Sharpening file size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. That will cover all your chain sharpening needs, regardless of your chain type. I'm not so sure about the price of the whole kit compared to the components, but that is everything you will need.

Unless you are sharpening harvester chains on 3/4" pitch chain. I think you can still find some of the very old chainsaws running 1/2" pitch chain, and I don't know what round file those use.
=================================

A lot of folks might recommend a different a file guide, however. There are quite a few variations, and some are easier to use than others. Regardless of the tool you are using, they all require a good understanding of how to sharpen a chain.

3/8” chain 13/64 or 7/32 round file.

You are probably right, but not if it is low-profile 3/8ths. In that case, 5/32nds, and it is in the kit.

You can use the chart that was on Amazon linked page:
1705543870466.png

Those numbers match up to Oregon branded chain sizes. Do a little research, and you can tell which file to use with nearly any chain.

ECHO 400 uses 3/8 ‘low profile’ chain (STIHL calls ‘Picco’). The ECHO chain was probably made by Oregon.

Oregon replacement chains at the hardware store / home center will likely be ‘Sxx’ ( where ‘xx’ is the number of drive links. Such as ‘S57’).

Uses a 5/32” file.

Get a depth gauge tool too. Some work with any pitch chain (most Oregon or STIHL brand ones). Some are pitch specific (Husqvarna brand ones).

Oregon also sells a kit with a file, handle, and file guide. And another with a depth gauge tool and file. These are good ways to start out.

Like these (except 5/32” file and guide).

IMG_4780.jpeg
IMG_4781.jpeg

Philbert

You are probably right, but not if it is low-profile 3/8ths. In that case, 5/32nds, and it is in the kit.

You can use the chart that was on Amazon linked page:
View attachment 1145385

Those numbers match up to Oregon branded chain sizes. Do a little research, and you can tell which file to use with nearly any chain.
My bad, got CS-590 on the brain for some reason.

I use 7/32 for 3/8 and up, 3/16 for 3/8LP and smaller. Get a box of them, they dull quick and you'll hate it the first time you rock a chain and have to fix it with a dull file.

It most likely has 3/8 low profile chain. That will require a 7/32 file.
!!!
That’s what they teach you in ‘ Stihl MasterWrench Certified Technician’ class?!?

C'mon guys! Just use the chart I posted.
Those are generally correct. But, in fairness, some of those numbers are slightly different in the ‘Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual’.

Philbert.

!!!
That’s what they teach you in ‘ Stihl MasterWrench Certified Technician’ class?!?

Those are generally correct. But, in fairness, some of those numbers are slightly different in the ‘Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual’.

Philbert.
I didn't proofread before I sent the message. I just changed it.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Wink GIF

Ok. That works for me.

Hi, how do i know what file size to buy? New to chainsaws and I’m still getting used to all the numbers related to the bar and chain.

Would this be ok? The saw is an Echo CS-400. The manual says it is a 3/8 chain.

https://www.amazon.ca/Oregon-Chainsaw-Field-Sharpening-Kit/dp/B084XV4TGX
Thanks!

If the manual specifies a 3/8" chain, it's referring to the pitch of the chain.

The file size you'll need should be based on the pitch and the gauge of your chain. For a 3/8" pitch chain (a common size on many homeowner saws like the CS-400), you'll need to use a 7/32" (5.5mm) round file for sharpening.

But it can vary a bit. If your saw has a low-profile chain, it might require a smaller file like a 5/32" (4.0mm).

So just to sum things up & hopefully clarify. Your chainsaw has 3/8 LoPro chain... this requires a 5/32 file. You will also require a flat file for the rakers, a raker guage & some sort of file guide would also be highly recommended.
The kit you linked to has everything you need plus a couple of files you wont use unless you get a bigger chainsaw.
The kits philbert suggested (in a 5/32) would be what you could buy to get just the files etc you need & possibly save a few $.
At some point you will need to purchase additional 5/32 files to replace them as they dull & no longer file the cutter effectively.
Be careful not to overtighten the guide on the file as the smaller files can break fairly easily

Lots of good info from previous posts. I did not read all of them but here is some that might already been mentioned about chainsaw chains and bar combo's.

Here is a handy little oregon tool so as to help you ID chainsaw chains to help determine file sizes and ID the chain's pitch, gauge, file sizes, etc.
About $6

Oregon Chainsaw Gauge Chain Bar & Chain Measuring Tool 556418

You have to be careful when mentioning that a chain is a 3/8 pitch.

Their is a regular 3/8 pitch chain which usually takes a 7/32 file because the teeth are larger and a 3/8 Low Pro (LP) which is also termed Picco and usually requires a 5/32 file because the teeth are small.

The drive tangs on the 3/8 LP or Picco are shaped different than a regular 3/8 chain and require a different sprocket and bar.

A chain does not run/operate smooth when installed on wrong pitch sprocket or roller tipped bar. Also not a good thing to install a good chain onto a worn sprocket because the sprocket can ruin a good chain fast.
A good rule of thumb on any chain bar sprocket combo is if the chain does not feel smooth when manually moving the chain around the bar you need to investigate why BEFORE placing the saw into operation.

You will also get some experience with the Low Kickback type chains vs regular chains.

Also: If you sharpen a chain and it does not cut correctly afterwards doe not just go back and do the same thing again expecting different results. You are doing something WRONG.

I have the
Hi, how do i know what file size to buy? New to chainsaws and I’m still getting used to all the numbers related to the bar and chain.

Would this be ok? The saw is an Echo CS-400. The manual says it is a 3/8 chain.

https://www.amazon.ca/Oregon-Chainsaw-Field-Sharpening-Kit/dp/B084XV4TGX
Thanks!
I have that set but I prefer the Stihl "2 in 1" system. It's a lot more expensive and you will need one for every chain pitch but I get way better results with this tool. You can get them for $45USD on Amazon but I have seen them a little cheaper in local hardware stores. Amazon also sells Chinese knockoffs for considerably less.
As stated above, your saw uses 3/8LP chain, which Stihl calls 3/8 Picco. The P/N is 5605-750-4303
edit: Oh, and the tool dresses the depth gauge at the same time. It's not just more accurate, it's twice as fast.

Attachments

• OIP.jpg
    OIP.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1
Would this be ok?

The kit you linked to has everything you need plus a couple of files you wont use unless you get a bigger chainsaw.
Sorry, I did not see the link in the original post (they are usually highlighted).

* I do not like that kit *, and it is embarrassing that Oregon sells it. The kits I posted (but in the correct, 5/32” size) are better.

The specified file is supposed to be held so that 1/5 of its diameter is above the cutter top plate, to obtain the correct top plate bevel edge. This is hard to do consistently.

IMG_2843.jpeg

The file holder positions the file correctly, but you need a different file holder for each diameter file. This kit ‘dumbs it down’, to complete with kits sold by some other companies.

They assume that the purchaser not know any better or does not care.

BTW, this illustration shows the proper positioning of that file holder. It should only be held level (at 90° to top plate), and not with a 10° ‘down angle’.

Philbert

Attachments

• Basic File Gauge Position.png
    Basic File Gauge Position.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
Back