hundred cords of firewood a year and the absolute best chain i have found is Windsor chisel i use the full comp and skip in .050 and have never had a problem with it outlasts stihl husqvarna oregon and woodsman pro chains by a long shot

I liked Bailey's but I have found that Amicks is a better deal. I use oregon LGX which so far I think is better than woodland pro RC. Or at least I do not seem to have to sharpen it as often. I can also get it a lot cheaper. I ordered 3 LGX chains and the shipping was only 4.95 flat rate. You can not beat that.
http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Oregon_Chainsaw_Chains_s/144.htm

Back