Chainsaw Forum Questions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you like to see?

• Keep it as it is

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • combine Hot Saw and Chainsaw forum and get rid of sub forums

Votes: 21 12.7%
  • bring in sub forums from hot saws and make chainsaws full of sub forums to choose from

Votes: 64 38.8%
  • Don't care, only here to disrupt.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • put it all together and while you are at it, get rid of the stickies!!

Votes: 28 17.0%

• Total voters
Darin
I don't know if you can do it, but could members signatures be omitted from the search engine results?

Anytime you do a search for say an 066bb or any other saw, it brings up a lot of results that have nothing to do with that saw.

As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...

If you can force people to have to choose if they are asking a chainsaw, filing, modding, hotsaw, etc. question you may make things work better. So many people ask filing questions in the chainsaw section it would work better if you can get people to choose where to post correctly.

But, can you change behavior? Well, you can try!

As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...

If you can force people to have to choose if they are asking a chainsaw, filing, modding, hotsaw, etc. question you may make things work better. So many people ask filing questions in the chainsaw section it would work better if you can get people to choose where to post correctly.

But, can you change behavior? Well, you can try!

The main issue is I would do Subforums in a heartbeat and I think we could get most people to the right forum BUT I HATE SUBFORUMS. It almost needs them but I can't get over not liking them. That is why I asked to get some feedback.:highfive:

I say if it has anything to do with a chainsaw, it's chainsaw. It would be nice to have everything chainsaw related in one forum. I think there are too many forums, I hate sub forums. I would thin out the stickies, some imo are not needed. Do a poll on what stickys to keep.

Are you talking about doing asub forum in specific saws would be nice as in

vintage saws
Stihl
Huski
Homelite
Dolmar
and so forth so that each of the main saw manufactures can be represented under one sub so if a persons post does not drop off so fast? Or does that harm the forum from people not seeing all post?

It seems other forums are more specific about since there are so many different saws.

Currently it does seem like a lot under one sub for most of the info under just chainsaws.

Are you talking about doing asub forum in specific saws would be nice as in

vintage saws
Stihl
Huski
Homelite
Dolmar
and so forth so that each of the main saw manufactures can be represented under one sub so if a persons post does not drop off so fast? Or does that harm the forum from people not seeing all post?

It seems other forums are more specific about since there are so many different saws.

Currently it does seem like a lot under one sub for most of the info under just chainsaws.

Yes that is what I am asking.

I certainly like the idea of bringing it all together under chainsaw, then seperating it out in sub forums.

Stock saws
Muffler Modifications
Porting/modded work saws
Race Saws/Race Chain
General Chain sharpening
Vintage Saws
etc.

Keeps it cleaner, just like 056 kid said in another post, like looking at a card index at the library. It would be just like the new format, took a couple of weeks for people to appreciate it for the improvement.

I say do what ever you want too. Your the Big Kahuna

Or just leave it the way it is cause it works. If somebody doesnt like a thread, they dont have to reply. It is real easy to skip threads, or even block users if the need arises.

I'd remove the Brand specific stickys,(they get bumped daily anyway) that's almost half of them, keep the others.

One place for everything chainsaw. No sub forums. :cheers:

I say do what ever you want too. Your the Big Kahuna

Or just leave it the way it is cause it works. If somebody doesnt like a thread, they dont have to reply. It is real easy to skip threads, or even block users if the need arises.

Yeah, but part of being the "Kahuna" is making sure people are happy. It's been a standard January. I think any owner should listen to their customers. Some things (business side) I feel that I deal with and I don't need others telling me how to run it. That is not this. When I read the poll that asked people about the mod saw forum and most didn't even know it was there. That tells me that this area needs work. With that, I need to focus on getting the most out of each post. Putting it into one pool, I feel personally would do that. By the posters (you guys) the polls show that you want it organized. The replied posts don't really show that. I need to read this for the next couple days and do something about it at that point.

A good point. It just seems that things have been this way for so long, that it was standard for most of the posts to be in the chainsaw forum.

At first their will be whining about the change, just like the new format, and then the Moderators will straighten everything out- as usual and everything will go on as normal as everybody adjusts.

Ever since I joined this site, I have just used the "todays posts" link, or the "new post link". . . Then I read thread titles, and that tells me whether I want to have a look -- no matter what forum it's in.

IMO, that "todays post" link is an under used tool, that is extremely helpful in navigating.

Maybe make it bigger and in a "button style", so newbies and the old-guard alike know it's there?

That button allows you to navigate thru the new stuff, and work your way back. . . If it's a thread you've been watching via 'subscribe', it emails you about new post anyway.

My 2¢

I'd probably learn a lot more if all chainsaw related catagories were combined. I've never checked out race , hot, or modified, so if info were before me I'd read it. I like the brand specific stickies, but as mentioned, they'll keep getting bumped anyway. I split most of my time between Milling and Chainswas, so I'll just go with the flo, Joe.

FAQ's (seriously, your question has been asked 97 times before).
Poulan, Homelite, McCulloch, Sachs-Dolmar, etc.
Chainsaws
Modded work saws
Hot saws
Filing (if your chain ain't sharp what is the point?)

WhAT!!!!!!!

Darin, Darin, Darin.I'm glad you put a poll up!Okay really I don't know jack compared to most of these guys on here but it seems that everyone is entitled to an opinion and I like to express mine.So far from a brief scan of posts I guess I'm siding with pioneerguy600-indiansprings-metals406 might have missed a couple.It's not because I just like these guys I think there on the right track.Hey I luv ya Arrowhead but I'm not really tickled with what your saying, no offense intended what so ever.I'll be lost!
I like the idea of having the Chainsaw Forum with sub forums.I look at it like this.I have a chainsaw post,go to the Chainsaw Forum.Now I have a modded chainsaw post,simple go to the modded chainsaw sub forum and so on and so on.
I like the idea of the stickies at the top of the first page of the Chainsaw Forum.Okay I'm biased here as the Pioneer sticky is my favourite.But I have seen many times when someone makes a post about a Pioneer as a new thread when they should have gone right to the Pioneer thread and asked.This goes with the Poulan thread and so on.Now if some guy has a modded saw question and and the modding is on a Pioneer,put it up in the Pioneer thread.I think everyone gets where I'm coming from and hope I haven't made any enemies because well I'd have to go and have a cry about that and get additional meds as well!
Sorry this was so long winded.
Lawrence

Back