Chaining a Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spliceable cordage is not all that expensive compared to heavy gage chain. I know guys using rated domestic hollow braid as an alternative to Cobra.

The difference is that the rope is more tree friendly, and does a better job in heavy winds, when properly installed.

On second look, your installation is too low for the change in in bend that the chain will force on the tree stem. I have seen trees snap off over cabling that is less the 2/3 up the stem.

My findings are that the squirrels leave synthetic rope alone, I've seen a few dozen. I was concerned at first too.

Even if you loosen the chain at given intervals (say, every 2-3 years), the repetetive loosening and tightening of the chain around each branch and friction from the chain will eventually wear through the bark and into the cambium layer of the tree. I've seen it plenty of times - just like a rope and hose used to stake a tree that gets left on over time - it slowly wears away at the tree.

From a strenth perspective, you might think, 'great, that's more holding power'. However, from a biological viewpoint, the chain will begin to choke the cambium layer causing nutritional deficiencies and structural weak points.

The question at hand is 'what serves the customer better'? - doing the job right in order to best preserve the health and lifespan of the tree or saving a few bucks because we or the customer wants to do so? What about topping trees, pruning during inappropriate times of the year, fertilization, etc, etc. Where do ethics start to mean something in this industry?

Do we do what's right or knowingly do what could be harmful just to save or make a few bucks? I can guarantee that, if that chain ever failed for any reason whatsoever and the tree hits a structure or person, you would have a very difficult time defending yourself in court against what are considered 'acceptable vs unacceptable' rigging methods by ISA standards. Do whatever you like but, it's something to think about from a liability viewpoint. I sure wouldn't advise it.

Last edited:
Spliceable cordage is not all that expensive compared to heavy gage chain. I know guys using rated domestic hollow braid as an alternative to Cobra.

The difference is that the rope is more tree friendly, and does a better job in heavy winds, when properly installed.

On second look, your installation is too low for the change in in bend that the chain will force on the tree stem. I have seen trees snap off over cabling that is less the 2/3 up the stem.

My findings are that the squirrels leave synthetic rope alone, I've seen a few dozen. I was concerned at first too.

That is amazing. If I get back down to coatsville anytime soon I will try to get a picture of the nest they made out of it.
Once again you are right about the placement of the chain but what can you do? I would have put 2 in it, maybe with a little more slack and a cabium protector.
Nails is one hell of a experimenter and you can tell he tries. It looks as good as most steel cable jobs.

Last edited:
Arborist liability on cabling?

Suppose an arborist installed dynamic cabling and the tree failed for some reason later on, is there a case of liability for any reason on the arborist's part?

If you wouldn't do it than don't.

As far as being the poor man's alternative, it's about saving the client money. We haven't had one yet that didn't like it, or call back to with a problem.

Sherill is in the sales business, they obviously want to sell you their new system not a poor man's log chain that you can buy at the hardware store.

Up here in the sticks, most clients aren't impressed with the newest, latest, most expensive solution to their problem.

Demographics are the dictator, how true.

Suppose an arborist installed dynamic cabling and the tree failed for some reason later on, is there a case of liability for any reason on the arborist's part?

When I cable tree that has potention for greatness( I mean disaster) I tell the people " its a band aid, don't call me when you are dead". Who am I to harness mother nature in that capacity, short of cutting it down.
Now if I get paid to cable , sure, I am going to do it by the book. Still, I am not liable and it will state that in the proposal.
When I first saw a cable being installed the limbs were drawn together tight with a come along and the wire was tuned to high E sharp. Not a good sound whether you are a musician or not. The was in the early to mid nineties in a area of educated tree guys like McFarland, Giroud, Davey and the smaller companies they produced. These guys were not about to toss a chain in a tree for any reason and now have a huge list of clients who have thier cabling system maintained- for which great expense incurrs. (incurrs?)
Some of those trees still stand, some have fallen. Some of the cable systems remain sound, some have been chewed by vermin, rusted apart or have ripped out.
I like the idea of dynamic, makes good sense, makes better sense. And capturing the limbs in a loop sounds secure. Still, it is a band aid with no guarantee, at least from me. If one can afford the upkeep: do it. I will just install a loose cable for the sake of ease. Ever seen raccon crap with green fibers.

This thread makes should be saved and brought up the next time someone ask's 'why can't arborist all get together and follow the same set of standards like plumbers and electricians?' :dizzy: And for anyone wondering why most tree people get no respect.

When I cable tree that has potention for greatness( I mean disaster) I tell the people " its a band aid, don't call me when you are dead". Who am I to harness mother nature in that capacity, short of cutting it down.
Now if I get paid to cable , sure, I am going to do it by the book. Still, I am not liable and it will state that in the proposal.
When I first saw a cable being installed the limbs were drawn together tight with a come along and the wire was tuned to high E sharp. Not a good sound whether you are a musician or not. The was in the early to mid nineties in a area of educated tree guys like McFarland, Giroud, Davey and the smaller companies they produced. These guys were not about to toss a chain in a tree for any reason and now have a huge list of clients who have thier cabling system maintained- for which great expense incurrs. (incurrs?)
Some of those trees still stand, some have fallen. Some of the cable systems remain sound, some have been chewed by vermin, rusted apart or have ripped out.
I like the idea of dynamic, makes good sense, makes better sense. And capturing the limbs in a loop sounds secure. Still, it is a band aid with no guarantee, at least from me. If one can afford the upkeep: do it. I will just install a loose cable for the sake of ease. Ever seen raccon crap with green fibers.
DAN, THANKS FOR THE INFO AND ALL. CYA

Latest posts

Back