Chainsaw as weed whacker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GoRving

Some "Yankees" bought some property in the neighborhood recently, and my wife rode by there and saw the woman on a JD riding lawnmower trying to cut the tall grass. Her husband was out in the field with a CHAINSAW, using it to cut the taller weeds. Wish she had gotten a video of that......:)

I have run into sections of tall grass on vegetation management projects where I cut the grass with a chainsaw. Using a swinging motion and getting on and off the throttle works OK but not like a weed whacker. And don't try to cut too close to the ground. The saw is a mess at the end of the day but the job was finished.

cutting small diameter stuff with a saw frequently leads to them throwing the chain. That's hard on the chain, the bar, the saw and perhaps the operator although I've never had a thrown chain hit me. Use the right tool of the job. A bush hog on a tractor sounds ideal...

Some "Yankees" bought some property in the neighborhood recently, and my wife rode by there and saw the woman on a JD riding lawnmower trying to cut the tall grass. Her husband was out in the field with a CHAINSAW, using it to cut the taller weeds. Wish she had gotten a video of that......:)

Seems like they are first time home/property owners that are trying to figure things out.

You could stop by and see if they need a hand with things.

You use what you got. Chainsaw works pretty good on thick grass.

Mr. HE:cool:

Probably too high for the mower to cut, so he was knockin it down some. Maybe didn't have a weedeater. You do what you gotta do. personally I would offered to brushcut it for him since he is new and possibly make a new friend.
I never saw him, and they have left to go back wherever. No house on the property. And I don't have much free time. :)

A small chainsaw works like a charm for fighting tough weeds, heavy grass, bittersweet, wild rose, honeysuckle vines. Load up a dead old chain with small/missing teeth, that way when you hit a rock, dirt, fence post not much to lose. A loose chain will pick up small sticks and jump the bar, so leave no slack. in open patches swing bar side to side, and the nose lets you get in tight spots. Saw will be a damp slimy clogged up mess when done, ready for the air hose.
MA Yankee

I saw a similar incident on a very hot day at the edge of a small town. I slowed down because of a couple of pick-ups and trailer on the side of the street of the front yard of what appeared to be an abandoned house.
As I passed, there, under a large shade tree, leaned two very able bodied men in their work cloths, talking. Glancing at the trailer, I didn't see any tractors or equipment on the ground. Suddenly, coming up from the other side of the house, in waist high grass, was this big riding lawnmower, and a very nicely dressed little grey haired woman who looked like she just came out of the Beauty Shop, driving it. What ?o_O

Why is it got to be some Yankees??

Cut tall grass with a saw all the time, just use the top of the bar and she's good. Use the bottom and it get's bound up fast. Do what ya gotta do to get r' done.

Before I got some better hedge trimmers, I would do the hedges with a 32cc chainsaw.
Privet would sometimes want to bind up the chain and cover.
Now I have a couple double action bigger hedge trimmers and there's no problem.

I don't do very much multiflora rose with a chainsaw. Only If there are some where I'm working.
If I'm going to do a lot of them, I have a weed eater with a saw blade I use.
The saw blade is pretty good on cat tails too.

Latest posts

Back