Chain storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdcarter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Okay... thought I would of found some ideas when digging through the forum, but I do not.

How do ya'll store the sharpened chainsaw chains? No sense in getting them all nice and sharp to just throw them in a box with other sharp/hard chains to ding up the edges.

Any one have ideas? For now I have been using the boxes the chains came in.. but that is about to end as the boxes are dying. Zip-locs?

Thanks,
T

Okay... thought I would of found some ideas when digging through the forum, but I do not.

How do ya'll store the sharpened chainsaw chains? No sense in getting them all nice and sharp to just throw them in a box with other sharp/hard chains to ding up the edges.

Any one have ideas? For now I have been using the boxes the chains came in.. but that is about to end as the boxes are dying. Zip-locs?

Thanks,
T

Ziploc storage/freezer bags, then toss them in the bottom of the saw toolbox. I put a piece of paper in each one with the specs on it, on the flip side is the word 'DULL' if it needs sharpening. Just my $.02.

I'm a fan of the "nail on the wall" method. Bit o' WD helps keep things fresh.

Me too. I have loops of chains (and usually spare bars) for 14, 16, 18, 20, 25, 28 and 32-inch setups. So the nails run in a row left to right, with each bar and the chains that run on it on the same nail. Simple 16d framing or finish nails work dandy. :msp_biggrin:

I also have the boxes each chain came in, so when I'm en route to the field and need to bring spares, they go back in the boxes and into my chainsaw bucket.

I'm a fan of the "nail on the wall" method. Bit o' WD helps keep things fresh.

same here thats the way i always done it. i put a some old oil in a bucket where i drain it out of old saws.i just dip it ion there and then put them up on the wall of my shop.and they are good for a couple of years

nail on wall at shop. rolled up with a zipptye in the chain/wedge /wood box. and or leather pouch when mobile.

Chain storage - tupperware!

I use tupperware sandwich "boxes". You can pick them up at the Goodwill store for a buck or so.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned pre-soaking them in oil overnight, heh.

I put them in old cool whip containers, one for sharp and one for dull. Sharp ones are sorted into different containers by type, but dull all go together.

my chains don't sit around long enough to rust . besides theres plenty of oil on them anyway from runnun them when they got dull.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned pre-soaking them in oil overnight, heh.

I do this, too .... but just with brand new ones.

BTW, WD-40 never sees any of my chains unless it's one that is rusty and needs loosening up. WD-40 is more of a solvent, IMHO .... lightweight spray lube will hit 'em before I bag 'em, though ...

I like the sandwich box idea... might have to try that.

It's not the storage at home I have problems with, have that taken care of. It's just getting the spares back out in the field without banging them up and yet still keeping them handy.

Tap ea clear plastic bag to the outside of the container and then I can put n a label of the chain type/size. On the backside have the dull label so I can flip the label.

Good ideas all...

I dont know if you guys in the states can get them, but the small ex army ammo box for 7.62 NATO will take six boxes as they come from the dealer with one on top, the 5.56 boxes will only take four with some odd space left. The 7.62 is the correct width for a standard chain box it's water proof and will take a beating.They are getting hard to find even over here.

In the shop at work, I have the chains and bars all hung from nails, with the chains above the bars. Grab one of each and a powerhead and go!

For carrying extra chains, I have these cool kevlar banker bags that are basically cut-proof. I throw a spare and a scrench in there and hang it from my belt by a carabiner. If I can ever find a good supply of the things, I'll be sure and post something to the effect. Right now I have 3 and that's all I have.

I bought a few yards of oil-cloth and fold the chains into a square of this. They never rust in the oil-cloth. I too put them in zip-lock freezer bags when going out to the woods.

Cant beat the ol' nail-hanger for the shop,,MY SHARP chains go straight to the truck..I installed one-o-them gun rack deals,,like you'd use in the back window of yer truck. Only i installed mine behind the seat, on the back of the cab with some self tapping stainless screws..hung 'em about 8"-10" inches apart. Keeps my chains all nice and neat.

There have been several threads on this. I love A.S., but the 'Search' function s__ks.

Here are a few:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/125133.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/171234.htm

Some of it depends on what you have convenient access to. I like the telescoping boxes that Home Depot/ Tri-link chains come in, but I don't like the chains. Depending upon where you work or what you buy, you might find that you can get similar containers in quantity. Or, if you are not as OCD as I am, you can keep them in containers that do not have to match.

If you go the zip-lock route, be sure and get the 'freezer' bags at a minimum. Better if you can score some heavy-duty ones (4 to 6 mil) from an industrial supplier - the ones used to ship parts. You can also buy the 'disposable' Gladware-type sandwich boxes pretty cheaply at supermarkets, etc.

If you have more than one saw, or different types of chains (different loop lengths, different gauge/pitches, cutter type, etc.) I recommend that you find a way to clearly mark them, so that you can grab the right one when needed, even in poor light condtions.

Philbert

Stirred up this thread searching for ideas. I'd prefer store them in the truck instead of in the shop. In the shop, I like the nail on wall. In the truck, I currently use the disposable ziplock/gladware boxes. Nothing wrong with that, but with too much time on my hands, I am brainstorming different ways to do things, and chain storage is the latest victim.

So, here is what I am thinking, I'm asking to either bo talked out of it, or help me improve the design.

Here is what I am picturing:
*Horizontal storage hanging on the inside of the lid of a truck tool box (standard tool box in the front of the pickup bed).
*On the left side will be a vertical row of pegs. I will make a single block of wood to fit over all of those pegs that is hinged at the bottom and clasps at the top (not sure what I am going to use for the clasp yet). This is to keep the chains from falling off of the pegs when the lid is closed.
*On the right side, I'll have hooks at lengths that fit different chaing lengths. They are hooks instead of nails or pegs, to keep the chains from falling off.

The main advantage will be less tangling of chains. It will also be easier to find the chain I want without digging through boxes.

Does that make sense? Do you think it will work?

Back