chain sprocket for stihl 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Russell

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The sprocket needs to be replaced or new chain sprocket on my 028. The saw is a early 028AV farm boss(guessing on date I do not know if it early or late model). I have a sprocket #11251602900a stihl part. I think it is for a rim????

Does any one know the type of spur sprocket I need and is it best for me to get a dealer to do it

Stihl mailed a manual for the 028 It gives a special pliers #59108931805 to take the circlip off the chain sprocket. The print or pictures of repairing are so dark I can not make out what they are trying to show.

I am asking for advice on correct sprocket and help on replacing sprocket. (make it as simple as you can. A little dumb on saw repair)

Thanks

its gonna be an .325 sprocket. best go with stihl issue . ive run into trouble with power match[oregon] sprockets on stihls..best buy from a stihl dealer..
if they dont know what sprocket to sell u .. find another dealer as thats probably been the most commonly sold sprocket stihl ever put out.. if it were me,, id switch to rim sprocket..

rim

Switch to the rim as you need to buy the update kit if has a 2 piece spur sprocket. If it does not, just buy the rim setup and install it.
The special plier are nothing more than external ring pliers available at any hardware store.

The "E Clip" can be pryed off with a scrench. The big "external circlip" need requires a pair of external circlip/snapring plier, about 3/32 pin diameter or smaller. see pic

There are sme possible difficulties when doing this job.
Losing the E clip when it flies over to that messy corner of the garage is one.
Removing the plastic cover with the 5 screws is another, because the big washer will hold it on. You have to pry this washer CAREFULLY off first.
see pic

I'll let you know.

That I wish everyone would study how you used a "quality" level on those pics that's entirely suitable enough for use on the 'web.

In case anyone's wondering, it's <b>35</b>.&nbsp; Not near good enough for printing, but that's what email's for.

Thanks, Dave!

Glen

My Friends Are The Best

I am proud to call you my friends I could not have gotten any better help and what to do if it had come from Stihl The pictures that showed me the different parts were perfect. It all was done in a simple and understanding way.Thanks

This is the time of the year we all stop and take a day to give thanks for our Blessings and Honor the ONE thats gives these Blessings.

It is a Blessing to me to have friends like all of the MEMBERS on this web or form.

Happy Thanksgiving

Back