Chain stretch newby needs help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a 361 w20"bar or a 260 w/18" bar cutting brush and I can tell you chains do indeed wear quickly at times. Brushing is much harder on chains then cutting wood do to the impact cutting through one piece of brush and hitting the next. Sometimes a .325 chain will last just a few hours before needing a link taken out. I carry Stihl and Oregon repair links in both 3/8 and .325 and a Break and Mend. There is an anvil and punch in the bottom of the tool box too but I like the Granberg product.

3/8 chain is much tougher than .325 and I have never had one wear as quickly as yours did. Non the less it sounds as if you need a link removed. This only takes a couple of minutes per chain with dealer tools and 5 minutes with a punch and anvil.

In your case you have learned something new about your saw and how to maintain it. That's a good thing. I would ask your Stihl dealer to show you the different types of chain for your saw so you can make an informed choice when it comes to buying your next chain. I have a plastic tool box the contains saw repair items, files, etc and I make notes inside the lid. Oregon used to print and maybe still does an excellent pocket guide to their chains. Ask a non-Stihl dealer for one. I would avoid oddball chains that aren't normal stock. It is easier to learn about one or two different chains than an entire catalog worth. Stick to Oregon or Stihl.

As an example I recently purchased .325 .050 narrow kerf chain from Bailey's. I have broken 2 cutters on 2 different chains but no local dealer stocks that chain so the repair is made with non-matching parts. When the current project is done I will throw out these junk chains and return to the Stihl .063 chains hanging in the garage. BTW I bought 4 loops, all destined for the garbage can this week along with the crappy Carlton Timber Champ bars.

Adjust the chain when it has cooled off a fair amount. A chain that has been adjusted tight when hot will apply too much pressure to one side of the seal on the clutch side once it cools off & lead to premature failure. This is from one of Thall's posts.

Latest posts

Back