chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschoff

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all I got a chance to use my chain sharpener last night from harbor freight tools and I have to say man it sure beats file sharping.I cut some oak today and it was like having a new chain on my 270. :greenchainsaw:

The bad part of having a sharpener is everyone want you to sharpen their chains too. This after they've been filing them freehand at all kinds of weird angles.

You cant beat that 100 dollar grinder from NT! I dont use mine often, just when a chain gets rocked out or the angles get off, but it sure beats taking em to the saw shop at 10 bucks a pop!

sharpener

I bought a cheap one I think I got it on sale at harbor freight for 49.95. but so far its been great .

You cant beat that 100 dollar grinder from NT! I dont use mine often, just when a chain gets rocked out or the angles get off, but it sure beats taking em to the saw shop at 10 bucks a pop!

Or they take half the tooth, or stretch the chains. Dont know how but one time a long time ago took 6 chains to a shop and everyone came back stretched.

Hi all I got a chance to use my chain sharpener last night from harbor freight tools and I have to say man it sure beats file sharping.I cut some oak today and it was like having a new chain on my 270. :greenchainsaw:

:agree2:
I could not agree more! I have spent so much time free handing my chains with a Dremel tool stone, which is nice, but I didn't have the angle guide!:dizzy: :dizzy:
You can imagine how my angles ended up?:censored:
I hate to tell you, I got the same machine at HF, but I got it on a nice sale...<BR>
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93213<BR>
I would recomend, if you havn't already, to get at least two more disc's, you'll blow one at the worst time! Don't ask!:censored: :confused:

Or they take half the tooth, or stretch the chains. Dont know how but one time a long time ago took 6 chains to a shop and everyone came back stretched.

You didn't notice but, they swapped with you.:censored:
They keep your and gave you there sharpened old, stretched chains!:dizzy:

I have tried em all, the dremel tool thing really didnt work for me. Unless you saw the stone back and forth as you sharpen, the stone wears uneven.
then to make matters worse, as the stone wears down the diameter becomes smaller and you get some weird looking tooth edges, not to mention the tooth profile then becomes something that works against filing by hand.
Nope, finally settled on filing by hand, and taking the chain to the cheapo grinder from NT if the angles get off or it gets rocked out.
Best hundred bucks I have spent in awhile. I reckon there must me at least a dozen posts on this subject, including a post where someone on her figured out a way to make some shims to take the little bit of looseness out the rig.

I have tried em all, the dremel tool thing really didnt work for me. Unless you saw the stone back and forth as you sharpen, the stone wears uneven.
then to make matters worse, as the stone wears down the diameter becomes smaller and you get some weird looking tooth edges, not to mention the tooth profile then becomes something that works against filing by hand.
Nope, finally settled on filing by hand, and taking the chain to the cheapo grinder from NT if the angles get off or it gets rocked out.
Best hundred bucks I have spent in awhile. I reckon there must me at least a dozen posts on this subject, including a post where someone on her figured out a way to make some shims to take the little bit of looseness out the rig.

I had the grinder from Harbor Freight, trashed it for the one from Northern Tool. It is so much more for the money. Got the shims for it and took careful measurements to correct the angles. Just received my 9.26% bonus from work. Now awaiting the arrival of the ABN Cyclone wheel from Bailey's. Can hardly wait.

Back