Chain unraveling tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone got any tips on how to unravel a chain after its been in the box and you take it out to use it. Eventually I can get it unraveled but it takes a lot of trial and error, so I am guessing it is taking a lot longer than it should, or at least it is taking longer than I want it to.

Unraveling tips?

What about storage tips, maybe so when I do go to use it the thing wont be so twisted up?

Thanks

twisted chains

Always takes me a while to unravel one. best way I know to store chains is to hang them off a nail or such. Just make sure they are back out of the way in case you run into them.

Easier to show than explain, so I'll have to post a pic tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Basically, if you can get it down to two curly q's, then hook a thumb through each curly q, then pull them apart.

I try to get two of the "winds" or "twists" nearest each other that are twisted opposite and reverse them both at the same time.

I'm running 4 saws, and 6 bar lengths and probably a mix of a dozen type of chains so labeling is important.

Storage -
Cleaned, sharpened, coiled - labeled ziploc bag w/ a light oil coating-problem is they get twisted
dirty - hang and get to cleaned and sharpened
I'm thinking of experimenting with tubes to hang them in. At work I sometimes can get plastic thin-wall tubes which are the cores of plotter paper up to 48" long.

I'm also trying the foam heat wrap that goes around water pipes, this comes with a slit down the middle, is easy to load the chain in, and I'v got several pieces laying around.
attachment.php

This seems to become more and more important as the bar gets longer.

attachment.php

And I know I need to sticker the stack.

I thought about leaving the long (un-coiled) which is fine for home, but I need to coil them up when I take them in my tool box to mill. So then when changing chains I have to fight with it to get it uncoiled. I like putting them in the bad idea, right now I am putting them back in the box they came in, if I can stuff them in there that is.

Your typical snarled milling chain. This had 3 curly q's when it fell out of the box. The goal is to work it down to 2 curly q's.
attachment.php

Mission accomplished !!! Only 2 curly q's. Hook a thumb through each and pull them apart. The slack chain may need to be flopped on one side or the other of the taut chain.
attachment.php

Hope that helps.

Speaking of detangling chain, everyone has given good advise,,,,,,but what about a chain that has been put together backwards,,,ie inside out so that the drive links are on the outside? Just try that one on for size!

We had a real joker who was a riot, was full of stories and practical jokes! He did that to us once. He came in with a couple of chains one day. He took one apart and put it together backwards on purpose and rolled it up. My boss went to untangle it,,,,and looked at it with his jaw on the floor,,,,and the guy almost peed his pants,,,he was laughing so hard! Funny stuff!

Yeah bobt, years back just before dark on Sunday night I realized I'd brought home a 3/4 pitch hydrasaw chain that needed a link took out of it. In the big rush it got put together inside out. Last repair link I had. Thank goodness it had a lot of wear and stretch in it. It gave in and flopped after about a half hour of thrashing!!!!!:cheers:

I put my chains in a tool box, it is handy, only need to fold them in half. My tool box also has little compartments for things like bar nuts, clips, rim sprokets, etc. Plus it keeps the water and snow off of them

Speaking of detangling chain, everyone has given good advise,,,,,,but what about a chain that has been put together backwards,,,ie inside out so that the drive links are on the outside? Just try that one on for size!

I've heard that if a chain is long enough and worn enough it can be turned inside out.

Hi BobL This is the first opportunity I have had to say hello to you. You sure do some nice milling work. Keep it up.

Yes I suppose that a long, sloppy, worn chain may be reversed inside out, but I have never worked on long loops. Around here I my neck of the woods there is hardly a need for a bar longer than 20", so I have no experience in that. Have you seen it done?

BobT

Hi BobL This is the first opportunity I have had to say hello to you. You sure do some nice milling work. Keep it up.
Thanks Bob

Yes I suppose that a long, sloppy, worn chain may be reversed inside out, but I have never worked on long loops. Around here I my neck of the woods there is hardly a need for a bar longer than 20", so I have no experience in that. Have you seen it done?

Nope - never seen it done. I'll be having a go with one of 60" chains when it's on its last legs.

Here's how I store my saw chains. The chains for the 60" bar, I put one end on the screw and wrap the other end around the screw on the other end.

2009-08-21015.jpg

2009-08-21016.jpg

Here's how I store my saw chains. The chains for the 60" bar, I put one end on the screw and wrap the other end around the screw on the other end.
[/IMG]

Nice looking box, easy to make, gets the job done, and keeps things organized. Might have to look into something like that.

Latest posts

Back