Chainsaw as weed whacker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It Works I tell you

8y9aha6u.jpg

eze5ute4.jpg

Holy Bushes were as big as a F250; not anymore.

They have been MS660 w/36" bared

I will ask them when I ever see them. I'd kind of like to know myself. :)

Well I thought that term was used kinda derogatory in your post like you dont like Yankee's.

I was thinking of bidding on that saw you have on ebay right now, but I don't think I will. I wouldn't want to offend you by sending you any dirty Yankee money.. :ices_rofl:

caring about your (new) neighbors?
I've just figured that any newcomers to the neighborhood
are likely to acquire some new habits from someone.

...may as well be some of mine!

Some "Yankees" bought some property in the neighborhood recently, and my wife rode by there and saw the woman on a JD riding lawnmower trying to cut the tall grass. Her husband was out in the field with a CHAINSAW, using it to cut the taller weeds. Wish she had gotten a video of that......:)

I guess that's better than cutting firewood with a weed-wacker.:laugh:

Well, I guess you all forgot that a company in Indiana made a line trimmer add-on designed for a McCulloch Mini-Mac 10 and a few other small chain saws about 36 years ago and sold thousands of them for about $100 apiece. You removed the bar and chain and replaced it with the line trimmer assembly that bolted right on. Driven by a short 3/8" chain, they worked surprisingly well.

Eventually gas-powered line trimmers were made available for about the same price and they included the engine. That doomed the add-on.

Well, I guess you all forgot that a company in Indiana made a line trimmer add-on designed for a McCulloch Mini-Mac 10 and a few other small chain saws about 36 years ago and sold thousands of them for about $100 apiece. You removed the bar and chain and replaced it with the line trimmer assembly that bolted right on. Driven by a short 3/8" chain, they worked surprisingly well.

Eventually gas-powered line trimmers were made available for about the same price and they included the engine. That doomed the add-on.

What was the company name for the one you speak of?

I have a new one from Poulan...

DSCF0313 (Custom).JPG

What was the company name for the one you speak of? I have a new one from Poulan...

View attachment 353036
I can't recall the name because it's been so long since I had it on board. It eventually fell apart, but I did recall it being made in Indiana--probably the circle city. A saw dealer back then told me that it was not a good match because the saw's engine ran too fast. Many line trimmers are governed about 3,000 to 4,000 RPM slower than a chain saw engine, so he may have had a point.

The self-feeder never did work. You had to manually add more line as you went along. However, I must admit that with the chain saw engine it had power galore--about the same as a Stihl FS40.

I've used my Barbie Saw to clear areas around blowdown and trees I'm working on. Keep the chain sharp and you won't throw the chain. I use skip chain on blackberry vines and nettles and foxglove. Maybe square file chain would cut those quicker?

Sagetown, don't be so sexist. Perhaps the woman who stepped out of the beauty shop is the best lawnmower operator of the bunch! Some of us little ol' yanqui wimmins can even drive a car!:eek:

Some "Yankees" bought some property in the neighborhood recently, and my wife rode by there and saw the woman on a JD riding lawnmower trying to cut the tall grass. Her husband was out in the field with a CHAINSAW, using it to cut the taller weeds. Wish she had gotten a video of that......:)

In Kentucky, the concept and tradition of "Southern Hospitality" and neighborliness would have required us to go by, introduce ourselves and offer to use our correct equipment to help out.
It's just the way we do things here.

Mike

I had a friend with a Poulan saw that the oil pump quit working. Took the saw apart and long grass had wrapped around the crankshaft and melted the nylon oil pump cover. The pump shaft "froze" in the melted nylon and the next time the saw was started the gear was stripped and no more pumping. Internet and 10 dollars later saw was back working!

Ray

Latest posts

Back