Chainsaw Files - How Long Do They Last?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont wear gloves and just use a sharp file....i really like timber savage the most. The key to getting a chain to really cut is to file the gullet out of it...you dont want to file into the straps...but you know what i mean...just to the bottom of the tooth...the gullet has more effect in how the chain cuts than you know...basically with the gullet in it..it holds the cutter back from being aggressive and actually cutting and feeding itself into and through the wood. Try it sometime.

If your using the proper size file and the correct angle and position in the tooth you will never have a problem with the gullet not being correct...

Also will never have presets and tie straps that filed through either...

How many sharpenings do you get out of chainsaw file before you have to replace it?

I ask because I broke a chainsaw file of mine that I had used for a long time (long to me) with a new one and the difference in cutting was dramatic! I guess the old file dulled gradually over time and I didn't notice.

So - how many sharpenings do you get out of a chainsaw file?

Thanks!
Bill

"Let's find out!"

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jhjb4P_jnKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One file last about 1 chain, unless you really rock out a chain. I run stihl files and like to lube em with Kroil. Helps keep the files sharp. Sharpen at every fill up or sooner if needed.

Yes...not all that much better than any other brand...I file for 1 reason...to get a sharp chain...and if the file aint doing its job it gets a toss in the round file...and another comes out of the box...

I dont have time to count how many strokes a file gets before it gets tossed...

My god ladies they are $12 a doz...if your that worried about a $1 or 2 then why cut your own wood...ever think about what your labor costs?...yes add in filing time to your labor costs...and filling up the saws and hell add in each step you take...

Suddenly the guy who ONLY wants $200 for a load wood isnt such a rip off artist now is he?

Very true,

always said I ain't selling any wood, too much labor involved for the price most people want to pay.

We cut for ourselves, and Friends/Family

I have just begun filing my own and am using the Save Edge files as well.

The question I have now is 'How often?'

One side says after every use, the other says only when needed ...

Thoughts?

It's worthwhile to touch up everytime you fill up with gas - or if you had an accident. If you wait until the "when needed" then you're going to have more work on your hands than you'd really want to have.

A file only cuts in 1 direction, so if you don't drag it on the back stroke it will last longer. With that being said they are cheap and I doubt I get more than 1 chain out of a file maybe less. CJ

I have just begun filing my own and am using the Save Edge files as well.

The question I have now is 'How often?'

One side says after every use, the other says only when needed ...

Thoughts?

I go with when needed.

It's worthwhile to touch up everytime you fill up with gas - or if you had an accident. If you wait until the "when needed" then you're going to have more work on your hands than you'd really want to have.

I've hit dirt filled centers on the 2nd cut and would have never made it to fill up time. Real ####ty wood could be several touch ups for 1 tank. Just cutting tops off the ground have seen a few tankfulls before being just wood dull.
When needed works for me.

If your using the proper size file and the correct angle and position in the tooth you will never have a problem with the gullet not being correct...

Also will never have presets and tie straps that filed through either...

Some people hold too high and thats their problem why its not cutting like it should.

This would have been really good if you would have done per DL. But a Bold statement and generalization such as "sharpenings" make this down right just somewhat believable. :laugh:

Per cutter, not per dl - remember skip chain, and chain with odd dl counts! :hmm3grin2orange: :laugh: :laugh:

I believe holding the file too low is a more common mistake, but I don't see how this relate to the original topic.......

It depends if your talking about a new chain or one thats filed back halfway....and your first filing you should set the groove for the file to ride anyway....and that is when the tooth is the highest and longest...as you file the tooth gets shorter in height...and your file should go deeper to accomadate. There isnt only one way to file a chain. Keep the gullet clean...always. Make sure your top plate has an angle forward towards the raker not back towards the back of the cutter...make sure the sideplate has enough roll in it...too lottle roll and you get very poor performance. I could go on...but ill stop there. And use the right file for the job...i start with 7/32 and switch to 13/64 if i have one a little more than halfway filed back. On oregon chain you can do either but stihl chain it is almost a must to switch.

2 Words, Save Edge, I have used them ALL and these are some very aggressive and long lasting files. They are European steel with USA grind, Nuff said!

...... And use the right file for the job...i start with 7/32 and switch to 13/64 if i have one a little more than halfway filed back. On oregon chain you can do either but stihl chain it is almost a must to switch.

I have no problem with that part of your post - I do about the same. :msp_biggrin:

To a certain extent, you can "resharpen" files by soaking them in mild acid for a short period.
This will also remove any stuck filings.

I never tried that, but it also helps to "bang" them and brush them - I do that pretty often, depending on where I am at the moment.

I never tried that, but it also helps to "bang" them and brush them - I do that pretty often, depending on where I am at the moment.

The "edit" doesn't work at the moment, so here is the rest of that post;

Twisting the file when filing will also help.

Back