Chainsaw chaps--ouch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi,i have never owened a pair of cut resist chaps,any thoughts????? layers???? price--brand? thanks

I don't cut without them, I think it's foolish to do so. Mine stopped my chain once and that was all it took to get me to wear them all the time.

I got a pair of the blue husqvarna brand chaps from lowes for Christmas. Haven't had a chance to wear them while cutting yet (but I'll be wearing them tomorrow) or to see how well they work, but I tried them on and they're comfy enough. I'm sure they're not the best out there but like hamish said...

I bought the Labonville full wraps from Bailey's. The're very high quality, with and excellent fit so that one can move with ease on steep brush covered hillsides. Where I'm cutting is an 1 1/2 hours down a bad four wheel drive road, and spotty cell phone coverage. You could bleed to death before you got to help. I'm kinda fond of breathing.

Last edited:
It's a gamble. Can you cut today without an accident? If your only cutting a little is it worth taking the time to put the chaps on? If you've been cutting for years without incident why would you get cut today? The only future I can predict with reasonable accuracy is that it will be light in the morning and dark at night.

I'm not afraid of a whole lot of things but I'm not a fool either. If there are items available to minimize the chance of me getting seriously injured or killed I tend to use them. That being said I wear mine and my son just got a pair for xmas.

i was looking at buying some chaps online about an hour before i cut my knee with the saw. it wasnt too bad luckey for me. i wont cut again without them. got a little tired and maybe little careless while cutting with them on--- they will definately stop a chainsaw dead in its tracks.first i was mad i tore up my chaps but then happy it wasnt my leg.didnt even cut into the chaps much not a scratch on my jeans. its a little embarrassing tellin my story but i learned on this site to wear your ppe while cutting. i mostly cut alone on my own property and you really could bleed to death in minutes.

I asked for chaps after I brought my knee up in to the bar of my 288xp. Luckily for me I had just let off the trigger and the saw wasn't under power. I got an L shaped rip in my jeans and the faintest of scratches on my knee cap. I was stupid for using a chainsaw when i was tired but if nothing else I've got a pair of chaps now.

good stuff!!!! thank you all....yes i have had close calls,but like you said it can happen,i getting older and not made of steal like i thought i was once! never been cut by saw and dont wont to,will be getting me a pair of chaps soon!!!!...9 lives are running thin,been hit by car-long story!one arm bicep tore off bone and reattached,other arm fell against plate glass cut to the bone,kidney stones now that is the worst--made me go from superman to crying baby..lol.......................CHAPS=YES!

Back in the 60' a local school teacher cut his own firewood every year. One day he went out to cut wood, and never came back. When they found him, he had bled to death of a leg wound from his chainsaw.

For a visit to the ER with a chainsaw injury these days, you could by your own store full of Chainsaw Chaps.

I wear a pair of "Work Safe" ones from Baileys.

They're the economy ones, which was all I could afford at the time, and I've never worn other chaps.

But I do know whether it's the lowest cost or highest end ones...you wouldn't be able to pay the co-pay for the ER never mind if you uninsured.

Over the years I've cut my jeans twice, each time in the exact same place below the knee, somehow never getting any skin. Not pushing my luck :D

And remember, like most safety gear...they do have a lifetime. Check the tags on them, they probably need to be washed every so often and finally replaced -- the fibers will break down and/or get gummed up with oil and dirt that slowly soaks in and they won't do their job of jamming up the saw and causing the clutch to slip and thus the chain to stop. (I don't think any chaps are rated for electric chainsaws, which lack a clutch and thus aren't as responsive to the massive jam of fibers cutting through chaps cause.)

Where can I get chaps that are 42" ? I measured from the belt to the top of the foot .

Scott

I have Stihl brand chaps from the local dealer. Work great so far after whole season.

There a life saving investment. A chain came in contact with my chaps and they did there job and im sure saved me another nasty set of stiches and maybe even my life. Im thanful i will never know. Consider what you have to lose in the 30 seconds it takes to snap them on.

On a side note, they really save wear and tear on your blue jeans and hold up alot longer and the better half is happier my cutting cloths dont come in near as dirty as before the chaps.

Latest posts

Back