Chains sharpening poll?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you count strokes when filing?

• Total voters
I do, except on cutters with "special problems" (damage).

I mostly file before they really get dull, and usually 2 strokes is enough!

The clue is to really file the edge, and not just file into the gullet, and look closely at what you are doing.

Last edited:
Screw counting a bunch of strokes!!!

I sharpen the cutter until it is sharp, then go to the next one!
I think any culturally diverse chain should have long cutters and short cutters.
My chains usually have a way of catching up with themselves before they get completely worn out anyway.

Mike

I count but tend to file the obviously larger teeth down to the same size as the others...otherwise I get a "choppy" feel in the wood. I usually file until the top edge is smooth and straight...as a rule, all the teeth need the same amount of filing, so the number of strokes is the same to reach that perfect edge.

Yeah I usually do 3 strokes every fill up or so.

This is what I do. I usually go through 5 or 6 tanks and put on a fresh chain. This might be overkill, but my Stihl dealer just bought some $20k chain sharpening machine that gets them sharper than new for only $6. I rarely use more than 2 chains in any one weekend so this isn't a very expense or inconvenient for me.

I always count, normally 3 strokes per tooth unless I hit something that I should not have, then I do it by feel. I touch my chains up at every fill-up unless I am milling, then I sharpen when my cut time starts to increase just a little.

1 2 3 4...I count them until my mind wanders, then I just go by feel. Usually on bars under 25" I can keep counting until it's done.

How often do you guys do the rakers? What is the best way and how often should the rakers be done? Is there a gage to use? I always use a flat file to do this..usually after two or three sharpenings. Is this correct or should I be doing something differntly?:deadhorse:

How often do you guys do the rakers? What is the best way and how often should the rakers be done? Is there a gage to use? I always use a flat file to do this..usually after two or three sharpenings. Is this correct or should I be doing something differntly?:deadhorse:

Learn to read your chips.
They will tell you what you need to do.
Many here like the Carlton "File-o-Plate".
I have an Oregon raker guide but don't really use it except for reference.

Mike

I never count the strokes I do. I sharpen the teeth to they look sharp. I try to keep them all the same length. My saws dont cut circles.

I do, except on cutters with "special problems" (damage).

I mostly file before they really get dull, and usually 2 strokes is enough!

The clue is to really file the edge, and not just file into the gullet, and look closely at what you are doing.

Screw counting a bunch of strokes!!!

I sharpen the cutter until it is sharp, then go to the next one!
I think any culturally diverse chain should have long cutters and short cutters.
My chains usually have a way of catching up with themselves before they get completely worn out anyway.

Mike

:agree2:

The above is what I do. If you just count, there may be teath that don't get a sharp edge. AND .....I feel the tooth to see if it's sharp as well as look at it.

Then I hit them on a friends grinder. Thanks JD (Grandpatractor)!

You guys filing the "rakers"? What do the rakers rake? :hmm3grin2orange:

Count

Must be the inherent OCD with me, too. I count by fours with EVERYTHING, why should a chain be any different? I like sitting on the stump and running the file every couple of tanks - it's a good reminder to let the saw cool a bit, drink some water, and take a load off the feet. That and for some reason the saw cuts better afterward....

I'll raise the bet here and ask - does anyone else count file strokes AND number of chain links?

I file each tooth until its sharp. You can't do that if you decide at the being of the day you are only going to use 3 strokes today and then maybe 2 tomorrow, and 4 the day after???

Just use the least amount of strokes to make each tooth sharp and don't wait until the chain is completely screwed before you start sharpening.

Thats what I do,

Sam

I tried counting but I tend to forget about that as soon as I come to a cutter that needs extra attention so I just stopped completely. I cut a lot of dirty wood and stumps and the like so chainwear is high and sometimes a few of the cutters look more messed up than the rest. So I just file until they're all good.

Last edited:
HA! I must have supreme OCD. Not only do I count the strokes, but I also count the cutters so I know when I'm done. 1,2,3,4--2,2,3,4--3,2,3,4. Must be my music background.

Lets see, in the dirty and gritty junk I normally cut. With full chisel chains,(what I have left) I touch up my chain every fill up 1 or 2 strokes. With semi-chisel chain, I might touch up 1 or 2 strokes if I start getting a bit of wood dust when cutting. Last week I was stumping blue spruce, nasty stuff! Makes the other pine that I cut seem nice and clean!

My .02

Mike

HA! I must have supreme OCD. Not only do I count the strokes, but I also count the cutters so I know when I'm done. 1,2,3,4--2,2,3,4--3,2,3,4. Must be my music background.

I try to do the same thing; 72 DL chain has 36 cutters, 18 per side. easy to do after awhile

Latest posts

Back