Chain type for hard, dense timbers ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how these trees would compare to a Kansas hedgerow. Filled with thorny, super hard Osage Orange trees..... They will dull a chain pretty quickly.
Great firewood, though, for the cold days when hackberry just doesn't produce enough heat.

From these tables http://www.sizes.com/units/janka.htm Osage Orange measures 9.1kN or 2040lbf on the Janka scale when green.

Full USDA Forest Service specs http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/TechSheets/HardwoodNA/pdf_files/maclureng.pdf

Last edited:

Drive links aren't stepped

dlk.jpg

Eucalyptus is impressive!!!

Hello to my friends from "Down Under",

I live in Tucson, Arizona, USA and in this state, we have a variety of trees that are used for firewood. Growing up Northeastern AZ (Pinetop, AZ) my family cut White Oak, Alligator Juniper (description fits perfect) piñon, and Cedar. Great memories of my Father using the 056AV with a 42" bar... that was fun!! Visiting relatives in Sonora, Mexico we would cut Mesquite with an axe- my Dad refused to take any saw south of the border because Greedy, Mexican Federales would "confiscate" it, deeming it as some form of "contrabrand". Love the density and aroma it provides and is outstanding in BTU value and cooking (Bar-B-Que)!! I thought Oak was pretty dense until I moved here to Tucson. I mainly cut Mesquite, and African Sumac, but am always on the lookout for Eucalyptus (Gum??)- I enjoy the aroma and WOW... Great BTU factor and an extremely hard wood to cut. Have found that Silica infused wood (Mesquite included) is brutal on chains....or maybe 'cause I am convinced that my 'lil ms 250 (16" bar) is a professional saw and can tackle 40"+ diameter trees and logs on a consistent basis :drool: :chainsaw:
I think its time for a ms 441 or 460:hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy:

My $.02: I believe the dang .325 Greenie chain works as well as RS chain on Eucalyptus (in regards to a 50cc size saw and smaller).

Uuhhh, this may be a dumb question for my brothers in Australia and New Zealand, but is it okay to cook outdoor with Eucalyptus? I see it as a plentiful supply, much as Mesquite here in the SW United States and African Sumac in South Africa. Any harmful effects due to the Oils it contains?? Thanks for the Reply in advance!!

Regards,
Noel

Just measured up an Oregon and Carlton 0.050" chain and both use stepped drive links and they measure 0.058" at the widest (cutter) part of the link.

Forgot to measure up the 0.063" chain in a mates workshop yesterday, but have to go back into town today so will measure up all the Carlton he has.

Thank you tdi-rick,

"Hell, it's all we have and use"

I know what you mean- Mesquite grows like a dang weed around here, plentiful and when dry, awesome to heat your home and for grilling, well...its awesome.

Considering I have approximately 2 cords of Eucalyptus, I will definitely try grilling with it. Love the heat it produces! :clap: :cheers: :givebeer:

Have a great Day!!

P.S. How has your winter been so far- I believe it is currently winter/spring. Correct?

Regards,
Noel

Just measured up an Oregon and Carlton 0.050" chain and both use stepped drive links and they measure 0.058" at the widest (cutter) part of the link.

Forgot to measure up the 0.063" chain in a mates workshop yesterday, but have to go back into town today so will measure up all the Carlton he has.

good work Rick,

i have heard that Stihl is built on the 0.063 chassis, so im thinking that this will mean the widest part is 0.063 and stepped like the others.

so you still need to measure 0.063 in oregon and calton. All gauges in Stihl.

we are starting to get somewhere.

Serg

<snip>
Have a great Day!!

P.S. How has your winter been so far- I believe it is currently winter/spring. Correct?

Regards,
Noel

G'day Noel, still winter here, and It's been a good ski season further south.
It usually only gets down to -5* to -7*C (22-19F) overnight here, although I don't think it's slipped below -4* this year as we've had very good winter rain, unlike many parts of the state which are still in drought. Max. daytime temps have varied from about 7-14*.

Where Serg lives, they think it's a cold winter if they have to wear long pants. :greenchainsaw:

good work Rick,

i have heard that Stihl is built on the 0.063 chassis, so im thinking that this will mean the widest part is 0.063 and stepped like the others.

so you still need to measure 0.063 in oregon and calton. All gauges in Stihl.

we are starting to get somewhere.

Serg

Carlton 0.058" chain uses a plain (non stepped) drive link. ie. it's 0.058" from the cutter to the drive link.
0.063" is obviously 0.063" all the way.

Carlton 0.058" chain uses a plain (non stepped) drive link. ie. it's 0.058" from the cutter to the drive link.
0.063" is obviously 0.063" all the way.

ok so:

Carlton and oregon:

3/8 0.050 gauge have a stepped drive link that is 0.058 between cutters
3/8 0.058 gauge have non stepped drive link that is 0.058 between cutters.

so both these have the same kerf.

3/8 0.063 have a non step drive link that is 0.063 between cutters, this would make the kerf 0.005 wider than the above chains given the same cutter profile.

it will be interesting to see the results of the Stihl chain.

something else that must come into play with hardwood, (or any wood, but there will be a difference) is the HP of the saw and the raker depth.

Serg

I wanna see a pic of a stepped drivelink before I shout the beers! :popcorn:

Ummm... still tryin' to get my head round these amazing 'stepped' drivelinks. Means the sidelinks don't run on the bar-rails? Or if they do, means there's a sloppy gap between the sidelinks and the drivelinks?

Ummm... still tryin' to get my head round these amazing 'stepped' drivelinks. Means the sidelinks don't run on the bar-rails? Or if they do, means there's a sloppy gap between the sidelinks and the drivelinks?

sorry mate but they are stepped.

just remember we are talking about 0.008 of 1 inch, which is 0.2032mm, in turn only 0.1016mm machined of each side...

the drive link is 0.058 between cutters for both 0.058 gauge and 0.050 gauge, only is the 0.050 machined with a step so it is 0.050 at the lower portion that runs in the bar groove...

i dont see how this would effect the sidelinks and there running on the bar rails.

0.063 is not stepped. so has a 0.005 wider kerf than 0.058 gauge and 0.050 gauge.

remember we are only talking Oregon and Carlton 3/8 pitch chain.

waiting on Stihl stuff to be measured up.

cheers,Serg

Last edited:
Ah well, the steps invisible, .1016mm machined off each side - you'd wonder why the hell they'd bother? :)

Ah well, the steps invisible, .1016mm machined off each side - you'd wonder why the hell they'd bother? :)

Not so invisible, just grab a length of Carlton or Oregon 3/8" x 0.050" gauge chain and have a look. There's a distinct step where they drop down in size on the drive link.

This is a brand new semi-chisel Carlton chain and you can see the transition line just above the stamped A1 on each drive link (and yes, it's smothered in oil)

IMGA0322-copy.jpg

Latest posts

Back