Chain won't move because the brakes on....what do you say to him?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just like it say's. I built a nice 028 for a friend, told him to never sell and always bring it to me for repair/service. He brings in the saw to work today and cusses up a storm....Damn chain won't move but the saw runs good. He say's thank god you fixed that POS Homelite at the same time, it saved the day.

I tell him to put it in the truck and I'll take a look at it tonite....brake is on! I know what I'm going to say, but makes me think he doesn't need the Stihl after all.:dizzy:

What do you tell him?

Just like it say's. I built a nice 028 for a friend, told him to never sell and always bring it to me for repair/service. He brings in the saw to work today and cusses up a storm....Damn chain won't move but the saw runs good. He say's thank god you fixed that POS Homelite at the same time, it saved the day.

I tell him to put it in the truck and I'll take a look at it tonite....brake is on! I know what I'm going to say, but makes me think he doesn't need the Stihl after all.:dizzy:

What do you tell him?

It depends on his relationship to you ....

Inside the family: "The saw is toast and needs to be replaced." Then YOU give it a good understanding home. You are stuck with this guy....

Outside the family: "Just a brain fart moment, bro.... Here is what happened ..... " He'll respect you for life and is not 'stuck' to you by default.

Like warped said. Inside the family " The Muffler Bearing is Locked up tight, They don't even make those anymore" and give it a deserving home. A Customer, Well here's the problem, I should have mentioned what that Lever did:laugh:

Tell him you didn't see any problems with it, everything works just like it should. :msp_thumbsup:

Is there anyway you could do a video of him...
when you show him what the REAL problem was???

It would be "priceless" to see his face!!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

If it were me with one of my buddies, I would play it up big time. Really make an outrareous statement. Then when he is all despondent. Start it up, and rev er up. Only then show him the brake. My buddies would do the same to me!!!! Haha!

If not a buddy type, just show him how to use the brake. He should feel stupid enough without the "full montey". Haha!

Bob

I'd be very nervous around someone that doesn't know how to handle a saw....That I gave a saw to. I'd make sure to sit down with him and ask him if he understands the basics of saw operation. Maybe charge him $20.00 and buy a good book for him to read. Then give him the saw back. I would much rather have a friend with a hurt ego then a seriously hurt friend.

I'd be very nervous around someone that doesn't know how to handle a saw....That I gave a saw to. I'd make sure to sit down with him and ask him if he understands the basics of saw operation. Maybe charge him $20.00 and buy a good book for him to read. Then give him the saw back. I would much rather have a friend with a hurt ego then a seriously hurt friend.

I had many a year behind saws before I got the first one with a brake (used). The first time it locked I forgot all about the brake until I had it on the bench trying to figure out the problem. Yes, I felt stupid but the point is if one has run nothing but non-brake saws mind farts can happen the first time it locks.

Harry K

release the brake then turn the chain around and see if he notices when it don't cut give him $50 for it!!!

I had many a year behind saws before I got the first one with a brake (used). The first time it locked I forgot all about the brake until I had it on the bench trying to figure out the problem. Yes, I felt stupid but the point is if one has run nothing but non-brake saws mind farts can happen the first time it locks.

Harry K

Copy that Harry, forgot about the old school saws...I'd still be concerned . I'd still be concerned about someone who didn't ask about something so prominant a part of a new saw. Can't miss that huge paddle on the thing.

Last edited:
Tell him you fixed it and he owes you a carton of beer. While your both drinking the carton tell him, you left the brake on d*^khead but thanks for the beer.

That right there is priceless! He has used saws before, just none with a brake and we work together and hunt too. A case of beer seems in line with the repair, great idea and....we'll laugh our butts off!

It depends. How good a friend is he?

A logger, who sometimes could be very annoying, was once tactful. I did not know about square file chains. I had one on a saw that was handed to me to use. I was cutting dirty wood and it was dull. I filed it, with a round file, and it still wouldn't cut decently.

He was about to explode from holding the laughter in, but patiently explained the difference in chains.

I had to admire him for that.

And yes, I've put a chain on backwards before, but figured it out.:msp_smile: I think everybody has.

I have seen it before aswell. if it was a buddy of mine i would give him crap about it till the cows came home cause thats what friends are for.

I'd subtly reset the brake, show him it runs fine and while turning the saw off to give it back, trip the brake again. Rinse, repeat.

It depends. How good a friend is he?

A logger, who sometimes could be very annoying, was once tactful. I did not know about square file chains. I had one on a saw that was handed to me to use. I was cutting dirty wood and it was dull. I filed it, with a round file, and it still wouldn't cut decently.

He was about to explode from holding the laughter in, but patiently explained the difference in chains.

I had to admire him for that.

And yes, I've put a chain on backwards before, but figured it out.:msp_smile: I think everybody has.

Man you must need coke bottle glasses...lol!!!

Reset the brake, tell him the truth and be nice about it...tell him it could happen to anyone.

Then every time you go anywhere wiht him in the car...EVERY TIME...always set the e-brake and "forget" to turn it off. When your car doesn't move ask him if you cna use his car, yours seems to be broken again.

I had this same thing happen to me out on the woodpile last summer. Work had a timber company come in and turn a woodlot into a field and offered to let all the woodburners cut and take whatever they wanted. One of the guys had his buddy come out to help him get some wood for his camp, dude came all gung-ho, big man with the brand new 20" Echo from HD...cutting in a tank top, cutoffs and sneakers of course...chatted for a minute but I was on my lunch and had little time to waste so I got back to converting logs to rounds and he fired up his saw...few minutes later he flagged me down, in a panic that his new saw was busted and could I take a look. Sure enough, chain brake was on. I clicked it, revved it and handed it back with a smile. He felt foolish enough that he didn't need any help from me.

Outcut that guy easily with my little 42cc Craftsman.

Back