Chain type for hard, dense timbers ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick, can you get Carlton 3/8 0.050 square ground from your dealer?

if so, what $ for a loop to suit 18inch bar on husky 272?

Serg

Serg, AFAIK, Carlton don't have a square ground chain, at least not here.

If you want to try some Carlton in round chisel, Rooshooter is your man, much better pricing than what I can get. (and the blokes around here only carry semi) I just wanted to back to back this stuff with the Oregon and then buy a roll of whatever I decided on for firewood use.

Probably better getting a loop or two of square ground from Baileys or Amicks and get a few other bits at the same time, but it's a bummer the way the A$ has dropped in the last week.

yes i got a shock when i PAYPALED some stuff this week and our dollar was 9cents less than last week:cry:

i just looked at Carlton's site and i cant see any square ground. i have emailed them to find out.

looks like Oregon 72CL will be my next try.

Serg

and just to add to the thread, here's a pic of some Stihl 33RSC (3/8" x 0.050").
Note the stepped drive links :biggrinbounce2:

Drive link is 0.063"/1.6mm stepped down to 0.050"/1.3mm.

IMGA0328-copy.jpg

Stihl recommend a 5.2mm (13/64") file compared to most other 3/8" chains using a 5.5mm (7/32") file.

Last edited:
For the hard timber, you could always try 1/4" chain, it's 0.050, finding a long bar with 1/4 pitch sprockets to fit is the first problem, the 1/4" stuff is tiny, lots of teeth. compared to 3/8'' in this pic

iuu.jpg

For the hard timber, you could always try 1/4" chain, it's 0.050, finding a long bar with 1/4 pitch sprockets to fit is the first problem, the 1/4" stuff is tiny, lots of teeth. compared to 3/8'' in this pic

Cheers.

A couple of us were discussing trying .325" for the same reason, the 1/4" is just taking it all the way.
Whether a sprocket and bar can be found, and whether it can take the grunt of a higher powered saw is possibly questionable.

Everyone around here just uses semi in Oregon, Stihl or Carlton, or if it's really dirty, Carlton chipper.
I'm not cutting for profit, I only cut for own use so a bit of experimenting and extra chain sharpening is no biggy.

70cc running a 12" bar 1/4 pitch, you wouldn't be worrying about lack of power

Latest posts

Back