chainsaw babysteps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am from east Europe (Romania) and I am an PhD student;
I have a house in a village (around 3300 m2); Recently I got a chainsaw (a no name one)and I am thinking about starting to work with it on my trees. I would like to know more about working with the chainsaw, everything related to it actually, www, pisc, chainsaw related tips and tricks, tools of the trade, etc.
I don`t know if in my country there are true arborists but if I`ll do well, maybe start one myself. :) also hunting for a better chainsaw. must be professional and powerful yet light and easy to work with.
Good luck to you all and thanks.

derwoodii already have been a great help. thanks man.

Hello;

I am pretty green compared to the guys around here but do have some tips for you.

#1: Don't put off sharpening the chain. A dull chain will cause you to try and force the saw into the wood and cause a lot of extra work. The extra force you will try and exert on the saw could actually cause an accident. Saw dust isn't really dust. Its little flakes. If it actually looks like dust then the chain is way to dull.

#2 Keep your area clear. Tripping while cutting is a giant source of saw related accidents.

#3 Keep both hands on the saw handles at all times. Even if you have a top handle saw. Most people will use a top handle saw with one hand but not when they are new to it.

#4 don't forget the oil. Both for the bar and in the gas. Sounds simple but people forget all the time. A short time running a saw when you forgot to oil your gas and the saw is ruined.

#5 keep the saw clean to make it last longer and use a stabilizer in your gas if you think you won't be using the saw for a number of months at a time.

#5a take the blade brake off before you use the saw.

#6 The moment your 100% certain you always know what your doing you'll probably find out that you don't because accidents always happen.

I know these things sound pretty elementary and might not seem worth mentioning but I can't tell you how many people I've seen who didn't follow the simple rules. I helped a man out who didn't even know his saw took bar oil and a friend of a friend couldn't figure out why his saw wouldn't work and it was because the brake was on. My neighbor cut his knuckles on his chain because his chain was so dull and he was pressing so hard the handle broke.

None of these were stupid people. They were just doing stupid things

make sure chain is sharp. learn how to sharpen chain and take down rakers. use fresh gas only. If storing saw for extended periods of time drain gas out and let saw run out of gas. Gas goes bad over time which can ruin the saw. I label my gas cans with a date which I recommend you do. Wear safety chaps, ear protection, and boots, gloves, forest helmet. also eye protection. Learn how to service the saw (replace gas lines, filters, spark plug). read owners manual. Start with small tree takedowns then move up when you get more experience. Keep chain out of dirt- will dull it quick. Once you see no more big chips coming off chain when cutting time to sharpen. keep extra chain on hand. Have wedges and axe on hand when felling and use them!

stihl MS 361, 362, 440, 441, 460 for a pro saw.

I have a 361- great do it all saw.

I had a 460- beast of a saw. extremely reliable, ton of power and torque, will take down the big stuff easily and quickly.

If you need BIG 660 is a good choice. I sold my 460 for a 066, 066 will do it all.

Most of the time the homeowner does not need bigger than a 361/460.

I would look at 361, 362, 440, 441, 460 and see which one you like the best. Dont be embarrassed to go to a stihl dealer and talk to them either. they are good knowledgeable people. they will steer you in right direction.

ANything else feel free to shoot me a PM.

take care.

Hello;

I am pretty green compared to the guys around here but do have some tips for you.

#1: Don't put off sharpening the chain. A dull chain will cause you to try and force the saw into the wood and cause a lot of extra work. The extra force you will try and exert on the saw could actually cause an accident. Saw dust isn't really dust. Its little flakes. If it actually looks like dust then the chain is way to dull.

#2 Keep your area clear. Tripping while cutting is a giant source of saw related accidents.

#3 Keep both hands on the saw handles at all times. Even if you have a top handle saw. Most people will use a top handle saw with one hand but not when they are new to it.

#4 don't forget the oil. Both for the bar and in the gas. Sounds simple but people forget all the time. A short time running a saw when you forgot to oil your gas and the saw is ruined.

#5 keep the saw clean to make it last longer and use a stabilizer in your gas if you think you won't be using the saw for a number of months at a time.

#5a take the blade brake off before you use the saw.

#6 The moment your 100% certain you always know what your doing you'll probably find out that you don't because accidents always happen.

I know these things sound pretty elementary and might not seem worth mentioning but I can't tell you how many people I've seen who didn't follow the simple rules. I helped a man out who didn't even know his saw took bar oil and a friend of a friend couldn't figure out why his saw wouldn't work and it was because the brake was on. My neighbor cut his knuckles on his chain because his chain was so dull and he was pressing so hard the handle broke.

None of these were stupid people. They were just doing stupid things

very good points.

thank you guys, a lot of help. i would never have associated the size of the cips with sharpening time...
I am also verry green, I only cut old trees so I can put new ones. I have in plan to build myself a Juglans regia (nut tree) forest along with quercus, fagus, acer, fraxinus, aesculus hippocastanum, coryllus avellana but also some fruit tree.
from time to time, every 2-3 years, I will also buy 10-12 m3 of firewood and it also needs to be cut fireplace bite size.
overall, the cost with cutting is 5 % the price of a new MS 441 chainsaw alone;
I also plan to rebuild the cottage and a saw will come in handy.
there are my reasons but I must say it feels damn good to harvest the saw`s power and use it to your own convenience...
boy am I glad I have found this forum....

saw wise... my top choice for now is MS 441
what I have....I am ashamed....but it is working and if I break it...oh well, at least it`s not my new 441

http://sunflytools.en.made-in-china...C-Petrol-Chain-Saw-Gas-Chain-Saw-M-CS52-.html

cheers

Last edited:
SAFETY EQUIPMENT!!!

