Chainsaw filing secrets PART TWO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAH

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
There are no secrets. This is simple stuff. Don't need a guide, machine, instructions, or anything but a file & my keen eye. Put this chain on (top picture), took my trusty file & after a few minutes it was sharp (bottom picture).

DSC03622.jpg

DSC03616.jpg

There are no secrets. This is simple stuff. Don't need a guide, machine, instructions, or anything but a file & my keen eye. Put this chain on (top picture), took my trusty file & after a few minutes it was sharp (bottom picture).

DSC03622.jpg

DSC03616.jpg

Nice Job!!!

I gotta get me whatever file brand you're using.:msp_sneaky:

Now about that eyeball of yours...your angles are slightly off.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Height varying quite a bit too. The brew's for AFTER. :cool2:

One filing??????? Ummm, didn't you get a little carried away there? If not remind me to never have you sharpen my chains. :msp_scared: Two uses and they'd be done!

Just giving you a hard time as I'm sure that has to be 15 or 20 sharpenings later in the 2nd picture. :cheers:

Nah, he's the guy that sharpens chains for the local saw shop. ;o)

Nah, he's the guy that sharpens chains for the local saw shop. ;o)

He's taught his craft well. There's someone trained by him at at least half the shops around here. Most aren't as good as the master though, and the cutters turn a nice shade of blue. I was told (really, no BS here) that getting the cutters blued hot made em stay sharp longer. Haven't been in that shop's doors since. Another told me that rakers were self adjusting, that they wore down to match the tooth. Arrrrg.

DSC03622.jpg

DSC03616.jpg

Now grinds the rakers right off and that thing will really cut.

How much? I got some cable needs buried and that would be awesome for a trenching chain on a borrowed saw...(Installed backwards of course)

New Way

Looks like he stood on his head, looked in a mirror and crossed his arms while filing this chain. He needs to finish the job because some of the tooth is still there. :hmm3grin2orange:

Nosmo

Hmmmmm!
I've ben having difficulties with hand sharpening and according to those pics I think I know why now.
Need more files!

I've always run the Stihl at home & on the job but my buddy no longer handles them & picked up Husqvarna so I see them in my future.

Latest posts

Back