All the notes above are good, but don't get caught without the proper safety equipment, either

The most important piece of safety equipment is your head, so you may as well protect it from falling debris. Get a decent hard hat, safety glasses and ear muffs.

Get some good safety chaps so you won't have to whittle yourself a new leg somewhere along the way, and keep some good leather gloves around.

Pro-grade saws are nice. Before you decide you "need" a 441, though, figure out what you'll be doing with the saw. Will the extra weight of the 441 be worth it if you can do what you need to comfortably with a 260 or 362? Also, check out other brands, if they're available. No reason to sell yourself on one brand if another has better service close by, so long as you stay with the popular brands (Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Dolmar, etc).

Happy cutting!

Keep running that China saw and learning, while reading and asking the gang here. Wear that thing out. LOL!!
Your dream saw will come along, and ya wont beat it up making mistakes with it.;)

WV made a very good point and that is safety gear.

Chaps, good boots, some sort of helmet and ear/eye protection.

Ugly stuff happens, and things are always less ugly if you're wearing the proper gear.;)

Good ta have ya posting here and joining in!!!!:cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

actually Jonsered here is very cheap. For me it is unknown though....is it good?
true is that I only found it in Metro or Baumax. no dealers; and only one model.
now, when the time comes, meaning that I have learned my way around it and the budget allows me, I wouldn`t mind go an extra mile. even if my needs are limited, I will enjoy a powerful tool that does the job easy. and if it is ok, I am thinking it`ll last a lifetime. Husky is ok too but Stihl appeals to me in a way I can`t explain...

LOL
Rimania is in Europe (member of the European Union), between Hungary and ex Russian countries, near Black sea and Danube; In the middle of the country there are the Carpathians with the Castles and ...Dracula. It is a beautiful country with every type of geography (except deserts).
Lots of forests, mainly Oak,beech, ash, birch, fir, pine and spruce.
i think this is mostly it.
I am not a logger, I am an PhD student, an plant geneticist working in research.

my interest is derived from am old passion of mine connected to outdoor activities.
I live in a city; situated in the west extremity of the country. 50 km away I have a house; in a semi deserted village near an oak forest. on the hills next to my garden there is a huge corylus avellana plantation.
so there is quite some wilderness and in my 3300 sq meters I want to create a small but beautiful forest of my own. my forefathers have long planted there plum trees, to make alcohol and now they are old; therefore I need to cut them and make way for my heaven.
I will tell you more but I must get up to date to your posts in order not to repeat myself.
I go there not very often for I am busy at the University.
the house is empty, except for a friend who has there around 150 families of bees. I gave him one room but he uses it once a month or so.
there you have it
I am not a logger and I do not cut trees out of profession
I appologize ig I have given you that impression. I just have a hobby and now ....a chainsaw... LOL

cheers
maybe this weekend....

get used to cutting on the ground before you try felling. It takes a while to get used to the way that a saw feels, runs and cuts. Especially important is getting a bit of sense about pinch points which is the way that the wood will close depending on how it is resting. Sometimes you need to cut from below, sometimes from above. Getting a feel for when the wood is closing up and starting to grab the saw gives you a big head start when you get into felling.

Shaun

Some one mentioned saftey gear. which is very very important. Eye protection seems obvious to most everyone but don't forget the ears. You would be shocked at how your ears can ring after a few hours of cutting. Try ear plugs. They are very effective and actually reduce noise better than muffs.

But what I really wanted to post is...

Romania, I just caught that. I understand that romania used to be part of Transylvania (a long long time ago.) Do you still have vampires there or have they all been exterminated?:) Are there still a lot of spooky castles there?

actually Jonsered here is very cheap. For me it is unknown though....is it good?
true is that I only found it in Metro or Baumax. no dealers; and only one model.
now, when the time comes, meaning that I have learned my way around it and the budget allows me, I wouldn`t mind go an extra mile. even if my needs are limited, I will enjoy a powerful tool that does the job easy. and if it is ok, I am thinking it`ll last a lifetime. Husky is ok too but Stihl appeals to me in a way I can`t explain...

Dont be scared of them Stihls. I have 4 of them now ranging from 30cc to 100cc and all of them just keep friggin goin. Im not real sure i will ever actually get one to wear out.

Get a Stihl if that is what appeals to you, you'll have the satisfaction derived from pride of ownership. That said, if Jonsereds are available and cheap, they will run right with any comparable Stihl and last just as long.

My stepfather has a jonsered 535 chainsaw 80s model used it to cut firewood fell trees trimming. He has had it 20 yrs now guy before him a few yrs so it's 20-25 yrs old. That saw just keeps going. He can put it in storage fir a yr or so pull it out and fires up every time. I have used it too it feels good in the hands very maneurvable and good av.

I have a stihl 361 now and 066. Had a 460 and 290 too. And 180 for trimming.

I recommend a 40-50 cc saw for trimming and light work and 70-90cc saw for felling and cutting for what you will be doing. If it's very light trimming 30cc saw.

170 and 460 361 and 441 or 460 211 and 361 211 and 441 or similar jonsered or husky

Best chainsaw advice you will ever get.

Buy a HUSKY!

r&r

CAREFUL WITH THE HUSKY ADVICE!!! If you are looking at purchasing a Husqvarna, stick to the XP series. As the light commercial and homeowner series (anything with a primer bulb) is now built by Poulan. The XP saws are still true Huskys, and well worth the money.

Back